BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) X1 Harmon Kardon Review

05-12-2023, 11:16 AM   #1
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

X1 Harmon Kardon Review

For those that are considering if the X1 HK system is any good well it's not amazing but pretty good it gets a B in the review by this person.

Seems pretty good, BMW never seems to want to go amazing unless its the higher end systems. Worth the upgrade for us anyway.

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2023, 11:53 AM   #2
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

For about 2 weeks, I've been pondering what to say about the Harmon Kardon system in my X1 xDrive28i. I am a borderline audiophile. This is my honest personal subjective opinion. Please don't flame me.(hence the reason I debated about posting my comments about this sytem) or flame me... what do I care? I'm just describing what I truly feel about the X1's Harmon Kardon system.

One thing that I neglected to try was the audio system during the test drive before I placed the order. I figured that it would be decent enough.

It pains me to say this right now, I personally cannot give it more than 2 stars(out of 5 stars) After playing audio from several different sources(SiriusXM, FM, Apple Music and most importantly uncompressed original WAV audio files from CDs), I can't believe how "mediocre" the system is.

I would be okay with it if the Harmon Kardon was just a standard non-premium system with no extra cost. However, since it is part of the Premium Package here in the US, there's no doubt that it wasn't free. It's just rolled into the US$4200 cost of the Premium Package.

For the most accurate sound, I listened to the uncompressed audio files from my CDs. I load them on a USB-C flash drive and the system plays them very well, with all the correct track/title info and artwork. Navigating music stored on the USB-C was fast and easy. Now the bad news. The sound is muffled and the bass is lackluster. I listen to a wide variety of music including classical, jazz, rock, opera, country, speech, talk, and even hip hop.(which means I love all sorts of music)

Even premium sound systems from 20 years ago sounded better than this. (examples: Lexus Nakamichi systems, Mercedes and Cadillac Bose systems) Not to mention that Harmon Kardon systems on other cars such as Volvo and Chrysler for 5 to 10 years ago sounded significantly better.

Sorry for the rant... but as with any car, nothing is ever 100% perfect. In the X1, I actually love 98% of the car... the Harmon Kardon system, unfortunately, is part of the 2% of the stuff on the X1 that feels subpar. Mercedes is also guilty of offering subpar "premium" Burmester audio systems at a higher cost on its current line up of GLA and GLB small SUVs in the US market. It's as if BMW and Mercedes are simply buying up the names and stamping them on the speaker grilles and charge more.

Having said, that, the X1 has a surprisingly quiet cabin, so at least the system doesn't have to strain itself to be heard.

Of course, this is great news! It means I will be able to have the best reason to seek out aftermarket speakers made for the X1, or replacing them with whatever speakers/subwoofers that I like.

Last edited by SpaceSilverX1; 05-12-2023 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 4
richiro270.00
evad3.00
      05-12-2023, 12:57 PM   #3
JupiterOne
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

With all audio equipment I have at home (both stationary and portable) - I have to agree HK implementation in X1 is mediocre. I am at AA via Wireless. Wired does not change the picture. Using Neutron and UAPP, switching from time to time from one to another to find the difference and tuning the apps, but seems there is no any significant improvement. It's just the head unit, amps and speakers are mediocre. No line input easily accessible to provide good source with lossless files, but to be honest do not want to experiment more and gave up. On other hand Linux which is basically our ID8 interferes here with audio tract and worsen things. If it could be excluded/bypassed and line input was designed bypassing OS, then we could have a hope or chance.
Interesting how Bowers & Wilkins implementation available in BMW as high end option for $5k+ competes here. If comparable to same crap for triple price with +1% win in SQ, than a pity story. But maybe it is just me too demandable for car audio.
On other hand, road noise and other circumstances won't allow to concentrate and enjoy SQ in full anyway and maybe for "passive" listening is 'ok' and what we should all expect.

Last edited by JupiterOne; 05-12-2023 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 01:07 PM   #4
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post
With all audio equipment I have at home (both stationary and portable) - I have to agree HK implementation in X1 is mediocre. I am at AA via Wireless. Wired does not change the picture. Using Neutron and UAPP, switching from time to time from one to another to find the difference and tuning the apps, but seems there is no any significant improvement. It's just the head unit, amps and speakers are mediocre. No line input easily accessible to provide good source with lossless files, but to be honest do not want to experiment more and gave up. On other hand Linux which is basically our ID8 interferes here with audio tract and worsen things. If it could be excluded/bypassed and line input was designed bypassing OS, then we could have a hope or chance.
Interesting how Bowers & Wilkins implementation available in BMW as high end option for $5k+ competes here. If comparable to same crap for triple price with +1% win in SQ, than a pity story. But maybe it is just me to demandable for car audio.
On other hand, road noise and other circumstances won't allow to concentrate and enjoy SQ in full anyway and maybe for "passive" listening is 'ok' and what we should all expect.

