E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Front License Plate?

07-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 LCI

Front License Plate?

Yes, I know you're supposed to have Front License plate in Ontario but everyday I commute I see atleast see 4 or 5 cars driving without front plates..

My question is, do you run with no front plates/ do the cops pull you over if you don't

I believe in Quebec you don't need front plates, by any means does this mean I don't have any, just when I decide to get a Mtec bumper I don't want to drill holes into it.

Any input is welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
11SEC
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I ran without front plates for 3+ years and never had a problem. Then I got 2 tickets within a month. It's at your own risk.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
jgofton89
Private
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

Modify your tow hook to use as your plate mount - tons of info on here and google.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328 xdrive

I had mine taped with 3m tape for a year now, two days ago it was getting loose and I had to pull it off in order to avoid dropping it on the highway. Last night as I was driving my cousin back to his apartment, I drove by a cop that was coming from the other direction and immediately I look at my rear mirror and I see him doing a 3 point turn already. Luckily I arrived at the condo and turned into the underground parking. lol

Thinking about getting a mount ASAP !!!
      07-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SEC View Post
I ran without front plates for 3+ years and never had a problem. Then I got 2 tickets within a month. It's at your own risk.
Yea, head many of my buddies tell me the same thing..

One of my friend went to the extreme and got a quebec plate living in ONT so he wouldn't need the front plate.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgofton89 View Post
Modify your tow hook to use as your plate mount - tons of info on here and google.
I know I could easily get a tow hook mount, but I rather prefer the no plate look better.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
I had mine taped with 3m tape for a year now, two days ago it was getting loose and I had to pull it off in order to avoid dropping it on the highway. Last night as I was driving my cousin back to his apartment, I drove by a cop that was coming from the other direction and immediately I look at my rear mirror and I see him doing a 3 point turn already. Luckily I arrived at the condo and turned into the underground parking. lol

Thinking about getting a mount ASAP !!!
Smart move

I might do that, or even just put the plate on my front dash? (probably not since it's so tacky)

My buddy is running no plates for 2 years now and no tickets, and I also hear people getting numerous of tickets because of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
335alive
i accidentally the verb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ

My car was originally from Montreal, so therefore, no holes drilled in the front bumper.

I wasn't about to go doing that, so I ran for about the first 6 months with my plate on the dash. Then I got a tow-hook plate mount and ran like that for about a year.

When my water pump blew, I had to take it off to put the actual tow-hook in, so I took it off and put it in the trunk. Decided not to put it back on after. Have been running like that for almost a year now.

Knock on wood, but I haven't been pulled over for it yet. I always sweat a little when I pass a cop, though...

Recently I sold a car to a Peel Regional cop, and he said it's $125 fine, but he also called it a "dick ticket", meaning the cop will only nail you with this one if you are being a dick, or if he is a dick.

I specifically avoided the Heartland meet last night because I heard there was tons of heat around and they were tagging people for the simplest little things.
'08 E90 335i 6MT - SOLD
'13 BRZ SportTech 6MT - current
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335alive View Post
My car was originally from Montreal, so therefore, no holes drilled in the front bumper.

I wasn't about to go doing that, so I ran for about the first 6 months with my plate on the dash. Then I got a tow-hook plate mount and ran like that for about a year.

When my water pump blew, I had to take it off to put the actual tow-hook in, so I took it off and put it in the trunk. Decided not to put it back on after. Have been running like that for almost a year now.

Knock on wood, but I haven't been pulled over for it yet. I always sweat a little when I pass a cop, though...

Recently I sold a car to a Peel Regional cop, and he said it's $125 fine, but he also called it a "dick ticket", meaning the cop will only nail you with this one if you are being a dick, or if he is a dick.

I specifically avoided the Heartland meet last night because I heard there was tons of heat around and they were tagging people for the simplest little things.
Thanks for the input,

it really comes down to the cop I guess

I'm sure I can always fight the ticket but it's not worth the time. I'll wait until ON changes the provincial law, or when I do get the mtec bumper i'll just run tow hook mounts for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

I would put on the plate no matter what if its the law in your area.
few reasons why.....
1. it looks cool w/o plate *only by yourself.
2. it looks cool w/ plate by *majority others who is enough to know its the law including myself.
3. tow hook plate seems for ricers or teenagers, imho (let's not go in war who uses tow hook )
4. No fine awareness when you see a cop.
why go against the law and it doesn't make your car look special w/o plate.
just my .2
btw, I hate seeing cars with the plates inside the cabin stuck into the dashboard. It is so annoying seeing it.
They think they it adds what 50hp??? I am one of those guys that don't mind fake badges and somewhat but this plate thing bother me a lot lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
335alive
i accidentally the verb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
few reasons why.....
2. it looks cool w/ plate by *majority others who is enough to know its the law including myself.
3. tow hook plate seems for ricers or teenagers, imho (let's not go in war who uses tow hook )
just my .2
btw, I hate seeing cars with the plates inside the cabin stuck into the dashboard. It is so annoying seeing it.
They think they it adds what 50hp??? I am one of those guys that don't mind fake badges and somewhat but this plate thing bother me a lot lol.

