BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Disable seat belts alarm for rear passengers?

05-03-2023, 08:09 AM   #1
tareknet89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Phev

Disable seat belts alarm for rear passengers?

Hi all,

The first question that came to my mind when I tested drive the X1 in the UK was if I can disable the alarm that goes on when the rear passengers don't fasten their seatbelts?

I asked the salesman at that time and the answer was negative. I checked online and found some apps that can help configure the code but this is not recommended as they may cause some other glitches.

Any thoughts on that?

Rear passenger seatbelts aren't required in the UK and personally don't find them necessary in town trips when the speed is at a minimum.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:16 AM   #2
jam_80s
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

As I understand it rear seat belts are required to be used in the UK
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:18 AM   #3
jam_80s
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

https://www.gov.uk/seat-belts-law
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:21 AM   #4
tareknet89
Enlisted Member
Rep

oops, sorry guys this is my first car in the UK and wasn't aware.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:21 AM   #5
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tareknet89 View Post
personally don't find them necessary in town trips when the speed is at a minimum.
Physics would like to have a word with your "personal" beliefs.....

I wonder if coding ever becomes available, if this will be on the list.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:27 AM   #6
Zee
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i GC + U11 X1 M35i

You can stop the warning by going into 'Seat Comfort' then selecting seat belt warning then which rear seat you want the warning to stop for.

You have to do this every time you switch the car off as it doesn't remember the selection.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 08:44 AM   #7
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
You can stop the warning by going into 'Seat Comfort' then selecting seat belt warning then which rear seat you want the warning to stop for.

You have to do this every time you switch the car off as it doesn't remember the selection.
Why would you want to do this anyway? Not only a legal requirement, but your rear seat passengers should be belting up for everyones, otherwise in an accident, not only will they be hurt themsleves, but also become potential projectiles hitting front pasengers too
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 09:04 AM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
Why would you want to do this anyway? Not only a legal requirement, but your rear seat passengers should be belting up for everyones, otherwise in an accident, not only will they be hurt themsleves, but also become potential projectiles hitting front pasengers too
Being a projectile while only going 25mph? Really now, how much injury could a person suffer by being jolted into the front windscreen ONLY doing 25? I'm sure it'll all be fine.....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 09:18 AM   #9
Zee
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i GC + U11 X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
Merely answering the question from the post author.

But to answer your question, even when you rest something with abit of weight (i.e. a backpack or when your loading stuff from moving out etc) it sets off the seat belt warning
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 10:19 AM   #10
tareknet89
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Zee for your answer.

As long as it’s a legal requirement I won’t be using it for passengers. I come from countries where this is not a requirement. In the UK, taxies never tell me to wear it so I thought it’s not required, without actually researching it properly. Cheers for whoever helped.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 01:20 PM   #11
jejupods
Private
Rep
Drives: MY23 X3 M40i

You can turn the chime off by putting on your seatbelt. Idiot.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 01:38 PM   #12
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Merely answering the question from the post author.

But to answer your question, even when you rest something with abit of weight (i.e. a backpack or when your loading stuff from moving out etc) it sets off the seat belt warning
When I carry stuff that would be heavy enough to trigger the 'bum on seat' detector, I just put the seat belt hasp into the buckle - problem solved.
Appreciate 1
tex26702424.50
      05-03-2023, 04:27 PM   #13
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Thanks Zee for your answer.

As long as it’s a legal requirement I won’t be using it for passengers. I come from countries where this is not a requirement. In the UK, taxies never tell me to wear it so I thought it’s not required, without actually researching it properly. Cheers for whoever helped.
The UK even ran adverts with people in the back of the car when the law came in showing the graphic view of someone coming from the back seat and exiting through the window into the other car in a head on crash. If I remember correctly the stat was that even at 30mph a person accelerate in an accident to hit the drive in front (and often killing them) with the weight of an elephant.

In a car in the UK or even a taxi and you should belt up by law.
Appreciate 1
tex26702424.50
      05-04-2023, 01:48 AM   #14
tareknet89
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejupods View Post
You can turn the chime off by putting on your seatbelt. Idiot.
A little of respect can be too much for some people, I understand that.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 03:15 AM   #15
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Short answer - Yes you can disable.
Should you - personal choice
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 03:30 AM   #16
tareknet89
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you again to whoever is trying to share knowledge respectfully.

