E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Looking for suggestions for a vacation to LA

07-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Looking for suggestions for a vacation to LA

Coming from Michigan, I am looking to plan a trip to LA. I will be flying out and finding a hotel to stay in. It's going to be about a 5 day trip. Unfortunately, the only thing I know of is Disney Land. It will be just the two of us.

A few things I'd like to look for:
  1. Hotel (nice location, modern, beautiful)
  2. Any MUST-GO-TO places?
  3. Restaurants
  4. Things to do in general (not trying to just site see like a tourist)
  5. Night life
  6. Something relaxing.. Beaches?
  7. Any other suggestions or things I should be before arriving or when I arrive.
  8. Any car scenes?
  9. Something/somewhere/someone who can plan all this? Vacation agency?

Also, how do we get around such a big city? Rent a car?

Thanks in advanced. I'll be there on October 8 - October 12.
      07-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
AnthonyT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Coming from Michigan, I am looking to plan a trip to LA. I will be flying out and finding a hotel to stay in. It's going to be about a 5 day trip. Unfortunately, the only thing I know of is Disney Land. It will be just the two of us.

3. Restaurants
  5. Night life
  7. Any other suggestions or things I should be before arriving or when I arrive.
  8. Any car scenes?

1) Stay at the Disney hotels, if not those the hilton down the street is pretty nice.

2) I'd check out hollywood, it's like an hour away. Also Santa Monica pier is pretty legit. Nice to walk around.

3)If you have kids eat at Ariel's Grotto. You get to meet all the princesses while you eat! Foods not amazing though. As far as out of the park it all just depends what you like to eat. Yelp is a good idea to look around.

4) Hollywood sign, check out a dodgers game or padres or angels. Do something you normally do in michigan in la.

5) No clue, I don't drink, club or party.

6) Santa Monica and Huntington beaches are the tits.

7) Be prepared to spend a shit load of money. If you are white id bring sun screen and shorts. No mandals though.

8) Sure there is, but why you going to spend your vacation looking at cars when you can do that at home and you won't have your car with you? Enjoy yourself mannnn

9) Use google and a map app. Always planned my vacations myself and I've never had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyT View Post
1) Stay at the Disney hotels, if not those the hilton down the street is pretty nice.

2) I'd check out hollywood, it's like an hour away. Also Santa Monica pier is pretty legit. Nice to walk around.

3)If you have kids eat at Ariel's Grotto. You get to meet all the princesses while you eat! Foods not amazing though. As far as out of the park it all just depends what you like to eat. Yelp is a good idea to look around.

4) Hollywood sign, check out a dodgers game or padres or angels. Do something you normally do in michigan in la.

5) No clue, I don't drink, club or party.

6) Santa Monica and Huntington beaches are the tits.

7) Be prepared to spend a shit load of money. If you are white id bring sun screen and shorts. No mandals though.

8) Sure there is, but why you going to spend your vacation looking at cars when you can do that at home and you won't have your car with you? Enjoy yourself mannnn

9) Use google and a map app. Always planned my vacations myself and I've never had an issue.

Thanks for the tips. Is it worth staying at one of the Disney Hotels? Seems like you'd be paying a bit more.
      07-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

[*]Hotel (nice location, modern, beautiful)[*]Any MUST-GO-TO places?[*]Restaurants[*]Things to do in general (not trying to just site see like a tourist)[*]Night life[*]Something relaxing.. Beaches?[*]Any other suggestions or things I should be before arriving or when I arrive.[*]Any car scenes? [*]Something/somewhere/someone who can plan all this? Vacation agency?[/LIST]
First of all, you're going to need a car. There's just no way in hell you're getting anywhere on public transportation bc well..it's complete shit in LA.

If you want to be centralized to things you should probably stay in the Anaheim area where Disneyland is. It's 30-40 mins from downtown LA and about 30-40 mins from the Orange County beaches.

If money is no object you should go eat at Providence, The Bazaar, The Water Grill and basically any others with a 4star+ rating in the city of your choice. You absolutely need to have a cheeseburger or two or three from IN N OUT Burger. Fish tacos from Taco Nazo. Japanese food in Little Tokyo(downtown LA) It really all depends on which type of food you like the most then it would be easier to give you recommendations.

For night life if it's just two people I probably wouldn't recommend going to a night club; just a simple bar. Long Beach, Old Town Pasadena and of course The Standard or The Perch or The Edison in downtown LA are nice bars to visit.

If you're looking for nice beaches go to Orange County. Search for CORONA DEL MAR specifically. Quiet and beautiful with limited tourists. Check out Huntington Beach and Newport Beach or even areas of Dana Point.

So much more things to recommend but you really just need to narrow it down to what you're into..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 e92 328

Any go to places i can think of are cars and coffee irvine(bit of a drive though) and in n out
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
First of all, you're going to need a car. There's just no way in hell you're getting anywhere on public transportation bc well..it's complete shit in LA.

If you want to be centralized to things you should probably stay in the Anaheim area where Disneyland is. It's 30-40 mins from downtown LA and about 30-40 mins from the Orange County beaches.

If money is no object you should go eat at Providence, The Bazaar, The Water Grill and basically any others with a 4star+ rating in the city of your choice. You absolutely need to have a cheeseburger or two or three from IN N OUT Burger. Fish tacos from Taco Nazo. Japanese food in Little Tokyo(downtown LA) It really all depends on which type of food you like the most then it would be easier to give you recommendations.

For night life if it's just two people I probably wouldn't recommend going to a night club; just a simple bar. Long Beach, Old Town Pasadena and of course The Standard or The Perch or The Edison in downtown LA are nice bars to visit.

