BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Transmission Issue

03-10-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Transmission Issue

Wondering if anyone's had this issue as well.

Today my transmission partially(?) shit itself haha.
I seem to have on and off issues where we'll be driving on the freeway and the car would seem to downshift and felt like it would get "stuck" in between gears and rev really high, but immediately correct itself and have no issues after. Today something similar happened but I immediately got an error on my dash that told me to take it to the service center and that my reverse gear didn't work. I pulled over and tried to reverse and it felt like it was sitting in neutral and just revving/not moving. I restarted my car and same thing. I took it to the dealer and they took it in, but when they started it up reverse worked fine. They still have it to diagnose. I just find it alarming and odd that this would happen. I took delivery of the vehicle in December and it only has about 2700 miles on it. I'm curious if anyone's had any issues similar or if this has happened to anyone else! (And/or using this as a cautionary tale)
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 01:30 PM   #2
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep

I got my car back a few days after the first post and they said they did a software update and it fixed it. But 5 days ago, it happened again while I was on the freeway. I drove it back to the dealer with the "drive train malfunction" and the "not possible to select gear position R" error. They just called and told me that they're waiting on some transmission fluid to come in to see if it's still giving the error? They said if it is i'll need a transmission replacement. I'm shocked because the car is only 6 months old with 3300 miles! Anyone else have this issue? I'd love any thoughts on this.
Attached Images

Last edited by lildumplinx1; 05-16-2023 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 05:31 PM   #3
jejupods
Private
Rep
Drives: MY23 X3 M40i

Ouch, that really sucks... I don't really have much more to add than that!!

I don't think I've seen anything like this on Bimmerpost or other forums, so hopefully (for the rest of us), this is a one off. Did the dealer give you a loaner while you're waiting? I'd be concerned that if it is a hardware issue it will cause more than normal wear and tear if you keep driving, or worse just completely give out causing an accident.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 05:35 PM   #4
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

that sounds bad. how will someone back out of a parking spot or the garage if "R" isn't available? shift into "N" and have another person push it out?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 10:53 PM   #5
lotus1818
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 Cape Green/Red Black X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
that sounds bad. how will someone back out of a parking spot or the garage if "R" isn't available? shift into "N" and have another person push it out?
BMW thinks this problem is not serious enough and it says: roadside assistance not required ?

I guess if you press SOS for help, they won't any assistance then.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 03:11 AM   #6
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
I had similar erorr 30e but after restart it was gone and since them 2000kms its all running like smooth operator
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 03:16 PM   #7
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1818 View Post
BMW thinks this problem is not serious enough and it says: roadside assistance not required ?

I guess if you press SOS for help, they won't any assistance then.
that's what I was thinking as well. if someone presses the SOS button, I assume that the roadside assistance rep will also have access into the car's status? if it says "roadside assistance not required" on their screen, I guess they won't sent help. If I lie and say, I can't back out of my garage without the reverse gear, the rep will say "sir, I'm looking at the live picture of from you X1 right now, you're in a Hooter's parking lot in the middle of the afternoon, you can drive forward to get out... or do you want me to contact your wife to come and get you?"
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:04 PM   #8
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep

That's what I'm saying! I feel like a transmission error is a pretty big issue. If it doesn't warrant roadside assistance... then what would?

The last time this happened I was almost stuck inside a parking lot because I couldn't reverse out! I decided to not park yet and try to back out but I obviously couldn't so I decided to drive all the way around and out. Thank god!

I was hoping it was an error that would go away after I restarted the car but it's clear it wouldn't. Super bummed by this. Not sure if anyone's experienced anything like this with any other bmw? I'm curious how they handled it
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:16 PM   #9
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildumplinx1 View Post
That's what I'm saying! I feel like a transmission error is a pretty big issue. If it doesn't warrant roadside assistance... then what would?

The last time this happened I was almost stuck inside a parking lot because I couldn't reverse out! I decided to not park yet and try to back out but I obviously couldn't so I decided to drive all the way around and out. Thank god!

I was hoping it was an error that would go away after I restarted the car but it's clear it wouldn't. Super bummed by this. Not sure if anyone's experienced anything like this with any other bmw? I'm curious how they handled it
Only way to take care of it is to have the dealer diagnose and repair. I personally have never experienced this, my X1 is the first car with DCT, and only my second automatic ever.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:20 PM   #10
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:

a long time ago, I had a Honda Prelude. The auto transmission kind of failed while I was parallel parked on a city street. All forward gears went forward, but so did the reverse gear. I couldn't get out, so I asked some dude on the street to help me. I moved forward on my own and he pushed me in reverse(in neutral). After a couple of pushes, I got out of that parking spot. I drove straight to the dealer and a week later, a new transmission control box(whatever those things with steel balls were called) was replaced under warranty. The car was less than a month old at that time, but it basically made me lose confidence in Hondas ever since. (have not bought a Honda in over 30 years, except a Honda generator)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:52 PM   #11
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep

