BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) New iDrive 03/2024.30 Update

03-20-2024, 06:41 PM   #1
rlynn92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i,X1 M35i

Hello all,

Just got my car back from the dealer for some carplay issues with ID9. They were somehow able to update it to the new 03/2024.30 software update. I was very surprised to see this since I haven't even seen it released yet, so I wanted to detail the changes I see in the X1. This was not available OTA for me, nor was the 11.2023 update. My dealer was not sure if the 03/2024 update was a dealer load-only update or if it would eventually come to OTA.

Updates:
  1. Carplay Issues: Are they fixed? The short answer is no. On the way home from the dealer, I noticed numerous audio cutouts. However, the phone calls seemed way more stable. I'm going on a road trip this weekend, so I'll tinker some more. There does appear to be a "hey siri" integration that allows the use of Siri without pressing the button. Haven't tried it. I'm very disappointed this doesn't address the car play cutout issues, as this probably means it will be another 3 months at least before we see a fix.
  1. Auto Start/Stop: There's a new button for deactivating Auto start/stop when selecting the drive settings button. (Photo attached) This eliminates the need to go into the settings to turn it off. It still does not allow this feature to be turned off by default as far as I can tell. In addition, there's no button state to show auto start/stop deactivated. Terribly inconsistent UX, but it's better than nothing.
  1. My Modes: A bug caused the gear icon to not consistently appear in the top right corner when changing drive modes. That icon now appears consistently after selecting a drive mode.
  2. Drive Recorder: Activated and working. I noticed some said this came with the dealer load 11/2023 update so not really new news here. But coming from 07/2023 I was happy to see it added.
  1. Driver assistance plus: Like others have noted, this wont activate via the connected drive store despite having the correct hardware. Still no luck on my end even with the new software update.
  1. My BMW App: I do not see the remote window open/close feature in the app yet. I'll keep an eye, as the app still says my car's software is 07/2023

That's all I've seen for now. I'll update this thread if I notice any more changes/improvements. If anyone else has this update let me know!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Maui_M46.50
X1_x23d12.00
TopM10.00
      03-20-2024, 08:10 PM   #2
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 | 964 | x1 M35

Thanks for the info.
I certainly need to visit the dealer to see if the update is available for me as I'm dealing with afew annoying software issues. Most notable is periodically slow startup times for the UI, resetting settings (data access to app) and the "unlock all doors" never unlocking all the doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:30 AM   #3
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
My 03/2024.30 update came as a OTA update directly to my x1 yesterday or the day before.
I’m on the east coast of USA & don’t see to much of a change as compared to the 11/2023.25 which it replaced. I did see the deactivate on/off feature shown in the screen mentioned above as well as the one I made a shortcut when I got my x1 in late December 2023. So I’m guessing there are other updates I’ll come across as I drive it more.

I’m hoping it did fix several bugs many have been discussing with this forum.

As far as Your problem with the x1 system not recognizing the DRIVER ASSISTANT PLUS subscription, I had same issue for 3 months. And a 4 day stay over at dealer service last week finally fixed it. BE PERSISTENT & IF IT WAS TO BE A FREE 3 MONTH TRIAL, PUSH FOR IT TO BEGIN WHEN ITS FINALLY CORRECTED. I was told it’s a software problem at their end.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:03 PM   #4
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
UPDATE: within a day of the New OTA software 3/2024.30 that loaded directly to my 24 x1, I’ve lost XM radio entirely. It States No subscription, No Radio ID & No channels at all. I’ve spent about 2-1/2 hours on the phone with XM customer service on 2 separate occasions & they are unable to restore the Radio ID to the infotainment system.
They are suggesting that the latest BMW update is the cause. Probably loosing connection to XM’s Satellite array.

XM suggests I bring it back the BMW for service. BTW I just had it there last week for 4 days to get Drivers Assistant Plus to work since it did not since I picked up the X1 in late December.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THE XM DISABLED AS A RESULT IF RECENT UPDATE??

Since 03/2024 OTA Updated took place a few days ago I’ve lost XM Radio, BMW DIGITAL PREMIUM & the latest today 3/24/24, I’ve been removed from MYBMW app by BMW. That means my X1 does not register either the Primary or Secondary Drivers. Personalized settings are gone which took hours to inputs 3 months ago.

I’m headed to BMW SERVICE on Tuesday March 26th in the hopes they can restore everything in one visit. MY PROBLEMS ARE GROWING & IS MAKING ME RETHINK MY PURCHASING DECISION OR EVER BUYING ANOTHER BMW 🤬
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:22 PM   #5
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

It seems whilst we want the updates to fix problems, BMWs now legendarily poor testing (customers are just beta testers it seems) has raised its ugly head again.

