BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Android Auto not connecting - please help!

07-14-2023, 01:05 PM   #1
Iggi
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

Android Auto not connecting - please help!

Hello Dear Experts,
A week ago, I got a new X1 (model 2023, with ConnectedDrive option) with iDrive8.

I can not connect my Android Google Pixel 6 Pro smartphone with Android 13 to the Android Auto of BMW X1.

The iDrive8 shows the following error when I am trying to connect to X1 Android Auto: "connection failed, check your BT/WiFi and try again"

I tried rebooting iDrive8, rebooting smartphone, removing/reconnecting Bluetooth/Wireless connections (in iDrive8 and in the smartphone), but still can not connect.

The Bluetooth connection seems connected and working OK (I can make phone calls and stream music via car speakers).

The WiFi Direct connection seems connected and working OK, but the connection is established via 2.4 GHz frequency. I suspect this can be part of the problem. I know that my smartphone supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi connections. I was reading that Android Auto needs 5 GHz connection of WiFiDirect, but I am not fully sure about that. If someone has AndroidAuto working - please check the frequency of your WiFi connection - while your phone is connected to Android Auto.

So, I need some help to get it work - please helm me The Experts!
I was also reading about some possible missing "code of BMW" that are maybe missing on some X1 cars. But not sure how to check that.

I asked BMW Connected Drive team to help but they sent me to my local BMW dealership - which says "Android Auto is typically not working with most BMW cars", which I know is not accurate since there are many reports on internet with people using Android Auto with BMW X1.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 09:21 PM   #2
plehrman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i 2023

I had this same issue, turns out it was my VPN. Are you using one on your phone? If so you need to white list AA.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
Iggi
Rep

plehrman - I do not have a VPN on my smartphone.

Can you please check what is the frequency of WiFi-Direct connection (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) when your smartphone is connected to AA?
(it should be visible on your smartphone when you click on WiFi and then on WiFi_BMW_Connection). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggi View Post
Hello Dear Experts,
A week ago, I got a new X1 (model 2023, with ConnectedDrive option) with iDrive8.

I can not connect my Android Google Pixel 6 Pro smartphone with Android 13 to the Android Auto of BMW X1.

The iDrive8 shows the following error when I am trying to connect to X1 Android Auto: "connection failed, check your BT/WiFi and try again"

I tried rebooting iDrive8, rebooting smartphone, removing/reconnecting Bluetooth/Wireless connections (in iDrive8 and in the smartphone), but still can not connect.

The Bluetooth connection seems connected and working OK (I can make phone calls and stream music via car speakers).

The WiFi Direct connection seems connected and working OK, but the connection is established via 2.4 GHz frequency. I suspect this can be part of the problem. I know that my smartphone supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi connections. I was reading that Android Auto needs 5 GHz connection of WiFiDirect, but I am not fully sure about that. If someone has AndroidAuto working - please check the frequency of your WiFi connection - while your phone is connected to Android Auto.

So, I need some help to get it work - please helm me The Experts!
I was also reading about some possible missing "code of BMW" that are maybe missing on some X1 cars. But not sure how to check that.

I asked BMW Connected Drive team to help but they sent me to my local BMW dealership - which says "Android Auto is typically not working with most BMW cars", which I know is not accurate since there are many reports on internet with people using [...]
This makes me very nervous as my current 23 X1 connects Android Auto to my phone (SG21 Ultra) every time. The replacement X1 is at the port waiting to be assigned a vessel, and now I'm worried the Android Auto won't work in the new one.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #5
plehrman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i 2023

Quote:
plehrman - I do not have a VPN on my smartphone.

Can you please check what is the frequency of WiFi-Direct connection (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) when your smartphone is connected to AA?
(it should be visible on your smartphone when you click on WiFi and then on WiFi_BMW_Connection). Thanks!
It's 5G.
Appreciate 1
Iggi4.00
      07-17-2023, 01:30 PM   #6
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

just want to chime in here... my friend has the current Google Pixel 7 Pro. During a long drive, he connected it to my X1 using Android Auto. It worked beautifully. Google Maps navigation worked much better that way than when I use Google Maps via my iPhone and CarPlay. (not that it was surprise to me, of course) All the music apps(Pandora, YouTube Music Premium) also worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:10 AM   #7
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Elpus View Post
I have tried several Samsung brand devices including 2 that I know work with Android Auto in other cars. All have failed to connect to my X1 so that seems to indicate the car side as being at fault.
Are you on ID9 by any chance, think this might be a bug in the latest OS as not seen this reported until recently, doh - edited to add the original poster has an issue on ID8. Very strange.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:27 AM   #8
Iggi
Rep

Thank you All Experts for your input so far!

