BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) X1 Harmon Kardon Review

11-30-2023, 06:18 AM   #23
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
HK sound system may not be awesome but quality is decent. It just doesn't have that punchy bass but in terms of clarity, is good. However, I've found that I like it better by tweaking the settings. First, bump up the bass (I did to +3). This only slightly improved the sound experience. Second one that I've only tried for a few weeks was to tweak the balance of sound output aka Fader. By default, it is set to the center of the car i.e. roughly above the rear air vents. If you shift the balance to be a bit closer to the gear shift pad, it enhances the experience, at least for the driver seat. I've felt my experience to be better after this tweak. It may work for some of the other folks too.
I’ve had mine faded towards the front since March-ish and the bass bumped up as well and that’s what made a big difference to me as well.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2023, 09:22 AM   #24
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

Agreed, I always set up my car system with a reasonable forward fade and both bass and treble nudged up. At the end of the day we all have different hearing so playing with the settings to suit you and your music preference is advised. I think the HK system is 3/5, but is way better than the awful basic system and therefor worth £600. I do think there should be a better option in the £1500 range though.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 11:21 AM   #25
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
I must agree with the OP. Also, I am no audio-phile, but I would like to think I have a very specific sense of hearing. (rattle noises in a car drive me up the wall).

Because this sound system was standard for the M35i, I just didn't have an option to select anything else.

It is good for what it is, but it does feel a lot to be desired. It runs very similar to that of a Bose system, No highs, no lows, almost completely all mid-range tones.
somehow this random piece of music sounded funky when played in my X1's HK system... (via CarPlay)

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=pS...AQB0Exqq9zN1cM

https://open.spotify.com/track/6YzWc...3e631f680b4d0e
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #26
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I think the X1 HK is pretty good but certainly not outstanding better than a 2/5 I think a 3.5/5 for me. Each to their own it sounds crisp and better the higher it goes it does seem to have loosened up a bit. Adding more bass is definitely the way to go for me it doesn’t need any more treble it would me tinnitus.

The X3 setup is very similar needs to be turned up to high for me before it really gets going and it should be better but as stated above the standard setup is very poor so if you like music and like a more premium sound it’s a no brainer albeit not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:23 PM   #27
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 U11

Sadly the X1 I'm getting has the base audio but everything else we wanted .... So we took it.
Probably 2 weeks out. I listen to a lot of music and hearing about how lousy the base unit is has me kinda nervous. I'd thought the system in our first Gen X1 was a base system and sounded pretty good. But looking at it tonight I realize it has tweeters in the door pillars and is probably much better than the New X1.

Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to fix it? Seems like there are some door kits but it's impossible to evaluate them or find any reviews
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 08:35 AM   #28
Kosymodo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX1 xDrive30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationMoon! View Post
Sadly the X1 I'm getting has the base audio but everything else we wanted .... So we took it.
Probably 2 weeks out. I listen to a lot of music and hearing about how lousy the base unit is has me kinda nervous. I'd thought the system in our first Gen X1 was a base system and sounded pretty good. But looking at it tonight I realize it has tweeters in the door pillars and is probably much better than the New X1.

Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to fix it? Seems like there are some door kits but it's impossible to evaluate them or find any reviews
The base unit isn't lousy IMO...OK, so it's not premium sound, but it's far from lousy. Unless you're listening to lossless sources, I don't really see the point in the premium HK offering. Base unit is certainly fine for listening to normal radio etc
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 11:32 AM   #29
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosymodo View Post
The base unit isn't lousy IMO...OK, so it's not premium sound, but it's far from lousy. Unless you're listening to lossless sources, I don't really see the point in the premium HK offering. Base unit is certainly fine for listening to normal radio etc
Thanks Kosy

With the lack of tweeters and maybe the dash speakers I'm pretty sure it'll be making me wish for better. Back in the day I installed some pretty nice systems in my cars myself.

I didn't think that with everything as integrated as it is today I'd be able to do more than me speakers. But with the absence of mounts in places, combined with the lack of cabling to get the signal to new speakers I'm wondering if I messed up. I had thought throwing 1500 into modifying the base system would let me make it better than the HK. Now I'm pretty sure that's not going to be possible. There's a real lack of options and information on this new X1

As an aside, I have a great system at home (not expensive but amazing none the less) and I really can't tell the difference between FLAC recordings and hi bit rate mp3s. If the recording is good, the music sounds great to me
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:22 PM   #30
SeaSkiAndMe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1 xDrive28i

X1 base model stereo - meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
One thing that I neglected to try was the audio system during the test drive before I placed the order. I figured that it would be decent enough.