I have a fairly sizable CD collection of almost 900 CDs.(and I wonder where my money went since I was young)

All of them were meticulously ripped to WAV files 20 years ago... then when the iPod Classic came out, I ripped everything again into Apple Lossless Codec(ALAC).

The Harmon Kardon in the X1 plays ALAC loseless audio files using my USB-C flash drives just fine. The location of the two USB-C ports next to the cupholders is somewhat inconvenient, so I had to resort to using the tiniest Sandisk USB-C flash drive that I could find. Maybe I'll get a small 90-degree angle adapter/dongle so it can hang off the side.

I just did a little search and none of the usual companies that offer replacement speaker sets or amps for for BMWs have anything for the X1 yet. I'm sure I want to go all aftermarket and start everything from scratch.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2023, 01:30 PM   #5
JupiterOne
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
I have a fairly sizable CD collection of almost 900 CDs.(and I wonder where my money went since I was young)

All of them were meticulously ripped to WAV files 20 years ago... then when the iPod Classic came out, I ripped everything again into Apple Lossless Codec(ALAC).

The Harmon Kardon in the X1 plays ALAC loseless audio files using my USB-C flash drives just fine. The location of the two USB-C ports next to the cupholders is somewhat inconvenient, so I had to resort to using the tiniest Sandisk USB-C flash drive that I could find. Maybe I'll get a small 90-degree angle adapter/dongle so it can hang off the side.

I just did a little search and none of the usual companies that offer replacement speaker sets or amps for for BMWs have anything for the X1 yet. I'm sure I want to go all aftermarket and start everything from scratch.
I was also into finding small USB C drive with tiny height not to get it broken(or port broken which will be more sad) but seems no any available from reliable manufactures as of now.
Only Chinese stuff like below with joke capacity.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005358471560.html

So I released the issue until couple of months in the future until SanDisk or Samsung will engineer something.

Please keep us updated on your findings.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #6
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post
I was also into finding small USB C drive with tiny height not to get it broken(or port broken which will be more sad) but seems no any available from reliable manufactures as of now.
Only Chinese stuff like below with joke capacity.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005358471560.html

So I released the issue until couple of months in the future until SanDisk or Samsung will engineer something.

Please keep us updated on your findings.
I bought a very short (5cm / 2½ inches) USB C to standard USB socket lead. Then plugged my memory stick in to the socket and the USB C into the car socket. Then I simply pushed the stick and short cable downwards into the tray below and the stick is now out of sight and out of harms way.

Last edited by Duncs1961; 05-13-2023 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 02:32 PM   #7
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Whilst I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile, I do like quality sound and I'm happy with the quality of the HK system in my X1. I listen to a wide variety of music, everything from classical, jazz, classic rock to pop. I even enjoy D&B, EDM etc. The latter are quite demanding on bass and I find the HK bass is more than satisfactory.

That said, the first thing I did on day 1 of owning my X1 was to go through the HK sound settings and switch off the awful 'enhanced sound' option (I think it is supposed to be a pseudo surround sound experience) - the difference was then immediately apparent - the stereo sound stage and sound clarity improved almost an order if magnitude to my untrained ears - I will never switch on that option! (It is switched 'on' by default).

The only thing I am disappointed in is the lack of a graphic equaliser - there is just bass and treble sliders. My son's 8 year old bimmer with an HK system has a graphic equaliser, why not mine!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 04:32 PM   #8
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

The thing to consider is how much better it is than the std speaker system the HK is for £600. The basic sound system is awful so yes it’s worth £600 but not amazing.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2023, 04:58 PM   #9
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
The thing to consider is how much better it is than the std speaker system the HK is for £600. The basic sound system is awful so yes it’s worth £600 but not amazing.
I spent a fair amount on HiFi kit and when I tried the standard there is no way I'd cope with it. It might not be fantastic but as you say for £600 it's worth every penny to me, the wife, Meh she wasn't fussed but I was.

I don't find it great in the X3 sometime, others especially when its turned up a bit its not bad at all. Just when its quieter it's far to thin sounding.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 05:00 PM   #10
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I'm not an audiophile by any means (I actually have mild persistent tinnitus), but overall I'm satisfied with the HK system. I would prefer deeper and punchier bass, but it's decent and sounds better to me than the HiFi system in the f32 I had previously. This is an entry level BMW so I obviously would not expect stellar performance from the audio system for that price. I suspect Bavsound or another company will eventually start offering audio upgrades like speaker and underseat woofers, and uprated amplifiers for those who would like some better sound.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
MontyB11421.00
      05-12-2023, 05:06 PM   #11
beefgroovy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I was honestly surprised that the HK system was even still available. When I was looking at 2023 MINIs, everything was listed with the HK credit, and now isn’t even an available option for the 2024’s. My wife just bought a 2023 VW GTI, and also had the HK removed from her trim level. The base VW system is trash as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 07:12 PM   #12
silentpc
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:

