BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 2024 X1 M35i on the way...

05-11-2024, 04:29 PM   #1
Auriemma
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, soon to be X1

2024 X1 M35i on the way...

Hi,
New here, not to BMW.

I am currently driving a 2014 X3, and waiting on a X1 M35i to arrive. I'm reading a lot of problems with the X1 and ID9/CarPlay. My X3 has fought using my iPhone (various models) since day one (10 years). Its only become worse as iPhone updates and the X3 is no longer supported (and updated to its last version). After so many attempts to fix the X3 and iPhone, the dealer paid me to live with the problem.

I'm questioning if it's worth getting the X1 with all these unfixed issues. It's a lot of money to drop on a car with buggy software and other issues. I really don't want to go through that again.

Buy the X1 or look elsewhere?
Your opinions are appreciated,
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 06:16 PM   #2
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriemma View Post
Hi,
New here, not to BMW.

I am currently driving a 2014 X3, and waiting on a X1 M35i to arrive. I'm reading a lot of problems with the X1 and ID9/CarPlay. My X3 has fought using my iPhone (various models) since day one (10 years). Its only become worse as iPhone updates and the X3 is no longer supported (and updated to its last version). After so many attempts to fix the X3 and iPhone, the dealer paid me to live with the problem.

I'm questioning if it's worth getting the X1 with all these unfixed issues. It's a lot of money to drop on a car with buggy software and other issues. I really don't want to go through that again.

Thanks
I think coming from an x3, you may feel underwhelmed with the x1.

Think it depends on your usage needs but ultimately, if I had to do it all over again, I’d prob just go for the x3 or another manufacturer.

The car itself is not bad, it’s def not up to par with the other M lite line models in performance or features.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 07:48 PM   #3
Auriemma
Rep

I've test driven the X28i. It was more than capable for my needs. So I can only assume the M35i will be better than that.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 03:59 AM   #4
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Hi,
New here, not to BMW.

Thanks
Hello

I'm in the process of writing you a very long, lengthy, yet detailed response about the MY24 X1 and X3, but I wanted to quickly tell you that I would recommend you getting the X3 and this is coming from someone who has had TWO X1's in the past - both E84 and F48 models.

iDrive - 7, in my opinion is still the best system BMW has made and I don't really hear too many problems - just a Software Update issue and occasionally a CarPlay/Android Auto issue, but nothing absurd or out of the ordinary.

That said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that BMW will still offer support/subscriptions for iDrive - 7 for quite some time and I say this because the following MY24 BMW's still use iDrive - 7:
- X3/X4 (incl. M40i's and M's)
- The 8's - Coupes, Convertibles, and the Gran Coupe (incl. M8 and Alpina B8)
- The Z4's (incl. M40i models)
- The M235i Gran Coupe

I believe the services will expire when the car is 4 years old and aged out of its warranty, but you can add all those services back, but I wouldn't worry about that.

Oh and here is a fun fact: Despite BMW releasing iDrive - 9 for the X1 and iDrive 8.5 in a lot of their other models, the following MY24 vehicles still use iDrive 8:
- The 3 series (incl. M3)
- The M4 coupe and convertible
- The 2 series coupe
- The X5M/X6M/XM

BMW is just doing too damn much with all of these Operating Systems (OS) and that might be contributing to all the problems they are experiencing.... my cousin just got a 2024 iX - M60, which uses iDrive - 8.5 and in a car that cost north of $100,000, we've experienced the following
1. The Automatic Date and Time was completely off and thus had to disable the automatic feature to put the correct date and time in
2. While outside the dealership, the car had our map location/position somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.... -_____-

Anyways, I'll post my detailed response soon, be on the lookout for it!

But I would say go with the X3, because the iDrive - 9 system makes me want to unplug the whole BMW brand, wait a few minutes, and then try plugging it back in using a different outlet.... I would also do some research about Digital Premium, which is a 3 month subscription that you get with your X1 and I would see if Siri/Google/Alexa are usable even without the subscription service.

