BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Potential X1 30e purchase - Questions

03-23-2024, 11:46 AM   #1
Sebbak
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta ST-3

Potential X1 30e purchase - Questions

Hi all,

New to the forum, and BMW's in general. Long story short; I have the ability to get an X1 30e MSport through work to replace my current car (Fiesta ST-3) and out of all the options available for a hybrid, I like the X1 the most. I was looking at 1 series BMW's, but looking to get a dog in the future and don't want it crammed up in the back, plus I'd love something I can just sling by mountain bike in without taking it half to pieces!!

Anyway, I have a few questions that I can't find answers to after sneaking about on the forum for a while.

Does anybody have the M-Sport seats (the single construction ones) at all? I've seen about 2 pictures of them from the M135i info, but never in anyone's actual car. Is that because people don't like them/don't think they're worth it etc? Options seem to suggest they can be electronically adjusted, but just making sure that is actually the case?

Secondly, and probably something that no-one can really answer - I'm moving from a '14 plate Fiesta ST-3, which while being a v.good little hatchback, almost every review noted the harshness of the ride/crashiness due to stiff suspension and rubber band tyres. Question is, with MSport suspension and the 19" (or even 20") tyres, are we talking Fiesta levels of stiff or just stiff for an SUV type vehicle?

To be honest, the stiffness in the Fiesta doesn't bother me at all, unless I hit a whopper of a pothole, but my partner feels sick in it as a passenger as a result... Might also be somewhat to do with my driving sometimes but I wanted to check just how 'stiff' the overall ride would be in comparison. Like I say, I doubt anyone has made similar shift necessarily, but might be able to offer up a similar comparison for reference?

Generally, I'm looking at pretty much every option besides the towbar, but are there any options that are 100% worth it or not worth it in your opinions? I get that manufacturers kinda bundle some things in with other stuff that means you need the whole package for just 1 or 2 things in there, but from current owners, anything you specced that you never use or always use for example?

Anyway, appreciate any info!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:54 AM   #2
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

I think the stiff ride is very subjective.

I don't think it's a stiff ride at all, but we are used to sports cars.
Recently I had an M2 and Mrs a Mini JCW - and the X1 30e feels like a Bentley compared to those.
We have got the 20" alloys and I personally find the chassis very good. Maybe it's people comparing to other SUV's who find it harsh?

I find the standard seats really good. Would not want/need any additional support with the electric adjustable seats.

I would defo spec memory seats if more than one person drives it.
We didn't get full parking surround view, but wish we had it.

Great car....sounds ideal for you. Get it

Last edited by Fish Fingers; 03-24-2024 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sebbak0.00
      03-24-2024, 08:45 AM   #3
Sebbak
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Fingers View Post
I think the stiff ride is very subjective.

I don't think it's a stiff ride at all, but we are used to sports cars.
Recently I had an M2 and Mrs a Mini JCW - and the X1 30e feels like a Bentley compared to those.
We have got the 20" alloys and I personally find the chassis very good. Maybe it's people comparing to other SUV's who find it harsh?

I find the standard seats really good. Would not want/need any additional support with the electric adjustable seats.

I would defo spec memory seats if more than one person drives it.
We didn't get full parking surround view, but wish we had it.

Great car....sounds ideal for you. Get it
Cheers for the info - sounds like a similar move from the JCW Mini regarding the suspension change, so seems like it's probably not a major issue moving from something that's already stiffly sprung. Good to know! I'm trying to arrange a test drive or two with different wheels to try and gauge it a bit better before deciding.

I think full parking is on the cards as my partner has only ever driven Fiesta's so something a bit bigger is a little daunting, but with all the cameras and even self parking, should make life much easier. She rarely drives anyway, so it's 95% me using it really. Memory seats are definitely on the list!

I appreciate they're apples and oranges to a degree, but how did you find the BMW performance compared to the JCW Mini? Obviously the Mini has the agility over the X1, but in terms of acceleration, they're similar; I assume the BMW has a fatter wedge of torque instantly due to the electric motor at the rear?

Sorry, another hyper specific question lol
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:13 AM   #4
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbak View Post
Cheers for the info - sounds like a similar move from the JCW Mini regarding the suspension change, so seems like it's probably not a major issue moving from something that's already stiffly sprung. Good to know! I'm trying to arrange a test drive or two with different wheels to try and gauge it a bit better before deciding.