I think Focal might have recently confirmed speakers that would be compatible with the U11 X1

https://focalaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/FOCAL-inside-Car-Bike-Compatibility-march-2023.pdf
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 04:06 AM   #13
OMandias_
Rep
Drives: BMW

While my X1 one is not due till next month I kind of knew the HK system wouldn't be anything special because the quoted power output wasn't very high (not that pure wattage is the most important factor in audio quality) but also there's no mention of a dedicated sub just 2 "bass speakers"

The thing that's a real downer is that HK do a sound system for the Volvo Xc40 which is in the same bracket of car as the X1 and people really like it a lot but it seems BMW likely decide how good a system can be depending on the model, 1 series/2series/X1/X2 can't have a system that's as good as the 3 series/x3 etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 05:19 AM   #14
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

I had the XC40 with HK and would say it was excellent. Disappointing BMW don't fit the equivalent.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 08:25 AM   #15
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Comparing similar spec models in the US, the Volvo comes out about $2,500 more expensive, though you do get heated seats and 19" wheels and it's a mild hybrid. I still think the X1 is a better overall value, though the XC40 is an impressive package. I only briefly considered the Volvo when shopping around, but I'm really not a fan of Volvo aesthetics, and I don't care for their infotainment interface. But a big factor for me was the dealer experience, and here where I live the Volvo dealer (both sales and service) are absolute shit. It's also why I didn't buy the VW, the dealers here are absolute trash.

But as far as the HK system goes, it's adequate, and if sound is the most important to you in a car that $2,500 difference will buy you a lot of upgrades for the X1.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 12:05 PM   #16
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 U11

Waiting on the delivery of my x1 with base audio

Did anyone figure out the location of the speakers in the stock setup?
Theres 7 speakers in total. 4 are in the doors, but not sure about the other 3?

Looking at the aftermarket speaker offerings for the U11 it looks like the speakers in the doors are either 4 or 5 inch and seem to be compatible with the last version of the X1 (2016-2022)??

Its not exactly clear as some sites offer the door and center speaker as 4 inch and 5 inch on the same "speakers that fit your vehicle" list. Does anyone know what fits the front doors and center for sure?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 01:00 PM   #17
ajsti24
Rep
Drives: U11, S209, 8Y-S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationMoon! View Post
Waiting on the delivery of my x1 with base audio

Did anyone figure out the location of the speakers in the stock setup?
Theres 7 speakers in total. 4 are in the doors, but not sure about the other 3?

Looking at the aftermarket speaker offerings for the U11 it looks like the speakers in the doors are either 4 or 5 inch and seem to be compatible with the last version of the X1 (2016-2022)??

Its not exactly clear as some sites offer the door and center speaker as 4 inch and 5 inch on the same "speakers that fit your vehicle" list. Does anyone know what fits the front doors and center for sure?
There are woofers under the front seats as well
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 06:22 PM   #18
A1eksey
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) xDrive 20d

I heard good reviews about Match bolt on upgrades, but not sure if it is available for U11.
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...e/adapterIndex
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 10:46 PM   #19
SchumiFan
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1 28i

HK sound system may not be awesome but quality is decent. It just doesn't have that punchy bass but in terms of clarity, is good. However, I've found that I like it better by tweaking the settings. First, bump up the bass (I did to +3). This only slightly improved the sound experience. Second one that I've only tried for a few weeks was to tweak the balance of sound output aka Fader. By default, it is set to the center of the car i.e. roughly above the rear air vents. If you shift the balance to be a bit closer to the gear shift pad, it enhances the experience, at least for the driver seat. I've felt my experience to be better after this tweak. It may work for some of the other folks too.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 10:49 AM   #20
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

I must agree with the OP. Also, I am no audio-phile, but I would like to think I have a very specific sense of hearing. (rattle noises in a car drive me up the wall).

Because this sound system was standard for the M35i, I just didn't have an option to select anything else.

It is good for what it is, but it does feel a lot to be desired. It runs very similar to that of a Bose system, No highs, no lows, almost completely all mid-range tones.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 05:29 AM   #21
evad
Rep
Drives: iX1 xdrive30 M-Sport

Quote:
It pains me to say this right now, I personally cannot give it more than 2 stars(out of 5 stars)

I would be okay with it if the Harmon Kardon was just a standard non-premium system with no extra cost. The Harmon Kardon system, unfortunately, is part of the 2% of the stuff on the X1 that feels subpar.
Spot on review. Couldn't agree more, well said.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 05:33 AM   #22
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 3.0e u11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
HK .... By default, it is set to the center of the car i.e. roughly above the rear air vents. If you shift the balance to be a bit closer to the gear shift pad, it enhances the experience, at least for the driver seat. I've felt my experience to be better after this tweak. It may work for some of the other folks too.
Can you screenshot your fader/balance setting?
TIA