BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Harman Kardon - Misconceptions and things to note - North American (NA) models

05-01-2024, 04:23 PM   #1
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Harman Kardon - Misconceptions and things to note - North American (NA) models

Hello everyone,

I've been seeing a lot of talk in regards to the Harman Kardon Sound System for the U11 X1/X2 and there are some misconceptions that I want to clear up about the system. I'll also provide some receipt's and resources down below that I hope can benefit y'all!

Before we begin, I want to put a few disclaimers

**DISCLAIMERS**
- All of the information will be based in the North American (NA) region for both MY23 and MY24 and so those in different regions may have a different experience.
- All of the information will apply to BOTH the X1 (incl. M35i) and X2 (incl. M35i), but I will be using the X1 - (xDrive28i) as a reference.
- The 2024 BMW 5 series (G60) will be used as a reference in this write up.
- As mentioned all of this applies to MY23 and MY24 models, but I will be referencing the MY24's in this write up.
- For the screenshots of BMW's Build Your Own - please pay attention to the model, which can be found in the upper right corner!

Ok - let's go!

Harman Kardon PREMIUM sound system vs. Harman Kardon SURROUND sound system

A. H/K - PREMIUM Sound System - AVAILABLE on the X1/X2 and STANDARD on the MY24 5 series (incl. i5)
- The X1 has one sound upgrade option, which is the Harman Kardon PREMIUM sound system
- PREMIUM sound is NOT the same as SURROUND sound!!
- Will NOT have an equalizer option
- You will have the option to "ENHANCE" your sound via an "ENHANCE" Sound Profile that can be found in the sound settings
- Does it improve the sound quality? (I guess?? I will say that it is better than the base sound system)

Specifications and confusion:
- BMWUSA's website is INCORRECT about the Harman Kardon sound upgrade - they have it mistitled as "Surround Sound", but on the pricing guides and other places on the same site (This is sad) you will see that the HK option is the correctly titled "Premium Sound"
- There are 12 speakers and the total wattage is 205, which is the same for the 5 series!
- The previous F48 model had the same issue as well!

Below are a few screenshots and receipts

1A. The Enhance Sound Profile

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-01 125032.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  96.0 KB

2A. The specs to the PREMIUM Sound System, which is STANDARD on the 5 series!

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-01 130054.jpg
Size:  234.3 KB

3A. The INCORRECT wording found on BMWUSA's Build Your Own

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-01 130110.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  174.1 KB

B. H/K - SURROUND Sound System
- NOT AVAILABLE on the X1/X2 or the 5's
NOTE: The 5's instead have one sound upgrade available, which is the Bowers & Wilkins System.

- As mentioned Surround Sound is NOT available in the X1,and the only model X1 to have true Surround Sound was the original E84 X1
- This system allows one to increase/decrease the surround intensity via the sound menu
- This system will also include an equalizer and the ability to configure it

Specifications:
16 speakers and total wattage is 600 and this was what the previous generation 5 series had as an upgrade!

Speaker Lighting

- The speakers do illuminate at night, but the only part that lights up is the "Harman Kardon" badge/Logo....
Q: is it nice/cool? A: Sure!

Q: Is it as nice as the lighting seen in the Bowers and Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System? A: HELL NAH

If you want the color of the speakers to match the color of the Ambient Lighting:

- All Apps --> Interior Lighting --> Disable the Speaker lighting
NOTE: The Speaker light option, when enabled, will result in the speakers illuminating only in white - disabling it will result in the color matching that of the ambient lighting! If you want to turn the speaker lights off, I believe the only way to do this is to have the sound muted!

Down below is a link to a BMW Driver/Car Reviewer who did an extensive review of the 2023 X1 with the Harman Kardon system!
NOTE: He/She/They appears to be a sound reviewer (or maybe an audio engineer?) and there are other videos on their YouTube page that features him/her/them reviewing other Harman Kardon Sound Systems for BMW - This is handy if folks want to see what the Surround Sound system is like!

Tips to improve sound quality (regardless of which sound system you use)
1. Increase the "Speed Volume" - IDK why but I feel it makes the sound a little better!
2. Music editing (i.e., adding a 3D or a reverb effect) can also enhance your music quality and is something I use in my 2021 BMW 330i with Harman Kardon Surround Sound
3. iPhone users (and possibly Android users) - your phone also as an Equalizer (EQ) of its own and there you can find different sound profiles that can enhance/change the sound output from your phone
- I notice the change while listening to music with my headphones, but I am not sure if it will effect the audio output in Bluetooth/carplay mode! Worth a shot!?

