BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 2023 X1 Engine Auto Stop/Start

12-15-2022, 06:40 AM   #23
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
On my 2020 4-series, the hesitation off the line from a stop was very noticeable to me and was more of a hindrance than a convenience, so I coded it out after a week of driving the car. If the X1 is not that noticeable I may not need to disable it. I'm am curious though, you say it adds power. How does it do this?
I have been finding that the hesitation off the line in the X1 is more prominent than in my F30 328 (which I found minimal); Sport Mode seems to diminish it.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2022, 10:04 AM   #24
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
On my 2020 4-series, the hesitation off the line from a stop was very noticeable to me and was more of a hindrance than a convenience, so I coded it out after a week of driving the car. If the X1 is not that noticeable I may not need to disable it. I'm am curious though, you say it adds power. How does it do this?
I've got the later stop start on the X3 M40 and it really is seamless for me anyway. I can lift my foot and the car is into life in a fraction of a second with for me no delay at all.

As to how does the new solution add power, the mild hybrid tech is the starter motor. So when you get the 11bhp it's basically added from that gear into the engine the same solution that kicks the car into life. It also recovers some energy under breaking and also can be seen to disengaged and switch the engine off completely in some circumstances. However if it sense certain things then it automatically kicks back into life. If you didn't look down and see the revs drop to 0 then you would hardly know it's happening most of the time. Does a good job to eke out a few extra miles out of every tank. It can also kill the engine when you are coming to a stop and rolling in some conditions.

But the starter element compared to the kick and wobble of old, just isn't there in the latest system its pretty much seamless. Honestly unless you want a powered on the brakes start or the car is still heating or cooling the engine being on when stopped almost becomes weird not the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #25
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

I'm hoping that the X1 stop/start feature is as seamless as the one in my hybrid. The engine in the hybrid constantly cycles off and on depending on conditions, but it is never noticeable. No shudder, no vibration, no hesitation like in earlier cars I owned. What I don't like about the hybrid is the need for the engine to generate heat for the cabin, and if I'm driving downhill for a lengthy period the engine is off and no heat comes into the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 04:33 AM   #26
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
I've got the later stop start on the X3 M40 and it really is seamless for me anyway. I can lift my foot and the car is into life in a fraction of a second with for me no delay at all.

As to how does the new solution add power, the mild hybrid tech is the starter motor. So when you get the 11bhp it's basically added from that gear into the engine the same solution that kicks the car into life. It also recovers some energy under breaking and also can be seen to disengaged and switch the engine off completely in some circumstances. However if it sense certain things then it automatically kicks back into life. If you didn't look down and see the revs drop to 0 then you would hardly know it's happening most of the time. Does a good job to eke out a few extra miles out of every tank. It can also kill the engine when you are coming to a stop and rolling in some conditions.

But the starter element compared to the kick and wobble of old, just isn't there in the latest system its pretty much seamless. Honestly unless you want a powered on the brakes start or the car is still heating or cooling the engine being on when stopped almost becomes weird not the other way around.
I think that might be an everywhere except the US thing for the X1, unfortunately. As far as I can tell our 2 liter motor is a conventional combustion motor with no mild hybrid capability at all, so no power boost for us.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 09:14 AM   #27
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

My wife hates the stop/start. All our previous bmw's had the ability to turn it off. I have bimmercode but don't see anything in there yet for the U11, more specifically to turn this feature off.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #28
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
My wife hates the stop/start. All our previous bmw's had the ability to turn it off. I have bimmercode but don't see anything in there yet for the U11, more specifically to turn this feature off.
Does anyone have a G20 3-Series? How do you defeat the stop/start in that car? The ignition button is on the console there, and I don't remember there being a stop/start off hard button there.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 10:52 AM   #29
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

You should wait and give it a try before making a judgement, I really don't notice it in the new X1 at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #30
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
I think that might be an everywhere except the US thing for the X1, unfortunately. As far as I can tell our 2 liter motor is a conventional combustion motor with no mild hybrid capability at all, so no power boost for us.
Yikes really, that is rubbish then. It’s this part that gives the seemless feel. Lifting the brake it fires into action in less time than I can accelerate away unless I’m seriously on it.

Why would they do that, how weird. Well in the UK market it seems nearly all the engines come with it and it genuinely makes the stop start a none issue almost all the time.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2022, 05:27 AM   #31
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Yikes really, that is rubbish then. It’s this part that gives the seemless feel. Lifting the brake it fires into action in less time than I can accelerate away unless I’m seriously on it.

Why would they do that, how weird. Well in the UK market it seems nearly all the engines come with it and it genuinely makes the stop start a none issue almost all the time.
The US market generally gets the short end of the stick when it comes to options and choices of powertrains. I would have loved to have the choice of a hybrid. From what I've read previously (and not sure if it's true, but makes sense), the higher ups in BMW NA make the decisions of what features to offer in the North American Market based on what they think is the best for our market.

I have yet to actually test drive the X1, so I'm not sure how noticeable it is to me, but hopefully it's either something I can live with or they figure out how to code it out on iDrive 8.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 06:00 AM   #32
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
The US market generally gets the short end of the stick when it comes to options and choices of powertrains. I would have loved to have the choice of a hybrid. From what I've read previously (and not sure if it's true, but makes sense), the higher ups in BMW NA make the decisions of what features to offer in the North American Market based on what they think is the best for our market.

I have yet to actually test drive the X1, so I'm not sure how noticeable it is to me, but hopefully it's either something I can live with or they figure out how to code it out on iDrive 8.
the more I think about it, the more I think that what I experience was not related to the stop and start function. based on what I've read so far, it is possibly caused by the dual-clutch transmission.(not that there's a defect or malfunction, but that's just how it behaves, like quite a few other DCT on other brands)

I'll be be going near the BMW dealer next Tuesday... (they are 2+ hours away from me)... if I have time, I'll stop by and take another test drive of their demo X1 to confirm. Hope the salesman doesn't say "get out of here, you've already driven this thing 3 times, we'll have to start charging you after the 4th test drive" although since my family now has two identical X1 on order with him, he'll look the other way?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 06:05 AM   #33
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
the more I think about it, the more I think that what I experience was not related to the stop and start function. based on what I've read so far, it is possibly caused by the dual-clutch transmission.(not that there's a defect or malfunction, but that's just how it behaves, like quite a few other DCT on other brands)

I'll be be going near the BMW dealer next Tuesday... (they are 2+ hours away from me)... if I have time, I'll stop by and take another test drive of their demo X1 to confirm. Hope the salesman doesn't say "get out of here, you've already driven this thing 3 times, we'll have to start charging you after the 4th test drive" although since my family now has two identical X1 on order with him, he'll look the other way?
Only way to know for sure is to disable the auto start/stop function and take it for a drive and see if it still does it. The DCT in the X1 is a wet clutch system, so it should at least be smoother than the older dry clutch types.

My 4 series with the 8 speed automatic has a noticeable delay when mashing the pedal from a dead stop, which is annoying but I've learned to deal with it for the most part. I miss driving manual though, to me it's always offered the best acceleration and response from a dead stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 01:07 PM   #34
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=31122024