They seemed to have slowed most updates after cars got bricked when updated last year, we are on a stable version of ID8 and at this point, happy to stay on it I think, zero issues that I could call out as a bug.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 11:09 PM   #6
coffejor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 M35i; 2022 X3 M40i

Had to send my X1 M35i to the dealer Thursday due to a drivetrain error. One benefit: 03/2024 update. Couple of personal observations:

1) boot up is now lightning fast (seriously, night and day difference);
2) Apple map directions now display on my HUD;
3) Dropping calls seem drastically better (used to drop 90-95% of calls at the 30-60 second mark; hasn’t dropped one since);
4) drive recorder now is available;

Now the less good
1) CarPlay still has regular, noticeable audio stutters;
2) CarPlay still freezes and/or crashes from time to time (1-2 times per day).

Overall, seems like a step in the right direction!
Appreciate 1
MMandov13.50
      03-25-2024, 06:06 AM   #7
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
Unfortunately my experience with the latest 3/2024.30 has been HORRIBLE. See my post above from a few days back. With less than 1000 miles, tomorrow’s service app is my 2nd in 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 04:04 PM   #8
rickwiel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1

I am running 11/2023 software on a new X1...several software issues.
1.) Sirius XM is available, but defaults to the "All" screen upon selection even though you have saved favorites. The SAFETY issue is that when you finally touch the screen a few times to get to "your" stations, you have lost focus of the road. The solution on my other BMW is to use the steering wheel selector to change form one channel to another. Unfortunately, this does not work on the X1 and only allows incrementing 1 channel at a time through ALL of them! Interestingly, it DOES work on FM Radio.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 04:12 PM   #9
rickwiel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1

Other software issues:
2.) Can't create shortcuts for functions where you need them
3.) Map speed limit detection does not work in many areas. It is supposed to use maps, GPS, and a camera to find the speed limit but you can drive right past the sign and no change. The speed limit should turn of if it cannot determine the speed as opposed to defaulting to 25 mph.
4.) Main screen is slow to boot up when starting the car. If you try to reverse right away, all display controls are gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:48 PM   #10
rlynn92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffejor View Post
Had to send my X1 M35i to the dealer Thursday due to a drivetrain error. One benefit: 03/2024 update. Couple of personal observations:

1) boot up is now lightning fast (seriously, night and day difference);
2) Apple map directions now display on my HUD;
3) Dropping calls seem drastically better (used to drop 90-95% of calls at the 30-60 second mark; hasn’t dropped one since);
4) drive recorder now is available;

Now the less good
1) CarPlay still has regular, noticeable audio stutters;
2) CarPlay still freezes and/or crashes from time to time (1-2 times per day).

Overall, seems like a step in the right direction!

I’m seeing the same improvements. Went on a road trip and didn’t have CarPlay completely disconnect which was great. That was the most frustrating part of the ID9 issues in my opinion (and dangerous).

Super fast boot now too! But still struggling with audio cut outs here and there. And still no drivers assistant plus.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 02:31 PM   #11
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
I was told by a local BMW Genius member this morning that whenever BMW has a Software update, like the March one they put through, some personal settings such as “Shortcuts”, “Personal Assistant” so “Hey BMW” works & a couple of others MUST be inputted again & sometimes even your XM Radio favorites. They said it’s not a flaw it’s how it’s been designed.

Has that been your experience as well in the X1 or another BMW you had/have??
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 02:51 PM   #12
Splont
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i MSport

Really hope the dealer updates mine to this version when I take it in in two weeks. Still having lots of random problems, mostly around android auto at the moment.

Of course it would be nice if they could roll it out over the air to me sooner, I won't have to go in then.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:24 AM   #13
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynn92 View Post
Hello all,

Just got my car back from the dealer for some carplay issues with ID9. They were somehow able to update it to the new 03/2024.30 software update. I was very surprised to see this since I haven't even seen it released yet, so I wanted to detail the changes I see in the X1. This was not available OTA for me, nor was the 11.2023 update. My dealer was not sure if the 03/2024 update was a dealer load-only update or if it would eventually come to OTA.