It pains me to say this right now, I personally cannot give it more than 2 stars(out of 5 stars) After playing audio from several different sources(SiriusXM, FM, Apple Music and most importantly uncompressed original WAV audio files from CDs), I can't believe how "mediocre" the system is.
Bought my X1 last week, and SAME! I should have really spent more time listening to the audio. Even worse for me, I have the base model audio system w 7 speakers. It literally sounds like I'm "sitting" on the music - there is no sound up near my ears. Another way to describe it is imagine standing in a pool of water, the water comes about waist high. All of the sound (in my metaphor, the "water") is swirling around at that waist level. And mid-range sounds are rather muffled-sounding.

If I crank the volume too high, a lot of distortion on the speakers. As others have noted, only a very basic bass and treble slider function, no true equalizer. I've looked at aftermarket products already, but from what I can tell, only replacement subwoofers and a new amp are what I can install?

Oof, this is a problem I have to live with, I guess, until more aftermarket products become available.

And I agree with others that the cabin is pretty quiet, so at least the droopy speakers aren't fighting against road noise.

I was toying with the idea of keeping some Bose bluetooth speakers in the car at least for jamming tunes on longer drives.

I'm visiting my dealer in a few days for some services I'm having done, and my salesperson offered to look at it for me, but after pretty extensive research on my part, I think it's a lost cause.

Last edited by SeaSkiAndMe; 12-02-2023 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:48 PM   #31
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkiAndMe View Post
Bought my X1 last week, and SAME! I should have really spent more time listening to the audio. Even worse for me, I have the base model audio system w 7 speakers. It literally sounds like I'm "sitting" on the music - there is no sound up near my ears. Another way to describe it is imagine standing in a pool of water, the water comes about waist high. All of the sound (in my metaphor, the "water") is swirling around at that waist level. And mid-range sounds are rather muffled-sounding.

If I crank the volume too high, a lot of distortion on the speakers. As others have noted, only a very basic bass and treble slider function, no true equalizer. I've looked at aftermarket products already, but from what I can tell, only replacement subwoofers and a new amp are what I can install?

Oof, this is a problem I have to live with, I guess, until more aftermarket products become available.

And I agree, with others that the cabin is pretty quiet, so at least the droopy speakers aren't fighting against road noise.

I was toying with the idea of keeping some Bose bluetooth speakers in the car at least for jamming tunes on longer drives.

I'm visiting my dealer in a few days for some services I'm having done, and my salesperson offered to look at it for me, but after pretty extensive research on my part, I think it's a lost cause.
I made those comments more than 6 months ago. Since then, I have learned to live with it.

I play music files(or streaming music) that sound good in the HK system. I know what its limitations are and adjust my taste accordingly. It's the same way I deal with the quirky DCT transmission. Many people find it lagging and slow. However, I've learned to drive based on how I know it's going to behave. Is it the ideal solution? maybe not..... but I've been a cat owner all my life, so it's probably easier to adapt to the cat's wishes and enjoy their company. (otherwise, I would have been a dog owners because most dogs can be easily trained)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 04:12 PM   #32
SeaSkiAndMe
Private
United_States
Rep

SpaceSilver.X1

Yes, not going to dump the vehicle bc I'm disappointed in the stereo. Background: I ended up buying this X1 to replace a Buick SUV with three cracked engine components from Aug-Nov this year, so all in all, I'd rather have a solid drive train!

I do listen to a terrific jazz radio station, so newer recordings of certain types of instruments I notice a difference from my previous vehicle, which had a pretty decent Bose sound system.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 05:40 PM   #33
SeaSkiAndMe
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
Agreed, I always set up my car system with a reasonable forward fade and both bass and treble nudged up.
I was thinking about all the comments on this thread when I took the car out this evening. I had messed around w the bass and treble but this time nudged the fade up front a bit more and I preferred that. Thanks for sharing that idea!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 08:06 PM   #34
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking about all the comments on this thread when I took the car out this evening. I had messed around w the bass and treble but this time nudged the fade up front a bit more and I preferred that. Thanks for sharing that idea!
I've yet to hear a new X1 radio but I've read a few comments suggesting to turn off the spatial processing.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 08:18 PM   #35
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationMoon! View Post
I've yet to hear a new X1 radio but I've read a few comments suggesting to turn off the spatial processing.
That's what I did during the first couple of months... then I turned it back on. My ears have gotten used to it in the last 4 or 5 months.