This is what we know so far about the issue:

Per "What are the requirements for my smartphone to use Android Auto in my BMW?" section in BMW link below:

-- The prerequisite for using Android Auto™ is a compatible Android phone with an active data plan and 5 GHz Wi-Fi support:

-- A Google or Samsung phone with Android 10.0
A Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, or Note 8, with Android 9.0
Other brand phones with Android 11.0

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owne...roid-auto.html

It seems that when Android Auto works - the smartphone connects to X1's WiFi-Direct using 5 GHz frequency. (confirmed by plehrman )

In my case, when Android Auto does not work - the smartphone connects to X1's WiFi-Direct using 2.4 GHz frequency.

I saw in internet forums that the 5 GHz frequency of WiFi (needed for AA) can be allowed in some areas/countries and can be blocked in other areas/countries.

Also, per BMW link below, if X1 has "smartphone integration" option/code, then the AA should work. Note: my X1 has this option, but AA does not work.
https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/...Integration_gb

Also, per "Which BMW models have Android Auto ?" section in BMW link below,
- Vehicles with BMW Operating System 7 or 8.
- Vehicles with the optional equipment Connected Package Professional (6C4). Only available in conjunction with BMW Live Cockpit Plus (6U2) or BMW Live Cockpit Professional (6U3).
- Note: The requirements for and availability of Android Auto™ may vary depending on the country.
https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owne...roid-auto.html
My X1 does not have the above codes and no-one at local BMW dealership ever told me about these codes and never offered me to purchase any of these options.

And, based on Google's link below, BMW X1 and X2 are not compatible with Google's Android Auto (which is in contradiction with BMW website).
https://www.android.com/auto/compati...ility-vehicles

==============>>>>>>>>>>>>

So far looks like a mess with BMW X1 in terms of Android Auto connectivity.

Dear Experts - if anyone has any idea or suggestion on how to investigate or resolve this issue - your input would be highly appreciated!
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2023, 08:22 AM   #9
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Elpus View Post
I did some more testing last night around the 5 Ghz connection.

I had to go round a number of loops to get a wireless connection established but it did connect at 5 Ghz . However, that did not result in Android Auto firing up.

One thing I did notice was that subsequent attempts to get a wireless connection completely failed. If you try to connect manually, the phone prompts for a password despite "Connect automatically" being set on the connection entry. Unless I missed it, there was no point where a password was required to establish the initial connection so no chance of knowing what it was.

I give up. I'm going to root out my old magnetic phone holder and power the phone via USB as the wireless charging can't supply enough power to even keep the battery at a static level.
The wireless charger is somewhat of a joke. With my iPhone it barely charged the phone at all when using CarPlay for music over a 45 minute drive. With using maps or other apps while driving it couldn't charge the phone at all. I ended up using a Brodit mount specific for the X1, which I believe the company is based out of the UK. MUCH better charging rates and keeps the phone in my eye line, which is sometimes necessary when driving because CarPlay doesn't support certain apps I use while working.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
Iggi4.00
      07-19-2023, 06:20 PM   #10
dsab85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMC X1 i20 M Sport

I can get AA working on ID9, but not consistently. If I setup my BMW profile from scratch it will work immediately. But at some point it will stop reconnecting, sometimes that is after leaving the car once and other times it works for 2 or 3 days and then fails again. Can't make any rhyme of it. Only way to get it back working is to remove profile and to recreate it again from scratch
Appreciate 1
Iggi4.00
      07-20-2023, 12:58 PM   #11
Iggi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsab85 View Post
I can get AA working on ID9, but not consistently. If I setup my BMW profile from scratch it will work immediately. But at some point it will stop reconnecting, sometimes that is after leaving the car once and other times it works for 2 or 3 days and then fails again. Can't make any rhyme of it. Only way to get it back working is to remove profile and to recreate it again from scratch
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 09:24 PM   #12
Iggi
Rep

Guys, after pinging BMW tech support for dozens of time, they finally revealed why the Wireless Android Auto is NOT working....

Wireless Android Auto requires both Bluetooth connection to the smartphone and Wifi-Direct 5GHZ connection to the smartphone.
The 5 Ghz frequency must be supported and enabled by the Wifi-Direct Hardware which is part of the BMW head-unit.

