BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Anything I should know/do re: X1 M35i?

04-02-2024, 09:26 PM   #1
DarkHelmet
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 M35i

Question Anything I should know/do re: X1 M35i?

Hey All -

So I'm likely going to be getting my first BMW in the next week or two. I've opted to go with the X1 M35i, and am very excited about it. I'm coming from a Ford Escape Titanium, but imagine the X1 is going to be a lot more luxurious and fun to drive!

The model I'm getting is going to have the Premium Package, Shadowline Package, Perforated Veganza seats, Remote Start, and Heated Front Seats and Steering Wheel. I can't wait to try out the heads-up display, augmented reality navigation, and the digital key card (both physical and on my phone).

I figured I'd ask what everyone thought of the above equipped model, and just in general whether there is anything I should be doing or aware of as a new BMW owner (of this new X1).

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I know the premium package comes with the Anti-Theft Recorder, Drive Recorder, and Interior Camera, and am definitely looking forward to taking advantage of them. But I'm also thinking of getting a 3rd party full dash cam system (both to mount on the windshield and have mounted in the back of the car). I can get this one (https://thinkwarestore.com/product/f...cam-bundle-us/) for no cost, and would just need to then have it professionally installed I guess. Not sure if the BMW dealership / service center can do the install - any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

P.P.S. Oh, and one last question - what does everyone do as far as sunglasses holder in their X1's? The Ford Escape I had previously had a sunglasses compartment, but the X1 doesn't - so just curious if anyone has come up with any innovative solution or found a product that works well to protect/hold sunglasses for easy access. Thx!

Last edited by DarkHelmet; 04-02-2024 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 03:06 AM   #2
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

- Suspension will be firmer than you think (if you haven't test driven it before)
- DCT gearbox lag gets some getting used to and decide if you want to fight auto stop start or leave it as is and save the planet.
- Glasses if you have the HUD best to make sure they aren't polarised and they can go in or under the centre console (which is mostly pointless and a pain).
- ID9 still seems to have a LOT of bugs in it so be prepared to cope with some of those until BMW has a fix in place for them.
- Drive recorder is a bit meh, don't record all the time to anything only really if there is an accident and if its only a minor bump then you need to have a separate dash cam as it won't have recorded anything, so definitely get a separate one fitted.
- The heated seats and steering wheel has a mind of its own. It will trigger automatically depending on prior settings, even at times turning on for a passenger that isn't there, again a bug that will likely get sorted.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 06:14 AM   #3
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
The thinkware dash cam you have quoted up above is a decent dash cam, I have one in my other car. There's a thread here a ways back on how to hard wire a dash cam, definitely recommended along with a backup battery so you can enable parking mode. There's also something called FitCamX, which integrates a bit better into the car since the front camera replaces the mirror housing cover and is pretty simple to install. I got this one, and it took me about 30 minutes for the front cam and about 45 for the rear, going slow. There are a few on this forum who had some minor issues with it turning on by itself when the car was parked, but I believe the company has sorted this issue with a different cable.

The BMW factory interior camera seems to work well in cases of unauthorized entry into the car, and will notify your phone along with a photo.

As Monty said above, the HUD will dim/disappear when used with polarized sunglasses, I myself am using RayBan non polarized Wayfarers (prescription), or Oakley Frogskins (when I'm wearing contacts). On my older BMW, there was an optional part you could buy to replace the interior grab handle above the door with a sunglass holder, but I haven't seen anything like this yet for the X1. I just keep mine in the center console area below the armrest as that's about the only thing that can fit in there without getting stuck.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 07:41 AM   #4
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
If this is your first BMW do a lot of research on what is standard and what require options. don't assume stuff you think is on all cars will be on the BMW. I learned that the hard way on my first BMW coming from Acuras, Saabs, and Volvo.

I really enjoy driving my 2019 X2 M35. almost 5 years in and still a blast to drive.

