E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > EBC yellow stuff pads on Ultimax Discs on 335i

07-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

EBC yellow stuff pads on Ultimax Discs on 335i

A few threads about brakes pads/discs recently, so I thought I share my experience of using the EBC stuff on my 335i. I'm sure EBC previously had a problems with quality control but I've used their pads/discs for the last 6 years without issues on my old car (350Z).

The OEM discs on my car had done 50K+ so needed replacing, went with EBC yellow stuff pads and Ultimax Disc. The bedding procedure involves doing x10 high speed stops but this can only be done when the new discs / pads have spend a few hundred miles getting aligned properly. Unfortunately because my car does very little miles it's taken the best part of 2 months to cover the required millage .

So today finally had the chance to put a heat cycle into the discs/pads and see what they can do....I wasn't really sure how well new discs/pads would perform but on my OEM discs I was getting pretty bad brake pads after 5-6 rapid stops within a short time frame, that was with running braided lines and high performance brake fluid.

With the new EBC combination even after 10 hard/quick stops the pedal lost no firmness, the pedal feel was perfect and very easy to modulate, and even after repeated stops the brakes had enough stopping power to trigger the ABS if your pressed a bit too hard on the pedal, so a definite improvement from the stock setup Day to day the brakes have no noticeable extra noise over the stock step up, and has excellent bite from cold.....However as mentioned the OEM discs on the car before were pretty much at the end of their lives so no idea what new OEM discs would be like.

So in conclusion I'm more than happy with the EBC yellow stuff pads and Ulitmax discs...I have no idea how they would perform on the track, but for fast road driving they are more than adequate and don't look half bad ....Plus on the forum Mob17 can get them at good price

Last edited by gangzoom; 07-09-2014 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
mike07s
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thought I'd add my opinion on the Yellowstuff and Ultimax combination, completely agree with the above with the only addition being after about 2000 miles roughly I was developing some bad break squeal. Spent an hour cleaning off the pads and regressing the contact points as the dust build up was quite bad (possibly from bedding in procedure). Since doing that I've had no problems and only excellent stopping performance. Definitely recommend as an alternative to OEM/upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

They look so damn nice with your wheels mate!

I need new discs and pads (54k, but have SS lines and ATE fluid) and will definitely be getting this combo. I was about 90% sure i'd buy them (as i can get them discounted) but now its 100%! I might paint my calipers black whilst i'm there too.

Thanks for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Plop
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

I'm also running yellow stuff pads on my 35d and I swear by them, this is the third car I've had them on, last really well too.
Appreciate 0