BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Dealer gave my key to someone else?

07-22-2023, 06:07 PM   #1
2023x1maybe
Rep
Drives: 5 series

Dealer gave my key to someone else?

Took delivery on Wednesday, dealer couldn’t find second key fob. They eventually “find” it, and we drive away. That second key fob doesn’t work, despite me trying to register it, getting frustrated that I’m doing something wrong. Go to dealer today and after about a half hour they tell me that they gave me the wrong key, and that my key was delivered that morning to someone else and that the second key I had was that other person’s. Said they’d do their best to get that other person to come back with my key, and once that happens I can come back to the dealer and get my second key. Not having a second key means I can’t set up digital keys and my wife and I have to key swap… for logistics reasons a bit of a pain.

I’m irritated about having the delivery pickup being slow, having to spend time troubleshooting on my own, then using my Saturday afternoon going to the dealer, and having to come back to the dealer (who knows when) to get my second key. Get that things happen but crappy experience, and no offer of anything for the inconvenience—should I just leave it alone or push it?

Also partly unhappy because ordering was a bad experience—ordered, sales associate left, dealer forgot about my order (or bumped it down in priority because the sales associate was gone) which delayed delivery, dealer was generally unresponsive on basic questions, dealer forgot I had traded my car in early, list goes on. Nothing truly bad, just a series of irritations.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 06:41 PM   #2
zerbitini
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

The dealer should have never let you leave the dealership without the “Genius” helping you set up BOTH keys. They would have found that they had given you the wrong 2nd key at that time.
Did they offer that service?
      07-22-2023, 06:58 PM   #3
2023x1maybe
Rep

No, we got to sit in the car a bit, which is when I paired my wife’s phone to the car and started to figure out the basics. And then realized we didn’t have a second key, which we had to ask for—were then told it was already given to us, my wife and I then awkwardly searched through her purse and helped look in the car to determine we did not in fact have the second key. That was it. I didn’t know there was a genius at the dealer until I came in today and they brought in the genius to try and fix the issue. Weirdly, they then blamed the genius in front of me for getting the keys mixed up and called him an idiot—which bothered me just as much as the initial screw up.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 07:02 PM   #4
2023x1maybe
Rep

All of this is kind of weird, right? My second bmw (first from this dealership) and something like 6th car purchase and it’s been by far the worst.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 02:56 AM   #5
Bam-Bam
Private
Rep
Drives: Ix1 xdrive30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerbitini View Post
The dealer should have never let you leave the dealership without the “Genius” helping you set up BOTH keys. They would have found that they had given you the wrong 2nd key at that time.
Did they offer that service?
Exactly, this is the way it should go.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 03:36 PM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023x1maybe View Post
Took delivery on Wednesday, dealer couldn’t find second key fob. They eventually “find” it, and we drive away. That second key fob doesn’t work, despite me trying to register it, getting frustrated that I’m doing something wrong. Go to dealer today and after about a half hour they tell me that they gave me the wrong key, and that my key was delivered that morning to someone else and that the second key I had was that other person’s. Said they’d do their best to get that other person to come back with my key, and once that happens I can come back to the dealer and get my second key. Not having a second key means I can’t set up digital keys and my wife and I have to key swap… for logistics reasons a bit of a pain.

I’m irritated about having the delivery pickup being slow, having to spend time troubleshooting on my own, then using my Saturday afternoon going to the dealer, and having to come back to the dealer (who knows when) to get my second key. Get that things happen but crappy experience, and no offer of anything for the inconvenience—should I just leave it alone or push it?

Also partly unhappy because ordering was a bad experience—ordered, sales associate left, dealer forgot about my order (or bumped it down in priority because the sales associate was gone) which delayed delivery, dealer was generally unresponsive on basic questions, dealer forgot I had traded my car in early, list goes on. Nothing truly bad, just a series of irritations.
"Do their best?" F*** that. That's your key and they need to get it back or pay for 2 brand new replacement fobs for you. You need both fobs if you want to set up digital key on your phone.

My sales associate programmed both fobs and digital key and my app at delivery. Yours should have done this for you and the other customer; then the would have known.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2023, 09:03 PM   #7
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023x1maybe View Post
All of this is kind of weird, right? My second bmw (first from this dealership) and something like 6th car purchase and it’s been by far the worst.
What crappy service. And to call the Genius an idiot in front of you? Calling him an idiot even out of earshot of anybody is awful. Can you call corporate, or Customer Relations to complain? I would. Their number is 1-800-831-1117. (This is US obviously.)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 04:49 PM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Unfortunately this is the difference between a bad dealer vs. a good dealer. A good dealer would have programmed a key from the parts department to solve your issue immediately, then taken it upon themselves to track down the key and then return that one to their inventory. It was their mistake after all.
Appreciate 0