The WiFi-Direct hardware within BMW head-units from the recent years typically support the 5 GHZ frequency (and also the 2.4 GHZ frequency).

BUT... in some regions/countries, BMW failed to comply with local regulations to support the 5 GHZ frequency in such way that it is not interfering with local network infrastructure (which is also using 5 GHZ frequency).
So, in such regions/countries, BMW just silently disabled the 5 GHZ frequency of its WiFi-Direct, which means that BMW's WiFi-Direct actually operates only at 2.4 GHZ frequency, which is not enough for the Wireless Android Auto to work.

BMW does not provide this information in the error message displaced in BMW Head-unit, upon connection failure of Wireless Android Auto.

BMW does not provide this information in their Web Site and in their FAQ

BMW online tech support does not provide this information when you open a ticket. (They typically tell you that the problem is with your smartphone, or you need to upgrade to the latest software version, or other irrelevant stuff).

When you log-in to your BMW web portal with your VIN number, BMW shows that the Wireless Android Auto is fully supported and operational for your specific vehicle.

So, not sure why, but it seems like the real reason is possibly hidden from people that purchased BMW cars and struggle to connect to connect their Android Smartphones to BMW's Wireless Android Auto.

This problem is not relevant to iPhones, since Apple CarPlay requirements are different.

This problem is not relevant to the speed/frequency of your smartphone's internet connection (provided by your local mobile operator).

Another interesting point is that in the regions/countries where BMW's Wireless Android Auto is not working, the Wireless Android Auto is working perfectly at most other car brands (i.e. Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, etc.) The reason for that is that these other car brands do support 5 GHZ WiFi-Direct in such a way that it is compliant with local regulations.

On my way of searching for solution to get the Wireless Android Auto working in my car, I was suggested to try the "coding" option, which is actually sending a certain code (via the OBD port of the car), which enables the 5 GHZ WiFi-Direct in BMW's head-unit. I heard that some car shops offer such coding procedure (i.e. $800), but it is not clear what happens with the warranty of the BMW and whether this coding is kept or deleted upon next periodic software update of the BMW.
If someone know more about such a coding, and perhaps about the code, and perhaps if it can be done using OBD-Bluetooth dongle + app, --- please share your knowledge with your fellows...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:33 AM   #13
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Guys, after pinging BMW tech support for dozens of time, they finally revealed why the Wireless Android Auto is NOT working....

Wireless Android Auto requires both Bluetooth connection to the smartphone and Wifi-Direct 5GHZ connection to the smartphone.
The 5 Ghz frequency must be supported and enabled by the Wifi-Direct Hardware which is part of the BMW head-unit.

The WiFi-Direct hardware within BMW head-units from the recent years typically support the 5 GHZ frequency (and also the 2.4 GHZ frequency).

BUT... in some regions/countries, BMW failed to comply with local regulations to support the 5 GHZ frequency in such way that it is not interfering with local network infrastructure (which is also using 5 GHZ frequency).
So, in such regions/countries, BMW just silently disabled the 5 GHZ frequency of its WiFi-Direct, which means that BMW's WiFi-Direct actually operates only at 2.4 GHZ frequency, which is not enough for the Wireless Android Auto to work.

BMW does not provide this information in the error message displaced in BMW Head-unit, upon connection failure of Wireless Android Auto.

BMW does not provide this information in their Web Site and in their FAQ

BMW online tech support does not provide this information when you open a ticket. (They typically tell you that the problem is with your smartphone, or you need to upgrade to the latest software version, or other irrelevant stuff).

When you log-in to your BMW web portal with your VIN number, BMW shows that the Wireless Android Auto is fully supported and operational for your specific vehicle.

So, not [...]
The iPhone uses both Bluetooth and 5Ghz wifi to connect to your car for wireless apple carplay. As far as coding goes, the U11 X1 seems to be locked down so tight no one has really figured out how to do any advanced coding with it, and BMW could possibly deny warranty coverage.
Someone previously stated they were able to use CarPlay using a usb cable, maybe this would work for Android Auto as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 11:59 AM   #14
Iggi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
The iPhone uses both Bluetooth and 5Ghz wifi to connect to your car for wireless apple carplay. As far as coding goes, the U11 X1 seems to be locked down so tight no one has really figured out how to do any advanced coding with it, and BMW could possibly deny warranty coverage.
Someone previously stated they were able to use CarPlay using a usb cable, maybe this would work for Android Auto as well?
Per answer from BMW (and per my test), U11 X1 2023 does not support wired Android Auto connection. It only supports Wireless Android Auto connection.