Enjoy the new ride. BTW in my past we had an Escape, the BMW is a lot more fun to drive and handles a lot better based on my highly uneducated butt

stay safe
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 10:46 AM   #5
DarkHelmet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
- Suspension will be firmer than you think (if you haven't test driven it before)
- DCT gearbox lag gets some getting used to and decide if you want to fight auto stop start or leave it as is and save the planet.
- Glasses if you have the HUD best to make sure they aren't polarised and they can go in or under the centre console (which is mostly pointless and a pain).
- ID9 still seems to have a LOT of bugs in it so be prepared to cope with some of those until BMW has a fix in place for them.
- Drive recorder is a bit meh, don't record all the time to anything only really if there is an accident and if its only a minor bump then you need to have a separate dash cam as it won't have recorded anything, so definitely get a separate one fitted.
- The heated seats and steering wheel has a mind of its own. It will trigger automatically depending on prior settings, even at times turning on for a passenger that isn't there, again a bug that will likely get sorted.
Good info! Thank you! Definitely seems like there are a few bugs, but hopefully BMW will sort them out, and none of them seem like deal breakers. I did test drive the X1 M35i model local to me already (it isn't the model I'm planning to purchase but likely drove similar) and was pretty happy with it. I will obviously do another test drive of the one I want to buy (further away - I'm in NJ and it is in NY) and definitely take the info you provided under consideration when doing so. Thanks again!
Appreciate 2
MontyB11421.00
      04-03-2024, 10:48 AM   #6
DarkHelmet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
The thinkware dash cam you have quoted up above is a decent dash cam, I have one in my other car. There's a thread here a ways back on how to hard wire a dash cam, definitely recommended along with a backup battery so you can enable parking mode. There's also something called FitCamX, which integrates a bit better into the car since the front camera replaces the mirror housing cover and is pretty simple to install. I got this one, and it took me about 30 minutes for the front cam and about 45 for the rear, going slow. There are a few on this forum who had some minor issues with it turning on by itself when the car was parked, but I believe the company has sorted this issue with a different cable.

The BMW factory interior camera seems to work well in cases of unauthorized entry into the car, and will notify your phone along with a photo.

As Monty said above, the HUD will dim/disappear when used with polarized sunglasses, I myself am using RayBan non polarized Wayfarers (prescription), or Oakley Frogskins (when I'm wearing contacts). On my older BMW, there was an optional part you could buy to replace the interior grab handle above the door with a sunglass holder, but I haven't seen anything like this yet for the X1. I just keep mine in the center console area below the armrest as that's about the only thing that can fit in there without getting stuck.
I just looked at the FitCamX and the fact that it can go right into the existing housing seems like a big advantage! Maybe I'll go with that instead of the ThinkWare. Thanks for that piece of advice!

I did notice the polarized HUD issue when I was test driving the car the other week, so I guess I'll have to shop around for non-polarized sunglasses. Thank you for the recommendations on some of them!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:51 AM   #7
DarkHelmet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
If this is your first BMW do a lot of research on what is standard and what require options. don't assume stuff you think is on all cars will be on the BMW. I learned that the hard way on my first BMW coming from Acuras, Saabs, and Volvo.

I really enjoy driving my 2019 X2 M35. almost 5 years in and still a blast to drive.

Enjoy the new ride. BTW in my past we had an Escape, the BMW is a lot more fun to drive and handles a lot better based on my highly uneducated butt

stay safe
Good advice! I think I've gotten a pretty good handle on what I want and what I'll get with the vehicle I'm looking at. But I'm going to double and triple check just to be sure.

And I'm a previous Saab person also - I miss those cars! I had a Saab as my first car ever (and my second) - they were good vehicles

I'm excited now to experience the better driving in the BMW. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 11:12 AM   #8
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHelmet View Post
Good advice! I think I've gotten a pretty good handle on what I want and what I'll get with the vehicle I'm looking at. But I'm going to double and triple check just to be sure.