Updates:
  1. Carplay Issues: Are they fixed? The short answer is no. On the way home from the dealer, I noticed numerous audio cutouts. However, the phone calls seemed way more stable. I'm going on a road trip this weekend, so I'll tinker some more. There does appear to be a "hey siri" integration that allows the use of Siri without pressing the button. Haven't tried it. I'm very disappointed this doesn't address the car play cutout issues, as this probably means it will be another 3 months at least before we see a fix.
  1. Auto Start/Stop: There's a new button for deactivating Auto start/stop when selecting the drive settings button. (Photo attached) This eliminates the need to go into the settings to turn it off. It still does not allow this feature to be turned off by default as far as I can tell. In addition, there's no button state to show auto start/stop deactivated. Terribly inconsistent UX, but it's better than nothing.
  1. My Modes: A bug caused the gear icon to not consistently appear in the top right corner when changing drive modes. That icon now appears consistently after selecting a drive mode.
  2. Drive Recorder: Activated and working. I noticed some said this came with the dealer load 11/2023 update so not really new news here. But coming from 07/2023 I was happy to see it added.
  1. Driver assistance plus: Like others have noted, this wont activate via the connected drive store despite having the correct hardware. Still no luck on my end even with the new software update.
  1. My BMW App: I do not see the remote window open/close feature in the app yet. I'll keep an eye, as the app still says my car's software is 07/2023

That's all I've seen for now. I'll update this thread if I notice any more changes/improvements. If anyone else has this update let me know!
Hellooo!

I have a few possible "alternative solutions" to some of the issues/concerns that you mentioned in your post. I have seen this work in the X1's with iDrive 8 (correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the X1's never received iDrive 8.5 and went straight from iDrive 8 --> iDrive 9), and so maybe these could apply to X1's with iDrive 9!

Disclaimers:
1. I assume you are in the North American region and so the methods down below may or may not be applicable to X1's owners in different regions!
2. I also assume you are LOGGED IN to your profile (BMW ID)

Alternative solutions:

2. "Auto Start/Stop"
2A. You can add the "Auto Start/Stop" menu to your favorites and this can be done when you press and hold the menu and then the car should ask "add to favorites". Once added, you simply pull/drag down your "favorites" and once you select the "Auto Start/Stop" menu, it will take you directly to the menu where you can hit "deactivate once". This method is slightly faster and more convenient than having
to go: "Driving Settings" --> "Auto Start Stop" --> Deactivate once

2B. Whenever you select "Sport" mode, it will disable the Auto Start/Stop function. (i.e., the engine will stay on). You can configure the driving settings with "Sport Individual" and you can put the drivetrain, chassis, and steering wheel all into "COMFORT". In other words, "Sport Individual" can allow you to drive in SPORT MODE while using the comfort/normal/personal driving mode. Now because we are using "SPORT individual", this will disable the Auto Start/Stop feature, because remember, any variation of "SPORT" mode will disable the Auto Start/Stop feature, thus this is another way to keep Auto Start/Stop off/disabled.

A few side notes about Sport mode:
1. The layout of the instrument cluster will become smaller or more narrow and you lose the ability to change the ambient lighting color - Sport mode changes the ambient lighting to Red and Indigo and there is nothing you can do about it (meanwhile the X5/X6/X7/XM with either iDrive 8 or iDrive 8.5 has a unique setting where you can separate the ambient lighting color from the driving mode (e.g., I can drive an X7 in Sport mode, but have the ambient lighting color set to Turquoise)).
2. You can also add Sport mode (any variation of it) and ECO-PRO mode to your "favorites" and so doing this will allow you to change the driving mode without having to go through the "MY Modes" button/menu

2C. Lastly, driving with "MAX A/C" will keep the engine on and disable Auto Start/Stop! Keep in mind that you can adjust the fan speed (and I believe the temperature?) while using MAX A/C (e.g., after hitting MAX A/C, I can lower the fan speed, while still keeping MAX A/C active.
NOTE: I believe and assume this still works in the newer BMW models, but I'll double check tomorrow - I'll ask the Loaner department if I can borrow an X1 with iDrive 9!

3. You can by-pass MY Modes by saving either Sport Mode and/or ECO mode to your "favorites"! Once saved to your favorites, your driving mode will change, thus allowing you to by-pass "MY Modes"
Side note about MY modes: Personal, Sport, and ECO are the only modes that will change the driving dynamics of the vehicle; "Expressive, Relax, and Digital Art" modes will have no affect on the car, as they serve as themes - I hope I'm making sense?

4. WARNING about Drive Recorder: When doing a software update on a lot vehicle that has iDrive 8.5, there is a disclaimer that states "your drive recorder settings will reset and your DRIVE RECORDINGS will be erased". I am not sure, nor could I confirm, if this happens to iDrive 7 and/or iDrive 9 users, but I have only seen this with iDrive 8.5 and I would rather you be safe than sorry!
- I drive a 2021 BMW 330i with iDrive 7 (I named him "Hrag"), and all of my drive recorder settings are still the same, and I have two drive recordings from 2022 and they are still there, despite doing many software updates!

5. Remote Engine Start and the myBMW app - Similarly to the drive recorder resetting itself following a software update, Remote Engine start will reset (factory settings has Remote Engine Start disabled). If you want to re-enable Remote Start, you'll find the setting under the "Climate control settings". Vehicles without Remote Engine Start (or disabled) will see only a fan under the "remote services category"; Vehicles with Remote Engine Start and have it enabled, will see a fan and an arrow on top of the fan in the "remote services" category
NOTE: You may have to hit "All services" under your vehicle's Data Privacy to get the most out of the app!