Oh and if you get an X3, make sure you get the Harman Kardon Surround Sound System (688) and the Parking Assistance Package (ZPK)
- Remote Engine Start and Drive Recorder are also important, but they can be added via the Connected Drive story at a later point
NOTE: The Drive Recorder is BMW's dash cam and requires the Parking Assistance Package

Hope this helps,

Cameron
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2024, 04:23 PM   #5
jones99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2024 X1 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
I think coming from an x3, you may feel underwhelmed with the x1.

Think it depends on your usage needs but ultimately, if I had to do it all over again, I’d prob just go for the x3 or another manufacturer.

The car itself is not bad, it’s def not up to par with the other M lite line models in performance or features.
I couldn't agree with this more. The X1 M35i is fairly underwhelming performance-wise. My son has a normal X1 and I can barely tell the difference. The software system in the 2024 X1s is absolute garbage. It is beta software at best. As a developer myself, I find it a amazing that BMW would release such an unfinished product. The list of issues is lengthy. I bought the car for my wife and she absolutely hates it.

Not to be totally negative, I do like the car - at least what the car is supposed to be. I suspect that in about a year, BMW will get the software where it should be. I think the car looks good - better than my son's non M lite car. That being said, I don't know if I would spend the extra to get the M35i again. The car I drive is an X3 M40i and that car is fun to drive. Others that own both cars have posted that the X1 M35i has performance that rivals the X3 M40i and I just don't see it. For me, it is isn't close. I also think the X3 looks better.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:46 AM   #6
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

To be honest all the M Sport X1 look fantastic and so you don’t need the M35 to get that look and as you say the performance is not that much better than lesser engine sizes in the real world.

The software is a problem for many, however I haven’t had any id9 issues since last June when I first tool delivery. However I don’t have use for much of the car technology, which I think offers too much configuration, in some ways they have made a rod for their own backs by the sheer volume of software configurations that can be had.

I get in the car drive it, listen to the radio and use Carplay, check the live vehicle data, make and receive calls and messages and turn off the driver aids and that’s it. All of that works perfectly and frankly that’s all I need to do…
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #7
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones99 View Post
I couldn't agree with this more. The X1 M35i is fairly underwhelming performance-wise. My son has a normal X1 and I can barely tell the difference. The software system in the 2024 X1s is absolute garbage. It is beta software at best. As a developer myself, I find it a amazing that BMW would release such an unfinished product. The list of issues is lengthy. I bought the car for my wife and she absolutely hates it.

Not to be totally negative, I do like the car - at least what the car is supposed to be. I suspect that in about a year, BMW will get the software where it should be. I think the car looks good - better than my son's non M lite car. That being said, I don't know if I would spend the extra to get the M35i again. The car I drive is an X3 M40i and that car is fun to drive. Others that own both cars have posted that the X1 M35i has performance that rivals the X3 M40i and I just don't see it. For me, it is isn't close. I also think the X3 looks better.

Just my 2 cents.
Couldn’t agree more, the m40i is a different class vs the m35i.

Ones a 4 cylinder transverse Dct vs the legendary B58 on the ZF transmission.
Trying to compare these two is like trying to compare a Corolla GR vs a Supra GR very different cars, respectable in their own rights but not apples to apples.

I have now driven the 28i, m35i, 30i the m40i between both models.

They are not the same but are not intended to be, the issue really stems from the marketing campaign (or lack thereof) and BMW trying to market the m35i as a sports car which it is far from it.

I would dare say this specific trim gets the short end of the stick in both performance, luxury, handling, and overall aesthetic. The gas economy compared to both is comparable. Paper says high 20’s for m40i but I’ve read from multiple other users they clock in 32-34mpg regularly, I actually have yet to hit that mpg on my m35i, even in efficient mode.

Just a few thoughts to consider
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:42 AM   #8
Luff9
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 M35i

Here are some of my observations on the performance aspect after driving and owning both the pre-LCI X3 M40i and the X1 M35i:

Straight line speed:
The M35i is much slower to get off the line compared to the M40i or any other M-lite that uses the B48A20T1. The DCT mapping and the lower torque (295 lb-ft from the U10/11 M35i vs 332 lb-ft from the F39 M35i) could be the reasons. Yet the M35i does pick up speed quickly once the car starts moving, but obviously, it is slower than what the M40i can do.