Quote:
a long time ago, I had a Honda Prelude. The auto transmission kind of failed while I was parallel parked on a city street. All forward gears went forward, but so did the reverse gear. I couldn't get out, so I asked some dude on the street to help me. I moved forward on my own and he pushed me in reverse(in neutral). After a couple of pushes, I got out of that parking spot. I drove straight to the dealer and a week later, a new transmission control box(whatever those things with steel balls were called) was replaced under warranty. The car was less than a month old at that time, but it basically made me lose confidence in Hondas ever since. (have not bought a Honda in over 30 years, except a Honda generator)
That sounds like an insane experience! I'm sorry that you had to go through that. These transmission problems are no joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:04 PM   #12
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
That sounds like an insane experience! I'm sorry that you had to go through that. These transmission problems are no joke.
it was a very long time ago. I remember it as a "funny" experience(reverse gear going forward).

back then, cars were simple. I honestly prefer it the old way. I certainly don't enjoy reading a message on the car telling me that reverse gear isn't available!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:00 PM   #13
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Update: they're holding my car because I presume they don't know what's going on. They changed my transmission fluid and have been unable to replicate the error. The foreman doesn't want to release the car back to me and is opting for a transmission replacement
Sounds like your dealer is taking the right steps for your safety and doing so under an abundance of caution. Hopefully they gave you a nice loaner in the meantime!
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 10:10 AM   #14
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Update: they're holding my car because I presume they don't know what's going on. They changed my transmission fluid and have been unable to replicate the error. The foreman doesn't want to release the car back to me and is opting for a transmission replacement
does the foreman or the service manager have the authority to make such determination? pretty sure that BMW USA has the final say on a transmission replacement.

I wonder what the out-of-warranty cost is for a transmission replacement on the X1.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 12:39 PM   #15
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Sounds like your dealer is taking the right steps for your safety and doing so under an abundance of caution. Hopefully they gave you a nice loaner in the meantime!
Oh yea I completely agree! I appreciate the dealer advocating for me and being mindful of my safety!! They've been great. They put me in a brand new car for a loaner and I've put more miles on the car than it came with! Hah
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 12:40 PM   #16
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep

Quote:
does the foreman or the service manager have the authority to make such determination? pretty sure that BMW USA has the final say on a transmission replacement.

I wonder what the out-of-warranty cost is for a transmission replacement on the X1.
No he doesn't have the authority to make that decision but he opened a case with BMW and is pushing for it so they want to hold my car til they hear back.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 12:46 PM   #17
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
No he doesn't have the authority to make that decision but he opened a case with BMW and is pushing for it so they want to hold my car til they hear back.
That's great! Always nice when a dealer's service dept will fight for you. (ok, so they'll make some money, but it'll be paid by BMW, right?)

if you happen to talk to them after the transmission is repaired, can you ask them how much a job like that will cost, once the car is out of warranty? My friend has a Mercedes E-class coupe. Its transmission was replaced last year and the parts/labor was over $7,500. I imagine that a BMW transmission will cost the same, if not more?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 04:34 AM   #18
Bodgeit1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25E MSport on Order

Quote:
That's great! Always nice when a dealer's service dept will fight for you. (ok, so they'll make some money, but it'll be paid by BMW, right?)

if you happen to talk to them after the transmission is repaired, can you ask them how much a job like that will cost, once the car is out of warranty? My friend has a Mercedes E-class coupe. Its transmission was replaced last year and the parts/labor was over $7,500. I imagine that a BMW transmission will cost the same, if not more?
I think the gearbox is two main parts, the actual gearbox with the cogs etc and a mechatronic unit that works the auto piece of it, i had a series 3 MSPORT and the mechatronic unit locked my box up at 40mph, came to an abrupt stop, they took it in and changed the mechatronic unit only, it may be different now with the latest gearboxes but thought it worth a post
I also read that putting the wrong tyres on a Auto BMW can cause gearbox issues, again not sure if it holds any truth.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #19
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep

Thank you all for your input! I'll definitely relay that to the dealer. I did have a question..
they have been trying to re-trigger the error and have been driving my car around like crazy. They've put in over 200 miles on the car. Is that normal? I'm not too happy about it. I've been tracking how much is being driven on my bmw app and they haven't said anything to me about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 07:23 AM   #20
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Thank you all for your input! I'll definitely relay that to the dealer. I did have a question..
they have been trying to re-trigger the error and have been driving my car around like crazy. They've put in over 200 miles on the car. Is that normal? I'm not too happy about it. I've been tracking how much is being driven on my bmw app and they haven't said anything to me about it.
Someone is probably taking your car home to test it. my dealer does this if they need to troubleshoot something intermittent they will just use it as a daily driver lol
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 03:31 PM   #21
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep

Update; they put 240 miles on it and "couldn't duplicate the problem" so after changing the transmission fluid, the car is deemed all good. BMW said no transmission replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 08:59 PM   #22
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

If they have to replace the transmission- ask for the 8 speed zf automatic

Imagine this x1 got the 8 speed instead of the Mini DCT???
Appreciate 0