BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) X-Line (UK spec) X1: do the mirrors fold, without the Technology Pack?

06-26-2023, 08:47 AM   #1
10woo
Rep
Drives: X1 (U11) xLine on order

X-Line (UK spec) X1: do the mirrors fold, without the Technology Pack?

New UK member here … apologies if this has been covered before, but the search function doesn’t seem to be delivering quite the answer I’m looking for.

I’m on the brink of ordering the X-Line version of the X1. But the UK tax rules mean that I need to keep the total price under £40k, so I’ve decided to live without the Technology Pack (other options appeal much more). But my dealer says that without the Technology Pack my car - in UK spec - won’t come with electrically-folding wing mirrors. Which strikes me as pretty astonishing, given that even my 12-year old VW Eos has electrically-folding mirrors as standard.

The configurator on the BMW UK website does say that the Technology Pack includes ‘Folding Wing Mirrors with Auto-dimming’. I had been assuming that it was the auto-dimming feature which was added in the Technology Pack – but my dealer clearly disagrees. I have explored on-line at length, but I can't find a reliable reference anywhere to whatever mirror functions are supplied as standard in any of the X1 trim levels in the UK. Nor, in the UK configurator, is there any option to order ‘Folding Wing Mirrors with Auto-dimming’ without buying the whole Technology Pack.

So, if there are any UK members here with an X1 (U11) in X-Line trim – but without the Technology Pack – I’d be hugely grateful to know what your wing mirrors actually do. I don’t really need them to fold in automatically when I lock the vehicle. But I do want to be able to fold them in electrically, using a control on the driver’s door, when parking or when driving down narrow/busy streets. If my dealer is correct, and if UK customers do need the whole Technology Pack just to do that, then in my case BMW would be expecting me to pay £1680 for the privilege plus £1950 in excess ‘luxury car tax’. Which is likely to be a deal-breaker…
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 03:21 PM   #2
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

While I can't answer your question with 100% accuracy, when I was specifying my X1 sDrive20i (model below the Xline), the only way I could get electrically folding mirrors was to buy the technology pack. The dealer tried to persuade me to stretch my budget to an Xline, but I do remember asking him if electrically folding mirrors were included as standard in the Xline and it was a no.

My last three cars had folding mirrors as standard, and I agree with you that it is astonishing that BMW make us buy this expensive pack just to get a feature that is standard in so many run-of-the-mill cars.

I don't care that the mirrors don't fold all the time - I like the feature for the same reasons you like it.

I didn't option the tech pack and can confirm that my mirrors do not fold electrically. With just over 6,000miles under my belt with the X1, so far there has only been one occasion when I wish I could have folded the mirrors from within whilst driving (tight spot on a ferry).

Yes, it's annoying that electrically folding mirrors are not part of the standard kit, but obviously not a deal breaker for me.

Have you considered getting the sDrive model but specifying a couple of packs and upgrading the wheels? The differences outside are subtle and you would still stay comfortablly below the magic £40k
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 03:23 PM   #3
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

The configuration lists it adds folding mirrors with auto dimming, looks pretty clear if you want folding mirrors you need the tech pack.

Info below from the option extras in the online brochure.

FOLDING WING MIRRORS WITH AUTO-DIMMING.

The folding side mirrors with auto-dimming also feature an automatic parking function on the front passenger's exterior mirror. This function also includes mirror memory. Standard for M Sport models, or available as part of Technology and Technology Plus Packs for Sport and xLine models.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 03:30 PM   #4
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep

Further to my reply above, I'm really curious to know if the motors that fold the mirrors are actually physically present in 'non-electrically folding mirrors' but that they are simply disconnected (yes, I know the switch gear on the door is different too) - but I'm too chicken to attempt taking a mirror apart just to satisfy my curiosity!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 03:48 AM   #5
10woo
Rep
Drives: X1 (U11) xLine on order

Thank you both - that's extremely helpful.

Duncs1961 - a follow-up question, if I may. I'm assuming that, without the Technology Pack, both front mirrors can still be folded-in manually - is that correct? Our issue is that we live in an apartment with a communal underground car-park. Parking there isn't as fraught as a ferry, but we (and many others) still fold-in the mirrors as a matter of course every time we park. Better safe than sorry, etc. If your X1 does offer manual-fold-in, does the mechanism feel well-made/reassuring to you? Would you be confident-enough about folding-in by hand a few times a week over quite a number of years?

The alternative - if I can ever get my head round spending so much on the Technology Pack when all we want is the mirrors - is indeed to re-jig our options wish-list so as to stay under £40k. At the moment the key culprit here for us is the leather seats. My wife and I both like such seats, for the look and especially for the durability: we keep our cars for many, many years. BMW's more affordable Veganza 'artificial leather' option is an unknown quantity to us (and no-one, of course, yet knows how well it is going to age). The 'perforated' Veganza finish is also a bit of a concern. So I guess we're going to have to do a bit more research about that. Who knew that mere wing mirrors might be such an issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 04:10 AM   #6
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10woo View Post

Duncs1961 - a follow-up question, if I may. I'm assuming that, without the Technology Pack, both front mirrors can still be folded-in manually - is that correct? Our issue is that we live in an apartment with a communal underground car-park. Parking there isn't as fraught as a ferry, but we (and many others) still fold-in the mirrors as a matter of course every time we park. Better safe than sorry, etc. If your X1 does offer manual-fold-in, does the mechanism feel well-made/reassuring to you? Would you be confident-enough about folding-in by hand a few times a week over quite a number of years?

The alternative - if I can ever get my head round spending so much on the Technology Pack when all we want is the mirrors - is indeed to re-jig our options wish-list so as to stay under £40k. At the moment the key culprit here for us is the leather seats. My wife and I both like such seats, for the look and especially for the durability: we keep our cars for many, many years. BMW's more affordable Veganza 'artificial leather' option is an unknown quantity to us (and no-one, of course, yet knows how well it is going to age). The 'perforated' Veganza finish is also a bit of a concern. So I guess we're going to have to do a bit more research about that. Who knew that mere wing mirrors might be such an issue?
For what it’s worth, after owning 2 BMW’s with leather, and now on my 2nd with Sensatec, durability wise the sensatec held up better for me with less care. The leather does feel “warmer” and a little more supple, but honestly the Sensatec feels pretty close. Veganza is a newer option so I can’t say with certainty if the quality is the same, but I’d personally probably get it instead of leather.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #7
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10woo View Post

I have folded them a couple of times manually (once on a ferry and once in a car park with tight spaces), so yes, they do fold (I think they have to by regulation, so that they 'give' is someone bumps into them). They fold with a satisfying 'click' once fully folded and yes, they feel sturdy.

I optioned the 'Sensatec' seats and have to say, I'm really pleased with the feel and comfrot of the material. Even in the hot weather we have been having lately, they are still comfortable when wearing shorts. My understanding is the new material, 'Veganza', is very similar to Sensatec.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 02:09 PM   #8
SAS X1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Although I'm in the US, my parking situation is quite similar. And I also made my purchase with a specific budget in mind. However, I didn't discover that the mirrors on the x-Line—without the "convenience package", as it's called here—were not auto-folding until after the fact. I've generally been happy with the car, but this was a big disappointment.

That said, it probably wouldn't have been a deal-breaker, annoying as it is that it's not standard. The same goes for heated seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
Further to my reply above, I'm really curious to know if the motors that fold the mirrors are actually physically present in 'non-electrically folding mirrors' but that they are simply disconnected (yes, I know the switch gear on the door is different too) - but I'm too chicken to attempt taking a mirror apart just to satisfy my curiosity!
I'd like to know this too!
Appreciate 0