BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

01-14-2024, 03:55 PM   #8053
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I may get old, but I refuse to grow up!
You’re a Toys R’Us kid!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615466.00
      01-14-2024, 04:13 PM   #8054
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Are there *really* gangs of LASD deputies like the "Industry Indians" beating up teens on the streets, or is that a baseless allegation trying to demonize the police?????
Not at all bro! Let me explain this “Deputy Gang” nonsense to you.

Every station on the department has a stylized logo - so to speak - and it was/is just a way to differentiate from each other and build morale. Industry’s logo is a downward facing arrowhead [which means “peace”] with a “14” in the center because Industry is station number fourteen in the county. I believe we have a total of 29 stations. It’s similar to the sub-cliques in the military or fire department; think of it as “teams” competing against each other. I mean that literally and figuratively. The purpose of these station monikers is simply that: team/morale building. The idea that it ultimately means it’s a gang is so ridiculous. We are our own support system; anybody working or who has worked in law enforcement will agree with that. We have to find some way to function and keep putting on the damn uniform day in & day out in a largely thankless career field. Sometimes knuckleheads do stupid stuff and it garners media attention, but the intention is not for the station identities to be some gang related criminal enterprise. We compete for stats (…e.g…who gets more gun arrests, drug arrests, etc., etc.) and it’s more of an internal thing. Stations have A LOT of pride in their policing of their respective areas and this gang thing is just another way to demonize the department. Nobody calls the military guys who get the same tattoos as a symbol of brotherhood a “gang”, but when we do it the action is labeled as such.

LAPD has a similar culture where the different patrol areas/stations differentiate themselves and it’s largely a morale thing. We find ways to try and make the job “fun” despite the state, the anti-LEO sentiment, etc. taking the wind out of our sails. Every year the state passes more pro-criminal legislation and/or reduces penalties for crimes. We’re at a junction in time where it’s almost pointless to be proactive at all.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 01-14-2024 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 9
Buug95917722.50
vreihen1615466.00
M2siast5943.00
Llarry16409.50
CamasM3e933204.50
SaMaster144455.50
      01-14-2024, 04:20 PM   #8055
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
I may get old, but I refuse to grow up!
I've been using that one for years.
      01-14-2024, 07:13 PM   #8056
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Not at all bro! Let me explain this “Deputy Gang” nonsense to you.

Every station on the department has a stylized logo - so to speak - and it was/is just a way to differentiate from each other and build morale. Industry’s logo is a downward facing arrowhead [which means “peace”] with a “14” in the center because Industry is station number fourteen in the county. I believe we have a total of 29 stations. It’s similar to the sub-cliques in the military or fire department; think of it as “teams” competing against each other. I mean that literally and figuratively. The purpose of these station monikers is simply that: team/morale building. The idea that it ultimately means it’s a gang is so ridiculous. We are our own support system; anybody working or who has worked in law enforcement will agree with that. We have to find some way to function and keep putting on the damn uniform day in & day out in a largely thankless career field. Sometimes knuckleheads do stupid stuff and it garners media attention, but the intention is not for the station identities to be some gang related criminal enterprise. We compete for stats (…e.g…who gets more gun arrests, drug arrests, etc., etc.) and it’s more of an internal thing. Stations have A LOT of pride in their policing of their respective areas and this gang thing is just another way to demonize the department. Nobody calls the military guys who get the same tattoos as a symbol of brotherhood a “gang”, but when we do it the action is labeled as such.