Additional References

Pricing Guides

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-01 005211.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  147.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-01 005258.jpg
Size:  189.8 KB

The Surround Sound System specifications that is found in the X3

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-01 141823.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  154.8 KB

My final thoughts on the X1, being that my previous vehicles were the 2015 E84 X1 (named: "Elliot") and the 2018 F48 X1 (named: "Brennan")

I love everything about the X1 except for that HORRIBLE iDrive system, not only because of how it is, but I don't like how there is no controller and everything must be done via touchscreen. I find myself taking my eyes off the road more and more to fool around with that thing and that is a potential hazard if you ask me. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE is going to play games on that thing and I imagine folks running out of patience and just taping their phone over the screen and calling it a day!

Anyways, I'll always have a soft spot for the X1 and so I hope the information provided above can benefit y'all!

Summary - The X1/X2 have two options for sound systems:
1. The Standard Hi - Fi system
2. Harman Kardon PREMIUM Sound System - 12 speakers and 205 wattage

The "Surround Sound" option featured on BMW's Build Your Own is INCORRECT and is MISLEADING - The surround sound features an equalizer and the ability to increase/decrease the surround intensity; both of which are absent in the X1/X2

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, and/or concerns - my main intention with this thread was to clear up some misconceptions and confusion that I've been noticing with the X1 and the HK system!

Y'all stay safe out there my BMW Fam-Bam!

Cameron
Appreciate 5
      05-01-2024, 05:11 PM   #2
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
Thanks for the extensive information.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

I have the Harman Kardon package and personally (and I know this is subjective) I leave the 'enhanced sound' option unticked - I think it muddies the sound field and makes the sound too bright.

I have the bass +2 and the treble neutral. I have also set the left-right fader 2 notches to the passenger side, as I find this gives me as the driver a better stereo sound stage. I don't care what my passengers think!

Overall, I am pleased with the HK package. Whilst the bass is not outstanding it is more than adequate (at least for my listening preferences and 'age'). Mids and trebles are very clear. I have eclectic tastes in music, everything from Hard rock to classical and everything in between, and the HK copes with all genres very well.

I've seen comments elsewhere on this forum and others that folk think the 205watts is inadequate; well, all I can say is dial the volume up to 8 or 9 and it is more than loud enough (and still distortion-free). Maybe not loud enough for some whippersnapper driving though their 'hood, wanting to 'impress' folk with a loud sound system, but it more than loud enough for me.

Last edited by Duncs1961; 05-03-2024 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2024, 10:39 AM   #4
cOBRaX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3 320e (2023) + X1 20i (2024)

all HK are fake for nobrain ppl, if you open those HK grills, you will find speakers from Poland, 5 EUR each
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #5
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
I have the Harman Kardon package and personally (and I know this is subjective) I leave the 'enhanced sound' option unticked - I think it muddies the sound field and makes the sound too bright.

I have the bass +2 and the treble neutral. I have also set the left-right fader 2 notches to the passenger side, as I find this gives me as the driver a better stereo sound stage. I don't care what my passengers think!

Overall, I am pleased with the HK package. Whilst the bass is not outstanding it is more than adequate (at least for my listening preferences and 'age'). Mids and trebles are very clear. I have eclectic tastes in music, everything from Hard rock to classical and everything in between, and the HK copes with all genres very well.

I've seen comments elsewhere on this forum and others that folk think the 205watts is inadequate; well, all I can say is dial the volume up to 8 or 9 and it is more than loud enough (and still distortion-free). Maybe not loud enough for some whipper snapper driving though their 'hood, wanting to 'impress' folk with a loud sound system, but it more than loud enough for me.
You know what? You make me want to try listening to the system with the enhance profile disabled. I'm not sure why, but I keep hearing X1/X2 owners with H/K preferring to have the "Enhanced Sound" disabled.....

Now don't get me wrong, I'll take Harman Kardon all day, every day!

I do, however, have heard a lot of disappointments and complaints coming from MY24 5 series drivers/owners - remember the H/K system is an upgrade for the X1, but is standard on the 5's. The H/K in a MY23 5 series is a night and day difference than what is had in the MY24 5 series

Anyways, I just wanted folks to be aware that BMW inaccurately has the H/K option listed as Surround Sound, but it is "Premium Sound" everywhere else (incl. Pricing guides and order guides).....

Regardless, next time I get a chance, I'll leave the Enhanced Sound disabled and will report back!

Cameron (2021 BMW 330i)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:58 PM   #6
Joaste
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive30e

I prefer the sound with it enabled, but this is very subjective of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 03:09 PM   #7
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaste View Post
I prefer the sound with it enabled, but this is very subjective of course.
Yeah I’ve tried both and prefer it on same for the X3.
Appreciate 0