As well as I remember, BMW told that U11 X1 2023 does not support wired CarPlay connection. It only supports Wireless CarPlay connection. And, indeed, Wireless CarPlay is working OK with U11 X1, but it requires iPhone Smartphone. Since, CarPlay is not compatible with Android Smartphones, it leaves BMW owners with Android Smartphones without any solution to connect to BMW Android Auto.
Note: old BMW models support wired CarPlay, so there can be a workaround with a 3rd party converter box - which connects with a cable to CarPlay of BMW and also allows Android Smartphone to connect wirelessly (via AA protocol) to the converter box. This workaround (converter box) works OK for old BMW models, despite having some limitations (i.e. delays, resolution, quality, etc). This workaround does not work for newer models of BMW.

If Anyone knows about possible solution for Wireless Android Auto for U11 X1 (without 5GHZ of WiFi-Direct) - please share the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 06:16 PM   #15
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Per answer from BMW (and per my test), U11 X1 2023 does not support wired Android Auto connection. It only supports Wireless Android Auto connection.

As well as I remember, BMW told that U11 X1 2023 does not support wired CarPlay connection. It only supports Wireless CarPlay connection. And, indeed, Wireless CarPlay is working OK with U11 X1, but it requires iPhone Smartphone. Since, CarPlay is not compatible with Android Smartphones, it leaves BMW owners with Android Smartphones without any solution to connect to BMW Android Auto.
Note: old BMW models support wired CarPlay, so there can be a workaround with a 3rd party converter box - which connects with a cable to CarPlay of BMW and also allows Android Smartphone to connect wirelessly (via AA protocol) to the converter box. This workaround (converter box) works OK for old BMW models, despite having some limitations (i.e. delays, resolution, quality, etc). This workaround does not work for newer models of BMW.

If Anyone knows about possible solution for Wireless Android Auto for U11 X1 (without 5GHZ of WiFi-Direct) - please share the info!
Yes, I was doubtful that wired CarPlay worked, but they were adamant in their post that they could use it wired on their U11. I just tried it (with Bluetooth and wifi disabled on my phone) and indeed it only works wirelessly. But, as I stated earlier, Apple CarPlay uses 5Ghz and Bluetooth. So if CarPlay works in your region, Android Auto *should* work as well and whatever BMW told you about the transceiver not passing certification would be a lie. There are many owners here having issues with iDrive 9 and Android Auto though, regardless of region, and your problems could be related.
Either way, as I don’t use Android or iDrive 9, I’m sorry I can’t offer more insight.
Appreciate 1
Iggi4.00
      03-24-2024, 12:39 PM   #16
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

Today did two journeys of 70 miles (140 miles in total). Did as suggested and connected to Android Auto using my smartphone (Samsung S23) by both bluetooth and wifi to the car. Usually, I would expect Android Auto to drop out at least twice each way on a journey of this length and time. First time I've ever had no connection problems whatsoever. Really pleased if this is the solution and not just a coincidence.

Prior to this, I just used a bluetooth connection. To be clear, my phone connected wirelessly.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:28 AM   #17
Iggi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Yes, I was doubtful that wired CarPlay worked, but they were adamant in their post that they could use it wired on their U11. I just tried it (with Bluetooth and wifi disabled on my phone) and indeed it only works wirelessly. But, as I stated earlier, Apple CarPlay uses 5Ghz and Bluetooth. So if CarPlay works in your region, Android Auto *should* work as well and whatever BMW told you about the transceiver not passing certification would be a lie. There are many owners here having issues with iDrive 9 and Android Auto though, regardless of region, and your problems could be related.
Either way, as I don’t use Android or iDrive 9, I’m sorry I can’t offer more insight.
My X1 is a U11 model of 2023 that has iDrive8. Per what BMW told me - it is not possible to upgrade iDrive8 to iDrive9.

The full 5 GHz range spans frequencies from 5.15 GHz to 5.85 GHz.

BMW told me that:

(1)
To support WiFi-Direct 5 Ghz, Wireless CarPlay uses certain radio frequency (from range 5.15-5.85 GHz) . This certain radio frequency is compliant with local government regulations, and thus it is enabled by BMW in X1.