And I'm a previous Saab person also - I miss those cars! I had a Saab as my first car ever (and my second) - they were good vehicles

I'm excited now to experience the better driving in the BMW. Thanks!

Had 4 Saabs. My first 900S saved my wife and young kids when she got hit making a left runt (yes her fault) right front corner of car it was 18 months old and totaled before they got to engine damage, she had a bruise on her shin, 3 year old had a scratch on her tummy from her booster (it was the 80s) and the infant slept through the whole thing in her car seat in the front seat. So yes I miss Saabs and their quirkiness.

Really love my X2 so enjoy the new car
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 11:29 AM   #9
DarkHelmet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
Had 4 Saabs. My first 900S saved my wife and young kids when she got hit making a left runt (yes her fault) right front corner of car it was 18 months old and totaled before they got to engine damage, she had a bruise on her shin, 3 year old had a scratch on her tummy from her booster (it was the 80s) and the infant slept through the whole thing in her car seat in the front seat. So yes I miss Saabs and their quirkiness.

Really love my X2 so enjoy the new car
Actually something very similar happened to me. My first Saab (and first car) was the 900S also, and after taking it on a road trip all around the country (where it held up beautifully), someone blew through a red and slammed into me - I wound up off the road with the whole side of the car heavily damaged and the airbags deployed. And yet I walked away without a scratch. The car was totaled, but thankfully I was not. Definitely wish those cars were still around!

And glad to hear you are enjoying the X2 - am very much looking forward to getting my new SUV soon and enjoying it as well!
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 06:49 PM   #10
first_time_bmw
Registered
Rep

Congrats on deciding on the X1 M35i! Are you ordering or trying to get one off a lot? Broker or on your own?

I've decided on this car too and doing research on who's got a car close to my ideal spec but I'm debating just placing a custom order. I hate the idea of waiting awhile but also I plan to buy it and keep this for a while as long as she keeps on running so why not get exactly what I want, right?

The only thing I hate about this car is the console storage or lack of storage. It's like why did they just put a hole there? So yeah I'm trying to think of ways to integrate some custom DIY solutions. Perhaps underneath the arm rest you can semi-permanently add some kind of sunglass holder using some 3m double sided tape or hooks.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 06:54 PM   #11
DarkHelmet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by first_time_bmw View Post
Congrats on deciding on the X1 M35i! Are you ordering or trying to get one off a lot? Broker or on your own?

I've decided on this car too and doing research on who's got a car close to my ideal spec but I'm debating just placing a custom order. I hate the idea of waiting awhile but also I plan to buy it and keep this for a while as long as she keeps on running so why not get exactly what I want, right?

The only thing I hate about this car is the console storage or lack of storage. It's like why did they just put a hole there? So yeah I'm trying to think of ways to integrate some custom DIY solutions. Perhaps underneath the arm rest you can semi-permanently add some kind of sunglass holder using some 3m double sided tape or hooks.
I found a dealership that's not too far away (although in NY and I'm in NJ) and that has basically what I want, so going for that one...although I definitely get you about ordering and getting exactly what you want! I'm also planning to keep it for a while (barring any unforeseen circumstances), so fingers crossed that these cars last a long time, haha.

And I agree that the console storage choices they made are very odd and not that great. Your idea with the sunglasses holder underneath the armrest is something I am definitely going to explore. If you end up doing anything DIY to get better storage, or find anything, definitely post about - I (and I'm sure others) would be very interested.

Good luck with getting yours!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:25 AM   #12
Tazz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50d (2019), BMW X1 20i

i put the case for my raybans behind the screen (dash of the car) in the little slot between the screen and the dash, and open and close the case or just chuck the case in the passenger box thing
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2024, 07:17 AM   #13
first_time_bmw
Registered
Rep

Found something for the glasses: Visor sunglasses holder clip
Appreciate 2