BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Help with interior color and trim on new X1

09-04-2024, 10:49 PM   #1
DiscoDude
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda '03 Accord

Help with interior color and trim on new X1

Hey guys--

So I've ordered my new 2025 X1 - but I still have a week to make changes before it goes into production. Right now I went for the Phytonic Blue with the Black Perforated interior and the Aluminum Mesh Effect Trim.

I'm looking for some feedback on two things: the interior color and the trim (as I do like my exterior paint color.)

The guy at the dealership told me that black interior shows less marks, spills, etc than the Oyster interior (makes sense.) But I'm wondering what people's experience is with Oyster and stains, etc. My current car has had black leather seats so I'm used to black inside. I'm also wondering if Oyster might complement an outer blue color better than black.

And, I'm wondering about the Aluminum Mesh Effect trim. My options are that, Black High Gloss or the Eucalyptus Fine Wood. I was thinking that if the interior was black, black trim might be TOO much black so I opted for the Aluminum for a bit of silver inside. The wood is a bit interesting but I'm not sure how good it looks.

Can people here tell me their experience of either Black or Oyster interior - and their matching trim? I have just a little time to make changes (or not)!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 11:03 PM   #2
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDude View Post
Hey guys—

So I've ordered my new 2025 X1 - but I still have a week to make changes before it goes into production. Right now I went for the Phytonic Blue with the Black Perforated interior and the Aluminum Mesh Effect Trim.

I'm looking for some feedback on two things: the interior color and the trim (as I do like my exterior paint color.)

The guy at the dealership told me that black interior shows less marks, spills, etc than the Oyster interior (makes sense.) But I'm wondering what people's experience is with Oyster and stains, etc. My current car has had black leather seats so I'm used to black inside. I'm also wondering if Oyster might complement an outer blue color better than black.

And, I'm wondering about the Aluminum Mesh Effect trim. My options are that, Black High Gloss or the Eucalyptus Fine Wood. I was thinking that if the interior was black, black trim might be TOO much black so I opted for the Aluminum for a bit of silver inside. The wood is a bit interesting but I'm not sure how good it looks.

Can people here tell me their experience of either Black or Oyster interior - and their matching trim? I have just a little time to make changes (or not)!
You will get many different answers as this is purely down to personal taste.

For me, black interior with aluminium mesh effect. Why is go with the aluminium:
  • Easy to clean and stays clean for a long time
  • Does not scratch easily (unlike piano black)
  • Is not made from open pore wood (unlike the eucalyptus), which means you can use the any interior trim cleaner to clean it. With open pore wood, you need to be careful what cleaner you use.
  • Aluminium looks much better with black interior
  • If you opt for oyster interior, then eucalyptus is the way as it complements the more elegant look you get with oyster compared to the sporty look you get with the black interior
Appreciate 2
      09-04-2024, 11:56 PM   #3
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

I personally think that oyster + wood trim can look very, very nice.

posted by someone in post# 139 of this thread
https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=139

Appreciate 1
      09-05-2024, 12:35 PM   #4
J-RO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Aluminum Mesh Effect trim with Oyster interior.
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2024, 03:29 PM   #5
DiscoDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
You will get many different answers as this is purely down to personal taste.

For me, black interior with aluminium mesh effect. Why is go with the aluminium:
  • Easy to clean and stays clean for a long time
  • Does not scratch easily (unlike piano black)
  • Is not made from open pore wood (unlike the eucalyptus), which means you can use the any interior trim cleaner to clean it. With open pore wood, you need to be careful what cleaner you use.
  • Aluminium looks much better with black interior
  • If you opt for oyster interior, then eucalyptus is the way as it complements the more elegant look you get with oyster compared to the sporty look you get with the black interior
Thanks for the input! Does the piano black then scratch more easily for the trim? I'm wondering how much dirt or debris Oyster shows. Do you happen to have a black interior with the aluminum mesh trim? If so, do you have a pic of it?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 04:05 PM   #6
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Does the piano black then scratch more easily for the trim? I'm wondering how much dirt or debris Oyster shows. Do you happen to have a black interior with the aluminum mesh trim? If so, do you have a pic of it?
the piano black is a fingerprint magnet. especially under the center screen where one usually rests his/her fingers or palm while making selection.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2024, 04:46 PM   #7
BKPHX1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 xDrive28i

Oyster and eucalyptus for me! I just wanted a brighter interior. And the eucalyptus is a matte finish, so no fingerprints. The wood looks great!
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2024, 05:35 PM   #8
markronnie
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [9.00]
Years ago I had a VW with light tan leather. Within a month I began noticing my blue jeans were making the seats slightly blue. I had to clean them often to get it back to the original tan color. I was not a happy camper.

My other vehicle now is a 2019 Acura RDX with “Parchment” Moreno leather & open pore wood with a red exterior. The leather is even lighter in color than my old VW. When I was considering the interior color the sales person told me he had the Parchment color on his & he wears jeans all the time. He had me look at his in the lot! I was surprised how stellar his interior looked. He said Acura puts some kind of finish on the leather which keeps it clean. Besides from cleaning the seats maybe twice a year, I’ve never seen my blue jeans rub off on them.