I am amazed at how some salespeople lack helpful information about the products they are selling. Interestingly, during my conversation with the salesman, he even agreed on it not being a legal requirement , which apparently is wrong!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 08:14 AM   #17
jejupods
Private
Rep
Drives: MY23 X3 M40i

Quote:
A little of respect can be too much for some people, I understand that.
I'm sorry but anyone foolish enough to not buckle up, or in my opinion negligent enough to -as the driver- not have their passengers buckle up doesn't deserve much respect.

All you need to do is google "passenger deaths no seatbelt" and the first page is full of academic studies and statistics from the past 30 years on how much safer it is to wear a seatbelt -not that you should need someone to tell you this. You may be the best driver in the world (X doubt) when you're "driving around town at low speed" lol, but you have zero control over other drivers. Further, even if they don't kill your passengers when they slam into you, slow speed fender benders can still cause more significant injuries when not wearing a seat belt...

From the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 14) as the driver you're responsible for all passengers under 14 to be strapped in. Over 14 and it is the passengers responsibility, HOWEVER if the driver knowingly allows a passenger to travel without wearing a seatbelt, they can be fined and receive penalty points on their driving license. In more serious cases, if a passenger is injured or killed due to not wearing a seatbelt, the driver may face charges of causing death or serious injury by dangerous driving or careless driving, depending on the circumstances of the incident.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 08:59 AM   #18
tareknet89
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejupods View Post
I'm sorry but anyone foolish enough to not buckle up, or in my opinion negligent enough to -as the driver- not have their passengers buckle up doesn't deserve much respect.

All you need to do is google "passenger deaths no seatbelt" and the first page is full of academic studies and statistics from the past 30 years on how much safer it is to wear a seatbelt -not that you should need someone to tell you this. You may be the best driver in the world (X doubt) when you're "driving around town at low speed" lol, but you have zero control over other drivers. Further, even if they don't kill your passengers when they slam into you, slow speed fender benders can still cause more significant injuries when not wearing a seat belt...

From the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 14) as the driver you're responsible for all passengers under 14 to be strapped in. Over 14 and it is the passengers responsibility, HOWEVER if the driver knowingly allows a passenger to travel without wearing a seatbelt, they can be fined and receive penalty points on their driving license. In more serious cases, if a passenger is injured or killed due to not wearing a seatbelt, the driver may face charges of causing death or serious injury by dangerous driving or careless driving, depending on the circumstances of the incident.
Look at the 2nd part of your comment and how helpful it’s compared to the other parts/comments. You don’t think another human kind deserves respect? Well that’s your choice, I cannot force you to accept other life experiences and different laws that vary between countries. Lucky enough there were others here who could help positively.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 07:34 PM   #19
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
The UK even ran adverts with people in the back of the car when the law came in showing the graphic view of someone coming from the back seat and exiting through the window into the other car in a head on crash. If I remember correctly the stat was that even at 30mph a person accelerate in an accident to hit the drive in front (and often killing them) with the weight of an elephant.

In a car in the UK or even a taxi and you should belt up by law.
I had a family friend who was wise and old. When I was a young kid, he always made me put on my seatbelt when I was in the rear seat. Yes, he was West German.(like I said, it was a long time ago) I listened to him but it wasn't until years later that I really appreciated how valuable his advice was.

By the way, speaking of rear seats. I just sat in the rear seat for the very first time today. Not sure why, but the right side cushion always felt taller and slightly tilted towards the center of the car. The left side was perfectly flat with no tilt.

I tried it back and for and confirmed that I wasn't imaging it. However, it's not clear to me why this is so.

I even took out a tape measure. The distance from the top of the seat cushion to the roof or the seat in front or the door are identical on both sides of the rear seat.

Perhaps something inside the cushion? Nobody else has sat in the rear seat since I took delivery last week with 8 miles on the odometer. Has anyone else noticed something this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 07:16 PM   #20
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List

https://twitter.com/viciousvideos/st...SMzKsIpUjN1I_A
Appreciate 0