BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) My X1 Experience

12-30-2022, 05:51 PM   #45
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Hmmm...funny. And I did read your first post, hence my post.

In any event, enjoy the vehicle, for as long as it lasts. Happy New Year!
Thank you sir! Happy New Year to you!!

Come back, I'll surely commit some more new car crimes for you to chide me on.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 08:22 PM   #46
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
Thank you sir! Happy New Year to you!!

Come back, I'll surely commit some more new car crimes for you to chide me on.
PSA: just do drive into the state of Virginia with radar detector!

More pictures will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 02:53 AM   #47
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Quote:
Ahh thanks my dudes! Yeah, I'll play around and find that stuff. The way the mirrors looked I didn't think they could fold in but that is a pleasant surprise. As for the HUD yeah, that's awesome... it just a little low for me by default.

Have you guys played with the drive recording or external recording stuff? It looks like it's just still photos.

What about the backup assist will that avoid obstacles?

Also, the eSIM doesn't seem compatible is that right?
The drive recorder recorded videos up to 30 seconds leading up to the trigger and 30 seconds after. It essentially is always recording. But the interior is just a still image.

Side note. Our freeways have so many rocks that within 3 weeks of ownership my front camera is pretty cracked from the very accurate rock hitting it ): so be careful with your front cameras everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 07:03 AM   #48
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

MORE PICS

As noted in other threads, the New Years gift popped up. It was a cool little video and really hammered home the fact to me that BMW is able to push updates asynchronously anytime. So this XDrive experience should only get better and better and more and more integrated.

Another thing I finally played around with is the navigation in the BMW vs using Apple or Google Maps. I actually much prefer the BMW navigation with augmented reality providing you overlaid arrows and real time traffic updates. It's really easy to type in your location or ask BMW to do it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-01-2023, 07:12 AM   #49
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildumplinx1 View Post
The drive recorder recorded videos up to 30 seconds leading up to the trigger and 30 seconds after. It essentially is always recording. But the interior is just a still image.

Side note. Our freeways have so many rocks that within 3 weeks of ownership my front camera is pretty cracked from the very accurate rock hitting it ): so be careful with your front cameras everyone!
That's really cool about the drive recorder. I guess it would also be the case then when it's stationary and someone breaks into the car or hits it too.

That sucks about the camera! Will insurance cover that? Will BMW cover that?!

I somehow have a few gnarly little scratches on my hood, they're only visible when viewed in certain light. I think it's probably just the clear coat got scratched and I probably could probably fix with some off the shelf goop myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
PSA: just do drive into the state of Virginia with radar detector!

More pictures will be greatly appreciated!
I'm not that far from Virginia, only about 2hr drive. I used to have the Lidar in my STi (it was pretty awesome) but broke on me.

The Pics will continue to flow... anything in particular you're interested to see more of?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 07:27 AM   #50
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

I noticed this when looking at the real-time vehicle information today.

This is a neat feature but I wonder how is this better/ more beneficial than a recharging the conventional way of syphoning power off the engine by way of the alternator.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 08:54 AM   #51
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

This is a neat feature but I wonder how is this better/ more beneficial than a recharging the conventional way of syphoning power off the engine by way of the alternator.
What's the ".01 mi" indicator on the right? Is that the "extra" mileage in Eco mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 09:28 AM   #52
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

does this mean the gasoline-powered U.S. X1 has regenerative braking?

that seems kind of odd....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 09:41 AM   #53
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

My F30 328 had a "charging" indicator at the very end of the MPG gauge (see pic, the blue area to the left end of the MPG indicator below the tach, with the pic of the battery). I'm assuming this is the same - not true regenerative charge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #54
Pete7874
Rep
Drives: '02 530i

Quote:
I actually much prefer the BMW navigation with augmented reality providing you overlaid arrows and real time traffic updates.
Is this included or do you have to pay extra for a monthly data plan for this to work?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 03:18 PM   #55
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Quote:

Yes to regenerative braking.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 06:53 PM   #56
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
Yes to regenerative braking.
where is the regenerative braking unit located? didn't see it from underneath the car when it was on the lift... the braking system looked like regular brakes to me... (but I was looking at the exhaust system)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 08:21 PM   #57
bcdx93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X1

The regenerative braking system was not mentioned in the press for 23' X1 neither.

Integrated braking system optimizes handling characteristics.

The new BMW X1 is equipped with an integrated braking system that delivers outstanding stopping power and superior pedal feel. This system brings together the brake activation, brake booster and braking control functions within a compact module. The required brake pressure is triggered using an electric actuator, an operating principle that generates pressure more dynamically and ensures significantly faster and more precise interventions by the DSC. The integrated braking system generates a degree of stopping power that is matched exactly to the driver’s inputs, while also providing excellent feedback via the brake pedal.