(2)
To support WiFi-Direct 5 Ghz, Wireless Android Auto uses certain radio frequency (from range 5.15-5.85 GHz, and this frequency is different from the radio frequency used by Wireless CarPlay). This certain radio frequency is NOT compliant with local government regulations, and thus it is disabled by BMW in X1.

This causes inability to connect to WiFi-Direct at 5Ghz as part of connection to Wireless Android Auto. Instead, the connection to WiFi-Direct is at 2.4 Ghz, which is not enough for Wireless Android Auto.

This causes (in most cases) a failure to connect Android Smartphone to Wireless Android Auto, and (in some rare cases) unstable connection of Android Smartphone to Wireless Android Auto which shortly gets disconnected

P.S. I did not find any information about Coding in U11, that enables the 5GHZ WiFi-Direct for Android Auto.

So far - no solution...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 06:47 AM   #18
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John27 View Post
Today did two journeys of 70 miles (140 miles in total). Did as suggested and connected to Android Auto using my smartphone (Samsung S23) by both bluetooth and wifi to the car. Usually, I would expect Android Auto to drop out at least twice each way on a journey of this length and time. First time I've ever had no connection problems whatsoever. Really pleased if this is the solution and not just a coincidence.

Prior to this, I just used a bluetooth connection. To be clear, my phone connected wirelessly.
Just to follow up on my earlier post. I have ID9 and have now driven over 500 miles connecting Android Auto by both bluetooth and wifi. No drop out at all. Before it was an absolute pain for dropping out especially when using Waze as sat nav (GPS) - I used to connect by bluetooth only. Grateful for Iggi posting the solution even if it was in relation to ID8.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:27 PM   #19
SpitFire868
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

Iggi, humour me and try android auto using the guest profile in your car. I had this issue on ID9 on an early software version (now fixed), but I know people on idrive 8 with the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 12:44 PM   #20
lessless
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 - 18d

Hi everyone.

Please i have some problems with my Android Auto in my X1 (u11) idrive 9. Sometimes disconnect... How can i do a re-star from zero may idrive and phone?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 03:12 PM   #21
Joaste
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive30e

Quote:
My X1 is a U11 model of 2023 that has iDrive8. Per what BMW told me - it is not possible to upgrade iDrive8 to iDrive9.

The full 5 GHz range spans frequencies from 5.15 GHz to 5.85 GHz.

BMW told me that:

(1)
To support WiFi-Direct 5 Ghz, Wireless CarPlay uses certain radio frequency (from range 5.15-5.85 GHz) . This certain radio frequency is compliant with local government regulations, and thus it is enabled by BMW in X1.

(2)
To support WiFi-Direct 5 Ghz, Wireless Android Auto uses certain radio frequency (from range 5.15-5.85 GHz, and this frequency is different from the radio frequency used by Wireless CarPlay). This certain radio frequency is NOT compliant with local government regulations, and thus it is disabled by BMW in X1.

This causes inability to connect to WiFi-Direct at 5Ghz as part of connection to Wireless Android Auto. Instead, the connection to WiFi-Direct is at 2.4 Ghz, which is not enough for Wireless Android Auto.

This causes (in most cases) a failure to connect Android Smartphone to Wireless Android Auto, and (in some rare cases) unstable connection of Android Smartphone to Wireless Android Auto which shortly gets disconnected

P.S. I did not find any information about Coding in U11, that enables the 5GHZ WiFi-Direct for Android Auto.

So far - no solution...
So first of all, upgrade your pixel 6 pro to android 14. The update has been available for a very long time now. There is no reason to stay on Android 13.

After that, I would do a full reset of iDrive 8 (not just a reboot).

Then re-pair your phone to the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 09:22 AM   #22
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessless View Post
Hi everyone.

Please i have some problems with my Android Auto in my X1 (u11) idrive 9. Sometimes disconnect... How can i do a re-star from zero may idrive and phone?
See Iggi's post #14 in this thread. Make sure you have "Wireless Android Auto requires both Bluetooth connection to the smartphone and Wifi-Direct 5GHZ connection to the smartphone.

I used to just connect by Bluetooth and had Android Auto cutting out. Following Iggi's post, I connect both by Bluetooth and Wifi and have since covered over 700 miles in multiple journeys. Only once has it cut out and that was in a known mobile phone black spot so hardly surprising.

Try this if you are not already doing so. It is working for me.
Appreciate 0