LAPD has a similar culture where the different patrol areas/stations differentiate themselves and it’s largely a morale thing. We find ways to try and make the job “fun” despite the state, the anti-LEO sentiment, etc. taking the wind out of our sails. Every year the state passes more pro-criminal legislation and/or reduces penalties for crimes. We’re at a junction in time where it’s almost pointless to be proactive at all.
I suspect this is universal. I worked in a number of stations/divisions/units. It's about esprit d' corp. 12 Division was the Hotel California, 51 Division had a number of names Fort Apache, Regent Park, 52 Division was Hollywood (we had the Entertainment District which got 50-75K people come in every Friday-Sunday night). 14 Division was the Flagship. It was competitive but also about team building, pride in the job and getting sticking together when it seemed that everyone was against us.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615466.00
Sedan_Clan25168.00
M2siast5943.00
      01-14-2024, 07:24 PM   #8057
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Are there *really* gangs of LASD deputies like the "Industry Indians" beating up teens on the streets, or is that a baseless allegation trying to demonize the police?????
You’re being serious my guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615466.00
      01-14-2024, 08:04 PM   #8058
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
... Hotel California...
We used to call (some of us still do, even though it no longer exists) the Los Angeles TRACON (terminal radar control facility) the Hotel California. We were always short-staffed (who wants to come to LA?) and the line "you can check-out, but you can never leave" fit us perfectly. We could bid-out to other facilities all we wanted, but the release dates were so far off that the receiving facility wouldn't wait!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25168.00
vreihen1615466.00
      01-15-2024, 07:06 AM   #8059
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We used to call (some of us still do, even though it no longer exists) the Los Angeles TRACON (terminal radar control facility) the Hotel California. We were always short-staffed (who wants to come to LA?) and the line "you can check-out, but you can never leave" fit us perfectly. We could bid-out to other facilities all we wanted, but the release dates were so far off that the receiving facility wouldn't wait!
12 Divison was the busiest station in the city. 67% of calls were high priority, it was mostly shitty neighbourhoods and projects. About 1/2 the staff had transfer requests in. There was a sign over the back door "Hotel California". You can check you but you can never leave.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615466.00
      01-15-2024, 07:34 AM   #8060
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Finally got a call for CCW pickup. Almost two years from application (thanks California). I’m just glad to have a chance to defend myself if ever I’m looking at death in front of me. Today’s climate makes me look at around my shoulder twice. I’m very thankful to our Police officers out there. I can’t imagine a world without them. They are people just like us. I met Sedan_Clan a long time ago. He was just another guy who likes BMWs, did not even gave a hint he was LAPD until we got to sharing. Although I’ve always given them the respect as I was prior military he gave me a better perspective of them being people too. Thanks again and again.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615466.00
      01-15-2024, 02:01 PM   #8061
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
You’re being serious my guy?
The bowling alley story made the national news, which is why I was suspicious about someone's agenda trying to demonize LASD.....
      01-15-2024, 02:49 PM   #8062
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
The bowling alley story made the national news, which is why I was suspicious about someone's agenda trying to demonize LASD.....
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...in-los-angeles

What the article fails to mention is the fact those “teens” were gang members/gang affiliated, threatened to shoot at the deputies and were throwing up gang signs/verbally reppin’ their hood(s). Despite the conduct of the Deputies, they weren’t just dealing with your average juvenile(s). The article colors the story in the same way they do every time a black person is shot. They change the drug dealing, gang affiliated reality and post pictures of lil’ Johnny with a bow tie in the 7th grade and lament how he was a high achieving student who never did anything wrong. It’s slanted/biased journalism at a minimum.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615466.00
jamesinaz1665.00
      01-15-2024, 02:55 PM   #8063
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM2 View Post
Finally got a call for CCW pickup. Almost two years from application (thanks California). I’m just glad to have a chance to defend myself if ever I’m looking at death in front of me. Today’s climate makes me look at around my shoulder twice. I’m very thankful to our Police officers out there. I can’t imagine a world without them. They are people just like us. I met Sedan_Clan a long time ago. He was just another guy who likes BMWs, did not even gave a hint he was LAPD until we got to sharing. Although I’ve always given them the respect as I was prior military he gave me a better perspective of them being people too. Thanks again and again.
Hey brotha! Congrats! I’m happy your CCW got approved. The more good people we have carrying, the better. I remember way back when we met. Time flies doesn’t it.
Appreciate 2
izzyM2733.00
      01-16-2024, 06:59 AM   #8064
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:

What the article fails to mention is the fact those “teens” were gang members/gang affiliated, threatened to shoot at the deputies and were throwing up gang signs/verbally reppin’ their hood(s). Despite the conduct of the Deputies, they weren’t just dealing with your average juvenile(s). The article colors the story in the same way they do every time a black person is shot. They change the drug dealing, gang affiliated reality and post pictures of lil’ Johnny with a bow tie in the 7th grade and lament how he was a high achieving student who never did anything wrong. It’s slanted/biased journalism at a minimum.
Well there are people who want to believe it's the cops that are the problem. I'm betting if most of the cop haters and those judgmental of how cops do their jobs had to intervene in just ONE incident with gang members their tone would change.
Appreciate 6
cmyx6go15782.00
vreihen1615466.00
Sedan_Clan25168.00
      01-16-2024, 07:27 AM   #8065
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I'm confused, are you suggesting that the media has an anti-law enforcement bias?
Appreciate 5
cmyx6go15782.00
vreihen1615466.00
M2siast5943.00
Sedan_Clan25168.00
T0RM3NT3712.00
      01-16-2024, 11:12 AM   #8066
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I'm confused, are you suggesting that the media has an anti-law enforcement bias?
Mods, we NEED a sarcasm font. Desperately.