The braking system in the new X1 employs single-piston floating-caliper disc brakes at the front and rear. A brake pad wear indicator is also included as standard and provides precise information on the remaining service life of the brake pads in the operating system’s relevant menu.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:24 PM   #58
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Quote:
where is the regenerative braking unit located? didn't see it from underneath the car when it was on the lift... the braking system looked like regular brakes to me... (but I was looking at the exhaust system)
Sorry, my bad. Thought it had it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 03:57 AM   #59
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Quote:
Probably. Did the Live Status display show regeneration only whilst braking or also when coasting?

The marketing people like to use the term "regenerative braking" to describe the system whereby current is normally only drawn from the alternator to recharge the battery when the parasitic load on the engine does not affect fuel consumption, i.e. when braking.

We have a UK-spec mild hybrid. A separate integrated starter-generator charges the 48V battery under braking. Our Live Status display during regeneration is pretty much as shown in the photo in the post above, except that our car is FWD not AWD.
      01-04-2023, 09:06 AM   #60
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
Sorry, my bad. Thought it had it.
it would have been great if it was a mild hybrid and did have the regenerative braking; it would have solved the "hesitation" at start that everyone is complaining about.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 05:33 PM   #61
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronime View Post
Probably. Did the Live Status display show regeneration only whilst braking or also when coasting?

The marketing people like to use the term "regenerative braking" to describe the system whereby current is normally only drawn from the alternator to recharge the battery when the parasitic load on the engine does not affect fuel consumption, i.e. when braking.

We have a UK-spec mild hybrid. A separate integrated starter-generator charges the 48V battery under braking. Our Live Status display during regeneration is pretty much as shown in the photo in the post above, except that our car is FWD not AWD.
Yeah, it only comes on when you are breaking and not in sport mode. It seemed weird to me... again really unsure if it's actually doing something.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 04:33 AM   #62
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
My F30 328 had a "charging" indicator at the very end of the MPG gauge (see pic, the blue area to the left end of the MPG indicator below the tach, with the pic of the battery). I'm assuming this is the same - not true regenerative charge.
Same with my car. I believe I get a similar screen when coasting as the OP on my 430i on my iDrive screen and I am in efficient mode. As far as I can tell, it's basically just an indicator that the motor isn't under load; the car does not have any regenerative braking capacity. I assume it's the same for the US X1 xDrive28i, otherwise the car would surely be classified as a mild hybrid and qualify for any tax credits.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 06:04 AM   #63
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Same with my car. I believe I get a similar screen when coasting as the OP on my 430i on my iDrive screen and I am in efficient mode. As far as I can tell, it's basically just an indicator that the motor isn't under load; the car does not have any regenerative braking capacity. I assume it's the same for the US X1 xDrive28i, otherwise the car would surely be classified as a mild hybrid and qualify for any tax credits.
I believe that the older BMWs used to use put a little back into the normal battery when not under drive, they have done this for years as part of the efficient dynamics as it used to be called.

The new MHT cars now add to that having an additional 'mini' battery that can store some power to enhance the efficiency and smoothness of the car. Such as easy start, add 11bhp under certain loads and conditions, completely switch the engine off when coasting and more.

But I don't believe the US cars get this only certain other markets mostly EU based. Example being that in Auz for example the 18i is the same engine as in the UK where it's called the 20i but we get the MHT but in Auz they don't.

I've got it on my X3 M40 and it really does help with the stop start / efficiency of the engine.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 06:50 AM   #64
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
I believe that the older BMWs used to use put a little back into the normal battery when not under drive, they have done this for years as part of the efficient dynamics as it used to be called.

The new MHT cars now add to that having an additional 'mini' battery that can store some power to enhance the efficiency and smoothness of the car. Such as easy start, add 11bhp under certain loads and conditions, completely switch the engine off when coasting and more.

But I don't believe the US cars get this only certain other markets mostly EU based. Example being that in Auz for example the 18i is the same engine as in the UK where it's called the 20i but we get the MHT but in Auz they don't.

I've got it on my X3 M40 and it really does help with the stop start / efficiency of the engine.
Seems the US frequently gets the short end of the stick when it comes to options and features. The naming for different markets for the X1 is pretty confusing between markets. I'm not sure why they couldn't go with a more uniform global naming scheme. I do hope that maybe the LCI for the US will see an intro of a hybrid system, though my lease will probably end too early before the update the car.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #65
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Seems the US frequently gets the short end of the stick when it comes to options and features. The naming for different markets for the X1 is pretty confusing between markets.
With regard to the hybrid engines I think it comes down to competing on price in the market in the country concerned and that regulation around vehicle emissions in those markets.

The X1 in the USA and Australia seem to be "cheaper" than they are in the UK and Europe, they even have a 5 year warranty in Australia.

I think that Europe has stricter emissions regulations than say the USA and Australia and adding hybrid technology seems to be the way that BMW will meet their European emission quotas. The hybrid technology adds expense but these markets seem to stand the higher list prices.
      01-09-2023, 01:32 PM   #66
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

How's the noise insulation on highways?

Inside of the last gen X1s gets too noisy on highways. Especially wind noise.