BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) X1 Headlights, a downgrade from 3 Series?

03-27-2024, 09:44 AM   #1
SaphBlkX1
Rep
Drives: X1 2024 M35i

X1 Headlights, a downgrade from 3 Series?

First time using my new X1 M35i in the dark last night and the headlights don't seem to be on a par with my previous 2020 G20 3 Series?

That car had laserlights which are epic, and adaptive headlights with high beam assist.

My X1 doesn't have the throw of the 3 series, ok they aren't laser lights so perhaps that's to be expected.

The real issue is that the high beam assist doesn't seem to do anything even though the icon is lit up on the dashboard. At no point did the main beam activate during my 50 mile drive even though it should have at several opportunities. Manually using main beam over-rides this but when returning to normal beam, the assist function is deactivated and can only be turned on again through the touchscreen menu which seems so counter intuitive compared to a 4 year old model.

The second part is that the adaptive headlights don't seem to do anything. My 3 series had the lights dancing all over the road and kept high beam on for a significant amount of time, tracking the lights away from oncoming traffic and cars in front as it should do. What is going on?
Appreciate 1
robe03373.00
      03-27-2024, 11:47 AM   #2
Kosymodo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX1 xDrive30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphBlkX1 View Post
Manually using main beam over-rides this but when returning to normal beam, the assist function is deactivated and can only be turned on again through the touchscreen menu
This isn't the case in my iX1 (ID8), but yours might be different if ID9? I can override main beam assist, and when returning it to low beam the assist function resumes

Quote:
The second part is that the adaptive headlights don't seem to do anything
Again, not the case in mine. I find the adaptive headlights to work very well. Definitely noticeable when the 'blocks' of light engage/disengage

This video shows exactly how mine behave -

Last edited by Kosymodo; 03-27-2024 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Added YouTube video
Appreciate 1
timesone184.50
      03-27-2024, 05:39 PM   #3
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Certainly see the adaptive lights working and main beam being great. It’s faster reacting than the system on the 3 series X3 from my experience and more accurate.
Appreciate 1
timesone184.50
      03-27-2024, 05:51 PM   #4
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Mine work fine (much quicker adaptive response than my F87 M2) and I definitely don’t see any downgrade from my 2024 X4 on twisty back roads
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 06:46 PM   #5
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Quote:
First time using my new X1 M35i in the dark last night and the headlights don't seem to be on a par with my previous 2020 G20 3 Series?

That car had laserlights which are epic, and adaptive headlights with high beam assist.

My X1 doesn't have the throw of the 3 series, ok they aren't laser lights so perhaps that's to be expected.

The real issue is that the high beam assist doesn't seem to do anything even though the icon is lit up on the dashboard. At no point did the main beam activate during my 50 mile drive even though it should have at several opportunities. Manually using main beam over-rides this but when returning to normal beam, the assist function is deactivated and can only be turned on again through the touchscreen menu which seems so counter intuitive compared to a 4 year old model.

The second part is that the adaptive headlights don't seem to do anything. My 3 series had the lights dancing all over the road and kept high beam on for a significant amount of time, tracking the lights away from oncoming traffic and cars in front as it should do. What is going on?
Have to agree, had an x3 loaner for a month and when I finally got my car back I noticed the lights don’t throw nearly ss much light or seem as adaptive as the x3.

The loaner didn’t have laser lights but the standard bmw led on those definitely throw more light and illuminate better.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 01:02 PM   #6
HumbleBy
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C300 & BMW iX1

There is a Swedish car magazine who tests and analyses headlights and their performance.
The 1, 3 and X1 series fall into a category of quite poor main beam performance.
It seems to be very "hit and miss" with BMW in general in terms of headlight performance.
We have an iX1 coming soon, and hope at least the low beam is acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 04:51 PM   #7
Fahren German
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i RWD 6MT

The IIHS headlights test rated the X1 as good. Here’s what they said:

Quote:
Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was good in all 4 tests.

The low beams never exceeded glare limits.

High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was fair in all 4 tests.

High-beam assist compensates for some limitations of this vehicle's low beams on the straightaway, on both left curves and on both right curves.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 03:59 AM   #8
Tazz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50d (2019), BMW X1 20i

My x1 headlights are better than our x7 with laser lights in terms of adaptive performance, but the laserlights are much brighter, and since the laser lights require the lights to physcially move, there are a lot more drivers that flash our x7 rather than the x1. the only problem is that both systems blind truckies if their lights cant be seen (since they sight higher than gaurd-rails or on hills). I currently found no idadequacies with the bmw lights, but i wonder why dont they move from left on left turns and right on right turns cause it concentrates all the light right infront of you
Appreciate 0