WE might settle for a rum font though
cmyx6go15782.00
Sedan_Clan25168.00
jamesinaz1665.00
Llarry16409.50
SaMaster144455.50
      01-17-2024, 02:23 AM   #8067
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Just use the italics font.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 12:32 PM   #8068
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Just use the italics font.

Bazinga
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 01:39 PM   #8069
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Ba ha ha....Loser!

https://news.yahoo.com/california-co...132022235.html
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615466.00
Llarry16409.50
Buug95917722.50
      01-20-2024, 06:17 PM   #8070
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Wondering if I’m being paranoid here, but thought it would be interesting to get the opinion of this thread!

I was in Beverly Hills today and had just parked. Someone was walking by and when I was about to put in my credit card to put money in the meter, he asked if I could take a picture of him with my car. At first, I thought nothing of it and obliged. He gave me his phone and walked up to my car and I snapped a photo. He then asked if I could get closer - which sketched me out just a bit (any closer and most of the car wouldn’t even be in teh frame, it would just be him…), so I thought maybe he was trying to get me to be close enough that it would register the key and he’d try and jump in, turn the car on, and take off.

Needless to say, I said no, I’m not going to get closer, snapped another pic and handed him his phone back and he thanked me and moved on.

Again, probably being paranoid here, but are there scams associated with this kinda thing? I don’t have a front license plate and there’s no way he’d be able to see the VIN in the photo either. Just kinda sketched me out a bit (especially with all of the theft and crime running rampant in Beverly Hills).
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 06:48 PM   #8071
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Wondering if I’m being paranoid here, but thought it would be interesting to get the opinion of this thread!

I was in Beverly Hills today and had just parked. Someone was walking by and when I was about to put in my credit card to put money in the meter, he asked if I could take a picture of him with my car. At first, I thought nothing of it and obliged. He gave me his phone and walked up to my car and I snapped a photo. He then asked if I could get closer - which sketched me out just a bit (any closer and most of the car wouldn’t even be in teh frame, it would just be him…), so I thought maybe he was trying to get me to be close enough that it would register the key and he’d try and jump in, turn the car on, and take off.

Needless to say, I said no, I’m not going to get closer, snapped another pic and handed him his phone back and he thanked me and moved on.

Again, probably being paranoid here, but are there scams associated with this kinda thing? I don’t have a front license plate and there’s no way he’d be able to see the VIN in the photo either. Just kinda sketched me out a bit (especially with all of the theft and crime running rampant in Beverly Hills).
The car doesn’t start if the key is not inside the car…

I’ve had people take photos of me when I asked and they removed the entire background. People are just weird and maybe that’s what he wanted (as the person who took my picture thought I wanted).
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144455.50
      01-20-2024, 06:52 PM   #8072
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
The car doesn’t start if the key is not inside the car…

I’ve had people take photos of me when I asked and they removed the entire background. People are just weird and maybe that’s what he wanted (as the person who took my picture thought I wanted).
Makes sense and that’s what I thought. Very well he could have liked the car or wanted a tinder pic or something. Something just felt eerie/sketchy about it (but could just be paranoia, and he didn’t do anything to try and take something off me or anything (I’ve heard of those scams where one guy distracts with a request like this and someone else tried to steal your wallet/watch/keys, etc. (actually happened to me in Barcelona with a watch, but I had my wits about me and put the second guy on the ground while the “distractor” watched in horror before running away…))
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 1
M2siast5943.00
      01-20-2024, 06:55 PM   #8073
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Makes sense and that’s what I thought. Very well he could have liked the car or wanted a tinder pic or something. Something just felt eerie/sketchy about it (but could just be paranoia, and he didn’t do anything to try and take something off me or anything (I’ve heard of those scams where one guy distracts with a request like this and someone else tried to steal your wallet/watch/keys, etc. (actually happened to me in Barcelona with a watch, but I had my wits about me and put the second guy on the ground while the “distractor” watched in horror before running away…))
Attaboy!
Yes, better safe than sorry and you were nice enough to take a picture of him, with your car no less…
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144455.50
      01-20-2024, 08:53 PM   #8074
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Attaboy!
Yes, better safe than sorry and you were nice enough to take a picture of him, with your car no less…
This is my feeling. If you didn’t feel right, follow that feeling. It could’ve been something or it could’ve been nothing, but I’m a big proponent of following your gut feeling(s).

Beverly Hills has seen an increase in crime thanks to the policies of L.A. County and the state of California in general. The insulated aren’t as protected anymore.
Appreciate 5
M2siast5943.00
SaMaster144455.50
Buug95917722.50
jamesinaz1665.00
afo818259.00