Moral is get what you like & enjoy.
Remember the X1’s don’t have leather in the USA. The material is EZ to clean.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2024, 07:25 PM   #9
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I'm personally not a fan of light colored interiors, though I can appreciate the look. I went with the piano black trim and black interior. In retrospect, I should've gone with the aluminum mesh effect trim due solely to the fact that the piano black trim picks up fingerprints like no other. It's not a dealbreaker for me, as I wipe it down every few days on high visibility areas with a microfiber I keep in the door pocket, but it is something to consider.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2024, 08:01 PM   #10
jlf599
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Hey guys--

This is the exact combination I got and I have ZERO regrets. I considered the Oyster as it looks really good but in the end I suspected being spill/danger prone as I am, that black was a better choice for me.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2024, 12:01 AM   #11
Fish Fingers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

I had an Audi once with Silver Nappa leather. Despite my best efforts the drivers seat very quickly started looking awful - ingrained dirt look. Even the valeter couldn't improve it.

Ever since then I have avoided light coloured seats.

Coincidentally it also had piano black trim and that suffered with fingerprints.

Personally, I would stick with your original choice OP.
That said, if I definitely knew the seats wouldn't stain, then a lighter interior is a bit less dull.
I also imagine Sensatec/veganza? is easier to maintain than leather.

Last edited by Fish Fingers; 09-06-2024 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 12:25 AM   #12
PedalFasterDummy
Rep
Drives: X1

Black with aluminum mesh. Easy to clean and stays nice. I ride mountainbikes and don't want to have to worry everytime I get in after a ride.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 12:26 AM   #13
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pics attached

But just in case you’re not aware, the M Sport models have a different aluminium trim to the X Line models. For X line its Aluminium mesh, for M Sport its aluminium hexacube.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 12:32 AM   #14
DiscoDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all for your replies (and pictures!) I'm feeling a bit better about the black interior with aluminum mesh. For some reason I was thinking that for a darker colored paint job (like phytonic blue) - a lighter color inside would be better. And vice versa - a lighter color painted job would be better with a darker interior. I think I just made this up in my head lol.

I'm gonna hop over to the dealership one more time, walk around and check out the interiors. As I said, I really appreciate the people here and this site - I've been thinking about all of these things for months and have finally pulled the trigger. I think I'll be happy with whatever I would get but I try to do my best with the choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 12:35 AM   #15
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks all for your replies (and pictures!) I'm feeling a bit better about the black interior with aluminum mesh. For some reason I was thinking that for a darker colored paint job (like phytonic blue) - a lighter color inside would be better. And vice versa - a lighter color painted job would be better with a darker interior. I think I just made this up in my head lol.

I'm gonna hop over to the dealership one more time, walk around and check out the interiors. As I said, I really appreciate the people here and this site - I've been thinking about all of these things for months and have finally pulled the trigger. I think I'll be happy with whatever I would get but I try to do my best with the choice.
Your combo of Photonic blue, black interior, and aluminium mesh will look great! Nothing to worry about!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 12:41 AM   #16
Fish Fingers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
Your combo of Photonic blue, black interior, and aluminium mesh will look great! Nothing to worry about!
Agree.

One other point. Because the X1 is an SUV it has plenty of glass / natural light.
So black interior is not an issue with it being too dark inside.

It's more of an issue in coupe/sports cars with very small windows (particularly in the back) and a low roofline, when black makes it feel dull / cramped and then needs a pano roof.

Last edited by Fish Fingers; 09-06-2024 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
FZI89625.50
      09-06-2024, 01:38 AM   #17
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Fingers View Post
Agree.

One other point. Because the X1 is an SUV it has plenty of glass / natural light.
So black interior is not an issue with it being too dark inside.
unless window tint film was applied to all of the windows, including front/rear door windows, rear window, panoramic roof glass, plus the entire front windshield
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 04:28 AM   #18
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCover View Post
unless window tint film was applied to all of the windows, including front/rear door windows, rear window, panoramic roof glass, plus the entire front windshield
I have tint on every single pane of glass on the car and don't find it too dark. But then again I also live in an area where we have no shortage of strong sunlight.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 09:19 AM   #19
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I have tint on every single pane of glass on the car and don't find it too dark. But then again I also live in an area where we have no shortage of strong sunlight.
I have 15% XPEL Plus(or whatever their most expensive film is called) on all of the glass.(door, rear, roof) The windshield has 50%.

Thanks to a very liberal Democrat-controlled legislature and government, they stopped enforcing tint laws as a primary. They also removed tint inspection as part of the yearly state vehicle inspection. The only way to get a ticket is to have another offence such as being pulled over for speeding or bank heist.

But 50% has simply been too dark after driving with it for over a year. I have a scheduled appointment to have it removed and something lighter installed next week.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 01:31 PM   #20
NotARobot
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I have the black and coral red seats and the aluminum mesh. I like that combo a lot.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 02:29 PM   #21
DiscoDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for more input. I'm getting the Premium package as well (since I wanted the better sound system and a few of the other things.) I have a guy who can tint my car - I guess it would just be the front and passenger windows? Any reason to tint the sunroof as well? I'm wondering which windows should be tinted - if any...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 02:42 PM   #22
markronnie
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [9.00]
The back sears & rear are tinted from factory. Some states (like NY) restrict the % that the front sides can be tinted. For safety reasons they probably have restrictions on the windshield being tinted anything more that the manufacturer has already done.
Appreciate 0