A few side notes about Remote Engine Start:
- If your vehicle does NOT have Remote Engine Start ($300 option) from the factory, but would like to have this feature, you can add the feature by purchasing it from the Connected Drive Store for a price of $330 and there is no limit to how many times you can use the feature or how long you have it - it says "unlimited" when viewing it from the connected drive store.
- Remote Engine Start can be activated via the myBMW app (do this if your vehicle is not within range of the key) or you can activate it via the key by pressing the lock button 3 times and holding it on the 3rd click
- I've noticed on many MY24 BMW's that there tends to be a slight lag when activating Remote Engine Start via the key and there has been many times that I've used my key to remote start my car, but after thinking the first attempt was unsuccessful due to my car not responding, I would then do a second attempt, which usually results in attempt one starting the car and attempt two turning it right back off! -____-
- Similarly to other MY24 BMW's, I have noticed Remote Engine Start will NOT activate if your vehicle is on "Fuel Reserve", which only comes up when (I believe) your vehicle has less than 50 miles of fuel remaining, but more than 30 miles of fuel remaining. When doing a remote engine start on a car on fuel reserve, you would only see the lights flash, but the engine will not start and you'll likely encounter a "remote start not possible" notification pop up on the instrument cluster.

Closing thoughts/opinions
- I hate the iDrive system in 2023 - present X1's/X2's; I find myself having to take my eyes off the road more and more to deal with that thing, and the small font and icons further makes it worse. I see people eventually running out of patience with that iDrive system and will just tape or position their IOS/Android device over the screen and use it for media, navigation, etc. If I had an X1, all you would ever see on my screen is AUX or Bluetooth Audio/Apple CarPlay
- Those using Apple Maps (IOS users) should know that Apple Maps is now better integrated with BMW's iDrive system and so Apple Maps can now be seen the instrument cluster and Head - Up Display (HUD)! Google Maps and Waze can also be used, but I have not seen them show up anywhere else besides the Apple CarPlay menu (i.e., I have yet to see Waze and/or Google Maps show up in the instrument cluster and Head - Up Display)!

Anyways, sorry for the rather lengthy post, but I hope the advice/methods listed above can help you and other X1/X2 owners out there!

If you (or anyone else) have any other tips or advice to offer, I encourage you (and anyone else) to share it!

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask me (us) - we all family!

Fun Fact: Before I got my 2021 330i (G20), I drove a 2018 X1 (F48) and a 2015 X1 (E84) and were both named "Brennan" and "Elliot" respectively and so I have a soft spot for the X1's! hahah
Appreciate 1
RNorb233.00
      04-04-2024, 07:42 PM   #14
X1_x23d
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d MSport 2023

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [9.25]
Received a prompt on the phone App that an software update is available for my X1, but reading some of the posts on this thread makes me think twice if I should update it or not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:20 PM   #15
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
2. "Auto Start/Stop"
2A. You can add the "Auto Start/Stop" menu to your favorites and this can be done when you press and hold the menu and then the car should ask "add to favorites". Once added, you simply pull/drag down your "favorites" and once you select the "Auto Start/Stop" menu, it will take you directly to the menu where you can hit "deactivate once". This method is slightly faster and more convenient than having
to go: "Driving Settings" --> "Auto Start Stop" --> Deactivate once
Not currently an option for ID9.

I've only been able to add the "Drivetrain and Chassis" shortcut and then have to drill down to deactivate the Auto Start Stop.

Installed the 03/2024.30 update today after being notified on the Mobile App. Haven't noticed any changes except my and spouse's shortcuts were rearranged. It almost appears that the ones on top were flipped to the bottom.
Attached Images

04-05-2024, 04:22 AM   #16
fili92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1_x23d View Post
Received a prompt on the phone App that an software update is available for my X1, but reading some of the posts on this thread makes me think twice if I should update it or not.
I received my car one week ago and I already have 03/2024.30 and I can tell you that everything works fine.
Maybe 1 or 2 times in an hour CarPlay lags for few seconds, but I don't have any other issues.
The loading at the start is super fast.
I think you should update
Appreciate 1
X1_x23d12.00
      04-05-2024, 11:16 PM   #17
rlynn92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1_x23d View Post
I would update. There are still issues but it’s miles better than the previous version.
Appreciate 1
X1_x23d12.00
      04-07-2024, 08:04 PM   #18
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynn92 View Post
I would update. There are still issues but it’s miles better than the previous version.
I agree, we’re making progress in the right direction
Appreciate 2
X1_x23d12.00
Maui_M46.50