Handling:
The M35i is basically a small FWD hatchback, it does torque steering in 2nd/3rd gear if you accelerate hard. However the car is very nimble and the turn-in is relatively accurate. The car tends to oversteer in the middle of the corner but it isn't what you normally feel in a RWD car. IMHO, it's more fun to drive the M35i than the M40i on tight back roads due to its smaller size and lighter weight.

Gas consumption:
The M35i eats tons of gas if u predominantly drive in a city. I live in the downtown area and I averaged 17.8mpg in April (higher than 100% of other M35i as per the BMW app lol). My previous M40i had similar gas consumption but still, the M35i shouldn't use that much gas with 2 fewer cylinders.

Engine/exhaust sound:
Incomparable. The Pre-LCI M40i has the best sound while the M35i only has piped-in exhaust noise. The M35i does have a loud turbo spooling sound tho.

Final verdict:
The M35i isn't for everyone. It could be a decent car if u live in a crowded city area and love driving on back roads during the weekend. The DCT lag could be eliminated if you put the gear setting in S and manually change gears.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #9
justridebike
Rep
Drives: X1 M35i

My thoughts after 6 months:
IDrive9 has gotten much better since original SW release. Still got some bugs that they are slowly ironing out. You should expect CarPlay will never work right but turning it off and going full BMW for maps, Spotify, etc. is actually very functional. I’ve gotten use to it and don’t even think about CarPlay anymore.

It handles wonderfully for a hot hatch. Your going to hate the DCT if you’ve never driven a manual transmission. It lurches like crazy. Test drive before you buy. The interior is very nice, don’t let people tell you otherwise. Is it an X3 M40i? No, its 10k less. After 6 months of ownership, I’m happy with the purchase. There just isn’t another luxury/sporty subcompact that will give you this type of driving experience for $55K.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #10
Auriemma
Rep

Look what arrived today. I still haven't taken possession... yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      Today, 02:28 AM   #11
mavericksid
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Look what arrived today. I still haven't taken possession... yet.
Congratulations! People will say what they want, ignore and enjoy your ride.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:35 AM   #12
Tunners
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) 30e M Sport

Congrats on the new car, hope all goes well on pick up. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:50 AM   #13
Auriemma
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luff9 View Post
Here are some of my observations on the performance aspect after driving and owning both the pre-LCI X3 M40i and the X1 M35i:

Straight line speed:
The M35i is much slower to get off the line compared to the M40i or any other M-lite that uses the B48A20T1. The DCT mapping and the lower torque (295 lb-ft from the U10/11 M35i vs 332 lb-ft from the F39 M35i) could be the reasons. Yet the M35i does pick up speed quickly once the car starts moving, but obviously, it is slower than what the M40i can do.

Handling:
The M35i is basically a small FWD hatchback, it does torque steering in 2nd/3rd gear if you accelerate hard. However the car is very nimble and the turn-in is relatively accurate. The car tends to oversteer in the middle of the corner but it isn't what you normally feel in a RWD car. IMHO, it's more fun to drive the M35i than the M40i on tight back roads due to its smaller size and lighter weight.

Gas consumption:
The M35i eats tons of gas if u predominantly drive in a city. I live in the downtown area and I averaged 17.8mpg in April (higher than 100% of other M35i as per the BMW app lol). My previous M40i had similar gas consumption but still, the M35i shouldn't use that much gas with 2 fewer cylinders.

Engine/exhaust sound:
Incomparable. The Pre-LCI M40i has the best sound while the M35i only has piped-in exhaust noise. The M35i does have a loud turbo spooling sound tho.

Final verdict:
The M35i isn't for everyone. It could be a decent car if u live in a crowded city area and love driving on back roads during the weekend. The DCT lag could [...]
My X3 x28i has plenty of power for me. I don’t “need” a rocket ship. I understand how to roll into the throttle to reduce turbo lag. So I think I’ll do fine in the X1 M35i.

I’m not racing her. As my wife put it, forget all your specs and buy a car you want and will enjoy driving. The X3 was plenty, this should be more.

I drive mostly suburbs and highways, It won’t get the greatest mpg but I’m hoping it’s equal/better than the X3 (22/27).

As for the “piped in” exhaust note, I hope there is an off switch. What comes out of the actual pipes is fine for me.

Thanks for your review.
Appreciate 0