BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Xpel PPF

08-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #23
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
The $9k is from an Xpel facility (not third-party) not using pre-cut.

I've reached out to a few, but honestly I'm not getting any callbacks. I drove to one location that hadn't responded, and they're quoting $7,200 for a full wrap using Xpel not using pre-cut taking about 5-6 days to complete. They also quoted $2,200 full front taking 3-4 days to complete.

I don't feel like driving to every location I've reached out. We both work from home barely putting on 7,500 miles a year, and at this point I feel like just doing full front and leaving it at that.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #24
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

arRod -

Was responding to post #19
BTW, does/will the Xpel HQ facility do either at least a single stage correction (paint polish) before filming. Or just clay clean and film....
The surfaces just need to be clean for film install. In my travels , I've seen shops that just do PPF....no paint correction. IMO, what's the point of that once you lock in the defects below the film.

Depending on how good the paint condition is, it's not uncommon maybe to dial the paint in on a 2 stage before filming.

YMMV on paint prep before install
YMMV and how ones eyes interpret/sees paint defects just the same I suppose...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #25
mattig
Rep
Drives: X45e

On the topic of pre-cut vs bulk, keep in mind that installers have the ability to print kits/templates with some overrun, basically obviating a bulk install.

I would also recommend getting an idea of the kind of defects that your installer views as normal/unavoidable. Granted, I would never see any on a lighter colored vehicle, nor would they have altered my decision to get PPF (which I got for ease of washing and paint maintenance), but it would have been nice to know what to expect.

I also wanted to repost this youtube channel I found on the forum:
Appreciate 1
TX-BMW15.00
      11-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #26
TX-BMW
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
The $9k is from an Xpel facility (not third-party) not using pre-cut.

I've reached out to a few, but honestly I'm not getting any callbacks. I drove to one location that hadn't responded, and they're quoting $7,200 for a full wrap using Xpel not using pre-cut taking about 5-6 days to complete. They also quoted $2,200 full front taking 3-4 days to complete.

I don't feel like driving to every location I've reached out. We both work from home barely putting on 7,500 miles a year, and at this point I feel like just doing full front and leaving it at that.
New to the forum and located in SAT, too. I have quotes from several places in town and wondered if you ended up getting it done.

For others reading this, Xpel is headquartered in San Antonio, and the shop mentioned is their factory shop. For a full front, they seemed to be priced right with everyone else, but there is a pretty big price difference between them and others for the full vehicle.

I'm really torn on getting this done... I hate to spend the money on it and mostly considering it because my X5 is black, and I want to avoid swirls.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 09:48 AM   #27
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-BMW View Post
New to the forum and located in SAT, too. I have quotes from several places in town and wondered if you ended up getting it done.

For others reading this, Xpel is headquartered in San Antonio, and the shop mentioned is their factory shop. For a full front, they seemed to be priced right with everyone else, but there is a pretty big price difference between them and others for the full vehicle.

I'm really torn on getting this done... I hate to spend the money on it and mostly considering it because my X5 is black, and I want to avoid swirls.
I did not get it done, and am still debating. There was another place I looked at close by there that was slightly less expensive, and the cars in their shop had nice quality from what I saw, but haven't made a full decision as I've been so busy.
Appreciate 1
TX-BMW15.00
      11-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #28
TX-BMW
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
I did not get it done, and am still debating. There was another place I looked at close by there that was slightly less expensive, and the cars in their shop had nice quality from what I saw, but haven't made a full decision as I've been so busy.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let you know if I got through with it and my experience.
Appreciate 1
arRod1981932.50
      11-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #29
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC, 2023 X6 40i

Definitely do your research. In the end, whether you opt for XPEL, Suntek, TEK, 3M, or someone else, go with a top rated, reputable shop. Someone who will stand by their work. Don’t just assume because a shop works on fancy cars that they will do a good job. The installer you pick is more important than the film you choose. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 05:24 PM   #30
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

I've got Gyeon Protect+ PPF on my X5.

This is from the Gyeon website....

Protect+ is a thick and hydrophobic paint protection film that offers maximum resistance against UV, chemical and mechanical damage. It is easy to apply with a low stretch mark risk, and has excellent gloss and self-healing properties.
Appreciate 0