If you're looking for nice beaches go to Orange County. Search for CORONA DEL MAR specifically. Quiet and beautiful with limited tourists. Check out Huntington Beach and Newport Beach or even areas of Dana Point.

So much more things to recommend but you really just need to narrow it down to what you're into..
Very helpful!! Thank you.
So, Disney Land isn't a bad idea then...
      07-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

A few pointers:

1. You will definitely need a rental car.
2. Disney hotels are for kids. Find a boutique hotel near the beach or stay in downtown LA. The JW Marriott is nice.
3. As mentioned above, a vacation rental in Corona Del Mar/Balboa Island is very, very nice. The quintessential Socal experience.
4. Sushi in LA is excellent and affordable.
5. There are many night clubs in LA but they are not much fun for 2 people. Go to beach town dive bars instead. One of them, North End Bar and Grill, happens to be the local hangout of the reigning NHL champs. You might run into one of them.
5. Yelp. Use it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Great pointers. I also want to make sure I am clear on the whole night life thing. We're not looking for bars and/or clubs More so, is there anything that goes on at night? Here, in Michigan, the night ends at 10 PM.

I will look into those.
Thanks
      07-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

How old are you guys? What did you want to do at night? Interested in theater/music/museums/beer/wine/crystal meth/???
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
How old are you guys? What did you want to do at night? Interested in theater/music/museums/beer/wine/crystal meth/???
We're 24. We are trying to take this time to relax and find some time to do things we can't do in Michigan (It's boring out here!). So, this will be a good opportunity to sight see and do cool things. We are into food, downtown things, movies, etc. She likes shopping, photography, and cooking. I like cars, aquariums, athletics, and such.

So, we're open to many different things.

Here's another questions for you guys...

I'm thinking about popping the question on this vacation. I need ideas. I'm not from this area.
      07-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

definitely some good driving roads and hiking trails in the malibu area, could probably have a nice drive, hike somewhere with an ocean view, picnic and bust out the ring

definitely wander around hollywood for a little while, lots of good restaurants in that area (but you'll need reservations for the better ones)

Aquarium of the pacific in long beach is really nice, might want to check that out. Shopping, obviously take her by Rodeo Drive (if your pocketbook can hang!) Venice Beach is always an eclectic scene, probably great for pictures if she's into people watching.

I'll try and think of a few other suggestions, but that's a start.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
definitely some good driving roads and hiking trails in the malibu area, could probably have a nice drive, hike somewhere with an ocean view, picnic and bust out the ring

definitely wander around hollywood for a little while, lots of good restaurants in that area (but you'll need reservations for the better ones)

Aquarium of the pacific in long beach is really nice, might want to check that out. Shopping, obviously take her by Rodeo Drive (if your pocketbook can hang!) Venice Beach is always an eclectic scene, probably great for pictures if she's into people watching.

I'll try and think of a few other suggestions, but that's a start.
Thanks for the ideas. We really need these. It's hard to find ideas online. You guys are a big help!
      07-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
3750xMikey
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold 2010 335i

Downtown fullerton! or Downtown pasadena for night life yo!

hit up slaters 50/50
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #14
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. We really need these. It's hard to find ideas online. You guys are a big help!
I didn't read through your whole thread, but growing up in the LA area here is my suggestion:

Disneyland is a must. A whole day event and I would get there early and stay late. Downtown Disney is really fun to walk around too.

Venice Beach boardwalk is a very touristy spot thats interesting to say the least. Lots of little shops and street performers. Muscle park is where the buffest of all men train, basically an outdoor gym, aka where Arnold S. was discovered. There's also a skate park and obviously the beach itself.

If you're traveling with kids, California Science Center is completely free, though they ask for "donations". This is where the Endeavor space shuttle currently resides though you will have to pay a fee to get into the exhibit.

Hollywood is pretty typical. Chinese man theater. Stars on the sidewalk. Hollywood sign.

And if you don't mind driving a little further, say another 80-90 miles, then Temecula for wine tasting. So-cal's version of Napa Valley.

There's also a lot of night clubs if thats your scene. A couple similar to Vegas style clubs. To name a few: Drais in Hollywood, Supperclub, Boulevard3. The Edison is a lounge/bar where people dress up like how they did in the twenties.
      07-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Korea town bro! Best Korean food in the states. Very close to Korea itself.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #16
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

Definitely get in n out if your visiting California. Also if you never had Brazilian BBQ I highly recommend M Grill at Koreatown in Los Angeles. Weekday lunch prices are about 35 or so a person all you can eat and 59.99 for weekends and dinner. They have a great selection of premium wines and beer to choose from.

Edit: make sure you get a reservation if your planning to go for dinner or on a weekend. Last seating is 2pm for lunch.
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #17
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

definitely some good kbbq in ktown, I kinda like Oo Kook cause they have duck but any of them from $18-25pp are about the same
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
These are amazing suggestions! I am definitely into Korean BBQ.
      07-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #19
canny714
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

Garage List
Quote:

3. Restaurants
  5. Night life
  8. Any car scenes?

Best advice, don't come to LA. Go to Jamaica , Cancun, Or the Bajamas. You will have a more relaxing vacation in better sand, better water, and better weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #20
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
Temecula for wine tasting. So-cal's version of Napa Valley.
No way you can compare Temecula to Napa. Temecula is a waste of time IMO, their reds are terrible. As much as I wanted to justify the trip, I couldn't even bring myself to buy a $20 bottle.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
A friend of mine recommended renting out a condo or a beach house instead of finding a hotel. Not sure about this idea..? About the same price it seems though. Maybe a nice idea because some come with garage, since I need to rent a car.
      07-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #22
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Location is EVERYTHING in LA, renting the wrong place to save $50 will cost you 3-4 hrs in driving. I would move around and do the hotel thing if you can afford it
Appreciate 0