BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Driver Assist Professional on X1 versus Other Cars- Anyone have 2 cars with it?

08-12-2024, 09:47 PM   #1
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

Driver Assist Professional on X1 versus Other Cars- Anyone have 2 cars with it?

I have posted a bit on this previously. I own a 23 Post LCI 5 series with Driver Assistance Pro. It works very well completely centered on cruise control (Pro activated). When in town (No cruise), the system does not keep you perfectly centered as the system is using different data and cameras (Off Cruise). Question: My 5 series when in town will still "Lane Keep Assist" pretty well (Pushes me back into the lane) and I believe there is a sensitivity setting also. When I test drove a new X1 the same package did not work well (All settings on) when NOT on cruise (In town). It almost felt like it was not working. On the highway it worked the same as my 5 series (Centered). Does anyone have an X1 plus another car with Driver Assist Professional where they have noticed this? Did BMW skimp a bit on the X1 compared to the other models? The cameras on the X1 in the grill are small compared to the big ones on the older and current 5 series.. How good does the X1 do while in town, not on cruise (DAP not fully activated)?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2024, 04:01 AM   #2
MMandov
Private
Rep
Drives: iX1 eDrive20

The lane departure warning and assist is active from a certain minimum speed, depending on the country. In my case its above 50-60 km/h. There are some settings that you can play with. In one of my previous cars it was on from 20-30 km/h and was super annoying.
As for the auto-pilot, if you have the Pro, then it can be used at any speed, including stop and go, with lane keeping.

I'm personally very impressed by the Pro Assist and use it a lot. For the 9 months I have the car, it has improved its capabilities dramatically and it seems not related to the major ID9 updates. Some examples:
- It was unusable for twisty mountain roads, which it now handles almost perfectly, especially if you follow another car or your country supports the feature to decrease speed for curves (not the case in Bulgaria).
- automatic lane changes were very "robotic" and sharp, but now are much smoother.
- even if considered a different feature, Auto parking is now able to parallel park in much tighter spots. In my most recent experiment, it parked with 8-9 sets of back-forth maneuvers. In the past it only detected relatively big spots, where it can park with 3-4 maneuvers.

Last edited by MMandov; 08-13-2024 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2024, 05:10 AM   #3
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep

I agree the Professional package got decent. In the 5 series it was in the LCI update in 21 or 22 (My 5 is a 23). I actually like the fact on my car, even at low speed in town 10-20 MPH, the car still keeps lane without the cruise control of DAP activated. It's an extra safety feature that like. Sure, it's not lane centering like you get on the highway or with DAP activated but it''s better than nothing. I can activate cruise with DAP at any speed on my 5 series with no minimum. I think the X1 is different. Also, I activated all features on my test drive of the X1 and it only occasionally worked if the cruise was off (My 5 seems to be a bit more of a watchdog (Good and bad depending on the person).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 05:50 AM   #4
richiro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
I agree the Professional package got decent. In the 5 series it was in the LCI update in 21 or 22 (My 5 is a 23). I actually like the fact on my car, even at low speed in town 10-20 MPH, the car still keeps lane without the cruise control of DAP activated. It's an extra safety feature that like. Sure, it's not lane centering like you get on the highway or with DAP activated but it''s better than nothing. I can activate cruise with DAP at any speed on my 5 series with no minimum. I think the X1 is different. Also, I activated all features on my test drive of the X1 and it only occasionally worked if the cruise was off (My 5 seems to be a bit more of a watchdog (Good and bad depending on the person).
Adaptive cruise works at any speed even in stop and go, lane assist/steering only works at speeds above 40mph is my understanding for DAP
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 06:34 AM   #5
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep

You might be right on that one. But, on the DAP with the 5 series, the lane assist is always on, even if not on cruise (Slower speeds), edging you back into a lane if you get too close to the lines. If you engage cruise, you will get advanced lane assistance (Centered). The cruise control (Advanced lane assist) works at any speed on my 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 07:15 AM   #6
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2024, Mustang MACH 1

I may be wrong here, but the X1 may be using cameras and higher end models use the radar system to support it...at least that's what I heard my dealer mention once. This is apparently why the X1 will have significantly more issues with keeping you in lane during the rain.

So if true, they definitelly skimped a bit.

I drive the LCI X6M and now sometimes also my wife's new X1 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 09:37 PM   #7
richiro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscross View Post
I may be wrong here, but the X1 may be using cameras and higher end models use the radar system to support it...at least that's what I heard my dealer mention once. This is apparently why the X1 will have significantly more issues with keeping you in lane during the rain.

So if true, they definitelly skimped a bit.

I drive the LCI X6M and now sometimes also my wife's new X1 M35i.
I dont think the X1 uses cameras during adaptive cruise, that’s radar. The big glossy box in the center of the grill, that’s the sensor.

The lane assist is done with cameras in the windshield.

Centering is done with a combo of cameras and radar, I’m not too sure what the 5 series is equipped with as I dont own one and never researched the features.

I feel like I remember being able to still use lane assist (warning that pulls you back into lane) during any speed, but I also dont really remember if it was the X1 or the X3 loaner I had for so long.

Will try in the morning otw work.
Appreciate 2
FZI89625.50
      08-28-2024, 03:15 AM   #8
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. It would be exciting to see if the high-end X6M and the X1 have any differences in the system's ability. My 5 series does not have issues in the rain. I think Mercedes systems have rain sensors that de-activate auto cruise when it's wet outside.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 06:40 AM   #9
markronnie
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [9.00]
I can’t speak of other BMW’s but I do have a 2019 Acura RDX with advance cruise control that maintains distance & speed and lane departure warning I recall the first time I drove during a snow storm that a message lit up that cruise control was not operational. It never dawned on me that snow covered the cameras/sensors & would cause system to stop working.

I’ve never had an issue during light rain, though. Then again it’s not a good idea to use the tech during severe inclement weather.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 09:51 PM   #10
richiro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
You might be right on that one. But, on the DAP with the 5 series, the lane assist is always on, even if not on cruise (Slower speeds), edging you back into a lane if you get too close to the lines. If you engage cruise, you will get advanced lane assistance (Centered). The cruise control (Advanced lane assist) works at any speed on my 5 series.
At least the times I tried today under 40, the car did not recanted itself, nor let ,e know I drifted into another lane.

The disclaimer on the menu states the feature works at >40MPH.

I now recall it being the X3 doing this because I couldn’t find the menu to disable it
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 06:28 AM   #11
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
Adaptive cruise works at any speed even in stop and go, lane assist/steering only works at speeds above 40mph is my understanding for DAP
This isn't the case in the UK. My wife's iX1 will stay in lane when crawling in a traffic jam and then up to and beyond 40mph. Works just as well as my previous 2020 M340i and current i4 M50.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 06:47 AM   #12
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep

SRBS73- So no complaints on the system of the X1? That is good to know. from 0-40 normal driving (Not traffic jam) you find it does a pretty good job at holding lane when NOT in cruise control mode? Any issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 06:58 AM   #13
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

No, I’ve not got any complaints. Road markings in the UK are very poor and it still does a reasonable job, especially if you are following traffic.
Appreciate 0