I think full parking is on the cards as my partner has only ever driven Fiesta's so something a bit bigger is a little daunting, but with all the cameras and even self parking, should make life much easier. She rarely drives anyway, so it's 95% me using it really. Memory seats are definitely on the list!

I appreciate they're apples and oranges to a degree, but how did you find the BMW performance compared to the JCW Mini? Obviously the Mini has the agility over the X1, but in terms of acceleration, they're similar; I assume the BMW has a fatter wedge of torque instantly due to the electric motor at the rear?

Sorry, another hyper specific question lol
Wife actually went JCW->BMW X2->BMW X1.
I went BMW M2->Taycan (but want to back to BMW next car).

Instant torque makes the X1 feel significantly faster than the JCW - especially overtaking etc. It feels as fast as my old M2 and nearly as fast as the Taycan.
Use 80-120kmh, rather than 0-100 kmh for real world speed comparison.
Would be interesting to know comparison with Fiesta?

Then add on AWD grip when it's wet.

The handling also belies it's size. It's great to drive, but really refined.
And it's nice driving something a bit higher up, especially on motorways, as forward visibility is better (less stressful).

And if you are coming from a Fiesta St, don't worry about the ride.
Its a far larger and heavier car, so the ride is just fine in MSport guise. In fact, I bet you will find the other trim levels not sporting enough.

I find it an astonishing vehicle.
And as long as hybrid suits your lifestyle and you have home charging - it's all things to all men.

Last edited by Fish Fingers; 03-24-2024 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sebbak0.00
      03-25-2024, 05:53 AM   #5
DeanMoriarty
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 30e

As Fish fingers says, stiff ride is quite subjective. I've often read on forums and watching some reviews that some people find the suspension too firm on the X1.

For my part, even with 20-inch rims, I find it comfortable. I also have an Alfa Mito which is very stiff, and next to it the X1 seems very comfortable. Also more comfortable than the different 3 series touring that my father had.

But other people will find the ride too stiff, so if you can do a test drive it's better.

In any case, I've had the X1 30e since November and so far I'm delighted with it, it's an excellent car. Indeed, acceleration is excellent, and even in 100% electric mode, the car accelerates sufficiently for everyday needs.
Appreciate 1
Sebbak0.00
      03-25-2024, 02:50 PM   #6
Puffinrock
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 30e MSport

I have just got the car changing from a larger suv (not BMW) and the 30e is fantastic. Boot size is fine for dogs unless you get a Great Dane, not a wide as a SUV internally but straight sides so easy to fit bulky things in. I ordered Msport with most of the extras and was well worth the extra cost, suspension is nothing like the old Msports and the seats are very good.
Appreciate 1
Sebbak0.00
      03-25-2024, 02:56 PM   #7
Sebbak
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanMoriarty View Post
As Fish fingers says, stiff ride is quite subjective. I've often read on forums and watching some reviews that some people find the suspension too firm on the X1.

For my part, even with 20-inch rims, I find it comfortable. I also have an Alfa Mito which is very stiff, and next to it the X1 seems very comfortable. Also more comfortable than the different 3 series touring that my father had.

But other people will find the ride too stiff, so if you can do a test drive it's better.

In any case, I've had the X1 30e since November and so far I'm delighted with it, it's an excellent car. Indeed, acceleration is excellent, and even in 100% electric mode, the car accelerates sufficiently for everyday needs.
That's great to hear, thanks! I'm trying to source a local test drive where possible, but looks like the hybrids might be a bit thin on the ground in the UK at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 02:58 PM   #8
Sebbak
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffinrock View Post
I have just got the car changing from a larger suv (not BMW) and the 30e is fantastic. Boot size is fine for dogs unless you get a Great Dane, not a wide as a SUV internally but straight sides so easy to fit bulky things in. I ordered Msport with most of the extras and was well worth the extra cost, suspension is nothing like the old Msports and the seats are very good.
Good to hear. As much as I'd love a massive dog we're looking more greyhound size, so pretty big-ish, but not an absolute unit, but I'd feel bad squashing it into the back of my hatchback
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:02 PM   #9
Puffinrock
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 30e MSport

Greyhound would be ok - but only one 😉
Appreciate 0