Cool story, bro.
'08 E90 335i 6MT - SOLD
'13 BRZ SportTech 6MT - current
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
few reasons why.....
just my .2
Yes obviously I'll like it, hence the reason I'm doing it..
I'm not doing this to please anyone else, my car my build.

As a said in the thread, all opinions are welcomed, so thank you for your opinion.

I just have different taste.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
11SEC
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
few reasons why.....
just my .2
bow bow down , I hate seeing cars with the plates inside the cabin stuck into the dashboard. It is so annoying seeing it.
Wow.....
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #14
diaz92376
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Living in cali I feel your pain but I don't think it's worth the risk. A while back there was a guy on here who got pulled over for that reason and that just caused the chain reaction. The cop added a ticket for exhaust then made him pop his hood, more tickets. And the cherry on top he had his car impounded. I'd stick with a tow hook.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #15
xXSupa
IG @F30_MPE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i MPE

Be careful about putting the plate on your dash.

In some provinces, like BC, you get a larger fine for putting the plate on your dash (~$250), than if you just run no plate at all ($167).

The reason behind that is if you get into an accident and your plate on your dash flies out at you at 60km/h.... Not gonna be a good ending for you and/or your passenger.

2018 F30 340i | M Performance Edition
Alpine White | Individual Black Merino Leather
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
Speaking of license plates, the screws they use are the worst on these cars.
I swapped out my plate frames this weekend, and the front nylon screws were stripped.
The bottom rear screws were so rusted they didn't even come off! They should really put stainless steel screws on these things.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #17
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassub View Post
Speaking of license plates, the screws they use are the worst on these cars.
I swapped out my plate frames this weekend, and the front nylon screws were stripped.
The bottom rear screws were so rusted they didn't even come off! They should really put stainless steel screws on these things.
+1 it's silly how BMW uses the cheapest screws they can find, even my buddies m3 had the same rusty screws, it's actually quite sad.

That was one of the many reasons why I wanted to take off my front license plate and substitute it for a tow hook mount, or run plateless. Can't really do anything about the rear plates though
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #18
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
I was running with no plates for under a year until I got a warning, the following week, I zip-tie my plates. My bumper doesnt have holes as I told the dealer again and again not to drill it!

One of the stupidest thing to pay for is a ticket for not having a front license plate! Its just annoying but nothing you can really do, unless you register your car in Quebec, Alberta or NS.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
e90mbition
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

when I first got my m3 bumper, i didn't want to drill the bumper so I ran without plates, but on the 6th day without plates, I got a cop from the opposite direction did a U turn and pulled me over and gave me a warning. I had the plate on hanging on the grill like a tongue sticking out until my screwless plate holder arrived.

It's like this and bolts onto the bottom plate screws. Got this over the tow hook mount because it looks more OEM and I clear bra'd my plate to protect it form stone chips.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #20
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
No front plate is a non-moving violation, equivalent in risk to a parking ticket. So, who cares if you get a ticket it won't affect your insurance. Easy enough to fight off in court or just eat the cost. Something about "pay to play" comes to mind here.

Unless of course you're doing something else illegal which you don't want to have subsequently discovered. In that case why are you driving a clapped out BMW, you should be driving a Corolla.

As mentioned, plate on the dash is a safety risk so please don't do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #21
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90mbition View Post
when I first got my m3 bumper, i didn't want to drill the bumper so I ran without plates, but on the 6th day without plates, I got a cop from the opposite direction did a U turn and pulled me over and gave me a warning. I had the plate on hanging on the grill like a tongue sticking out until my screwless plate holder arrived.

It's like this and bolts onto the bottom plate screws. Got this over the tow hook mount because it looks more OEM and I clear bra'd my plate to protect it form stone chips.

That's good, never saw that before. I gotta wonder though, wouldn't that damage the mesh while you're driving?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #22
headhunterz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M/T

I ran no front plate for a few years, got a ticket at a roadblock $109 and a few other verbal warnings and then a few weeks ago another $109 ticket.. so I decided to put it back on lol.

And don't put your plate on your dash, because it'll cut your your head off if you get in an accident.
Appreciate 0