I used CarPlay and for some strange reason, the music sounds noticeably better via YouTube Music. When I play the same exact piece of music via Apple Music, it seems flatter somehow.

Of course, the best sound quality is achieved when I play lossless music using USB sticks.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 08:41 PM   #36
SeaSkiAndMe
Private
United_States
Rep

After further review, someone helped me determine it's not just meh speakers; the stock amp is too low wattage to deliver much without distortion at higher volume. A specific aftermarket (not OEM) amp and speaker package was recommended to me yesterday by someone knowledgeable about the model. However the package for my model isn't available yet. It will be pricey (>$3k) so just as well - I'll treat myself for my May birthday

After thinking about it, I've put aftermarket sound systems (or at least, new speakers) in quite a few of my vehicles over the years, so I'm at peace with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 08:10 AM   #37
SenmaS
Rep
Drives: BMW

FYI the 674 HK system found in the X1 and X4 is based off of just a RAM module. Needless to say it will be underpowered, just like the current 676 hifi cars.

There is no separate "booster" (2ch amp for the under seat woofers) as found in the 688 HK systems known from the G20 3-Series, G05 X5 or even G29 Z4.
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2023, 10:20 AM   #38
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not looking for ground thumping volume, just fidelity. A while ago I switched out my old Sony ESS class A integrated amp, for a tiny new Class D amp.
At similar volumes driving the same speakers, the Sony Drew 80 Watts while the SMSL was drawing about 4 Watts. I was really surprised.

I'm certain that the amps in new cars are certainly Class D. What I'm getting at, is that it really takes very little power to drive efficient speakers at reasonable volumes.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 02:02 PM   #39
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
After further review, someone helped me determine it's not just meh speakers; the stock amp is too low wattage to deliver much without distortion at higher volume. A specific aftermarket (not OEM) amp and speaker package was recommended to me yesterday by someone knowledgeable about the model. However the package for my model isn't available yet. It will be pricey (>$3k) so just as well - I'll treat myself for my May birthday

After thinking about it, I've put aftermarket sound systems (or at least, new speakers) in quite a few of my vehicles over the years, so I'm at peace with it.
look into Morell(not sure about the spelling) speakers for BMW. They are pricey but are custom made to replace BMW speakers. A former co-worker had them installed and they were almost $1000 just for the front pair. He didn't change anything else, but the speakers alone made the sound really nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #40
SeaSkiAndMe
Private
United_States
Rep

SpaceSilver.X1

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 02:16 PM   #41
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
SpaceSilver.X1

Thanks!
found a thread about a BMW M2 owner using the same Morel speakers and more.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2034121

although...if I were to do it, I probably would go with a kit like this one. (which I was planning to do on my X1, until I decided to trade my 2nd car for a 530i, so I'm saving the money for that one)
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...lifier-for-bmw

Last edited by SpaceSilver.X1; 12-07-2023 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 05:01 PM   #42
SeaSkiAndMe
Private
United_States
Rep

I had been looking at that kit, also! But, let's just say the very informed individual who recommended a kit to me - it was a different brand that now I cannot recall the brand name.

IF that brand doesn't come up with an amp & speaker kit to fit my car by the Spring, I will likely go with the Bimmertech one you linked to.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 08:17 PM   #43
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
I had been looking at that kit, also! But, let's just say the very informed individual who recommended a kit to me - it was a different brand that now I cannot recall the brand name.

IF that brand doesn't come up with an amp & speaker kit to fit my car by the Spring, I will likely go with the Bimmertech one you linked to.
while I love good sound, I don't really think I'll be spending almost $3000 to upgrade my current HK system.(which is good enough) I can think of 10 different ways to spend $3000... I've always wanted a nice pair of Sennheiser headphones and amp.... I would rather get that (not for driving, of course) nice headphones will easily last 10 to 15 years with care.

$3700 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Op...dp/B0CFZKLNZ1/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-09-2023, 04:06 AM   #44
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

Agreed, but i guess it depends how much time you spend in your car. If i was doing 30,000 miles a year instead of 7000 then i may be willng to spend some serious money on my ICE due to the hours spent listening to music on the move. However as it is I would rather put more money into some NAIM separates for the home 🤓
Appreciate 0