BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Intelligent Octopus Go

03-23-2024, 12:25 PM   #1
andybarton
Rep
Drives: iX1 XDRIVE 30

Intelligent Octopus Go

Hi

Does anyone in the UK know how to get this to work properly?

I’m having a massive PITA and ongoing conversation with Octopus CS regarding the way that their Ontelligent Go system won’t override the BMW App charging.

I have a BP Pulse home charger, set to charge at any time, 24/7

The iX1 is set to charge “immediately” via the App ( as instructed by Octopus )

The Octopus App shows that they have scheduled three periods overnight to get my car to 100%

Problem is that the car just charges as soon as I plug it in (at 17:05 this afternoon) and doesn’t take any notice of what Octopus are supposed to be doing.

This has been an ongoing problem since I got the iX1 about six weeks ago and I’m thinking of just dropping back to Dumb Octopus Go and sorting it out myself.

I’m not a newbie to charging as we also have an i3, but would like to get the extra 2 hours of cheap electricity overnight, given the larger battery in the iX1.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:45 AM   #2
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

I don't know about the iX1, but we have got Octopus IG. It is linked to my Taycan and is also used on the wife's X1 30e - just using the cars timers overnight.

So just guessing here....

What happens if you uncheck 'immediate charge' and put a manual timer on the car (say 11.30 - 05.30)?

On my car, Octopus override my timer and a new one they put on called 'Enode' appears each time I plug it in, with their schedule and my timer is turned off.

Whereas if I have my car on 'immediate charge' it will do just that (like using 'bump charge' on the Octopus app).
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 03:52 PM   #3
andybarton
Rep

Thanks. If I set the car to charge manually between 23:30 and 05:30, it will do so.

But, Octopus specifically told me that there should be no other scheduling software or apps active that will interfere with their scheduling.

There is no way that their 3x half hour sessions overnight will charge my car up to 100% so I just don’t know how their system works. As far as I can see, it doesn’t.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:12 AM   #4
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

The way it works for me (Taycan) - only been on the tariff a couple of weeks.
Home EVSE is set to dumb mode:

1. I don't have any timers set on the car.

2. I don't have immediate charge turned on either.

3. I plug the car in and it always starts charging immediately.

4. After a short time it stops charging.

At the same time I get a msg from the app saying the nights charge has been mapped and states the times.
If I look at the car, a new 'enode' timer has appeared that Octopus have put on (often with strange timings).
This dissapears when it's charged and a new one appears next time it's plugged in.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 05:51 AM   #5
jjm1971
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1 eDrive20

I've got a Podpoint charger, with Intelligent Octopus Go and I have the charger set to manual, so will charge when plugged in. My iX1 is set to charge immediately, so when I plug in it charges for a few mins and then Octopus sets the charging schedule and it pauses until the scheduled time.

The BMW app is updated with a random charging schedule and departure time, however the charging does work in line with the Octopus schedule. I have noticed a couple of times the same issue you're getting, where the car has continued charging despite the OG schedule being set, not sure why but it's not happened often.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 06:29 AM   #6
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm1971 View Post
I've got a Podpoint charger, with Intelligent Octopus Go and I have the charger set to manual, so will charge when plugged in. My iX1 is set to charge immediately, so when I plug in it charges for a few mins and then Octopus sets the charging schedule and it pauses until the scheduled time.

The BMW app is updated with a random charging schedule and departure time, however the charging does work in line with the Octopus schedule. I have noticed a couple of times the same issue you're getting, where the car has continued charging despite the OG schedule being set, not sure why but it's not happened often.
I was told by Octopus that even if the car charges in daylight hours, as long as its the nominated vehicle, it will always be at the cheap rate - unless you 'bump charge' it.

I assume that you may have a day with say lots of sun and wind and low demand - when electricity is cheap during daylight hours. In which case the charge is not delayed.
Just guessing there though.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 02:42 PM   #7
Puffinrock
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 30e MSport

Hope this helps - unless you set leave time for the next day (every day) via the BMW app it just charges immediately. Doesn't seem to be a way to do this permanently. Will let you know if the dealer tells me a way round it as only had the car a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 04:16 AM   #8
jjm1971
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1 eDrive20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Fingers View Post
I was told by Octopus that even if the car charges in daylight hours, as long as its the nominated vehicle, it will always be at the cheap rate - unless you 'bump charge' it.

I assume that you may have a day with say lots of sun and wind and low demand - when electricity is cheap during daylight hours. In which case the charge is not delayed.
Just guessing there though.
Yes that's correct, depends on when they set the schedule, sometimes it's outwith the normal 2330 - 0530 cheap rate hours. Also depends on what time you say you want the car to be charged by.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 04:44 AM   #9
andybarton
Rep

Thanks both of you. Your help is much appreciated.

For the first time, it all worked as it should last night. The Octopus connection messed with the BMW App but it charged to 100% overnight.

Hopefully it will continue to do so.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 06:52 AM   #10
Kosymodo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX1 xDrive30 M Sport

I have IOG using an Ohme Home Pro...works faultlessly

Think the integration with Ohme chargers is better than with others though, so possibly why I haven't experienced any issues
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 05:53 PM   #11
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Just switched to Octopus via Shell, for out usage and for the 25e the Octopus compare app is saying that the tracker tariff is quite a bit cheaper for us most days even when the car is going from 0-95%.

Will check for a few more days before we switch from the default.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2024, 12:32 PM   #12
andybarton
Rep

Setup the car to charge tonight and despite Octopus setting up a schedule it’s just started charging itself to be complete at 22:30.

This is just so unreliable, it’s a joke.
Appreciate 0