E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Eisenmann and Downpipes = Drone?

08-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C43 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Eisenmann and Downpipes = Drone?

Hey guys, getting an Eisenmann Race any day now and was curious if anyone is running the setup with a set of catless or catted dp's. I'd probably run catted just for emissions crap in VA. I want to know if there's any drone or if it's a good sound. I've checked out plenty of vids on youtube but want to know from people firsthand. Doesn't have to be an Eisenmann, if you have another exhaust with DP just curious how bad the drone is or if there even is any.
      08-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I had an eisenmann race with stock DPs and the drone was horrendous. Had to stay in fifth gear at highway speeds to have a conversation. The sound above 3,500 rpm was intoxicating though. But I ultimately sold mine because I wanted to go FBO and I knew that catless DPs with E-race wouldn't be tolerable for me. I was 24 when that happened BTW, so its not like I'm a grandpa who's used to driving a Lexus haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I have an Eisenmann and had AR catless DP's. It was loud, but not super obnoxious. You would have to turn the volume up on the radio sometimes. You could carry on a conversation in a reasonable manner. I ended up taking off the DP's due to emissions and now w/ stock DP's, it's still loud. A bit quieter, but the main difference is that it drones a tiny bit less on the hwy and there is less popping on decel.

I may be biased since I've had really loud cars in the past and got used to it. I don't love noise for the sake of noise, but I think I'm just used to it. Eisenmann w/ catless dp's would set off a lot of warning chirps from car alarms in parking decks. I'm about to put catless dp's back on, so I guess that says the noise wasn't that much of an issue for me.

From what I've read, a lot of the complaints were from when the race was super loud. The newer versions (I think I have a newer version) are quieter than the original. But it will be hard to get an opinion since sound is subjective. There are people here that think a muffler delete isn't that loud...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Fwiw I now have an AE high flow catted with Vrsf catless DPs and the sound is perfect to me. Zero drone. Not super loud until you go WOT and then it sounds amazing. For me its perfect. I get compliments on it from every single person who rides in the car. When I had the E-race and had passengers, car guys would love the sound and non car people and ladies would say my car sounded like it was broken haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
OPe92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6AT SGM

Yes you will drone. It will be louder if you remove the secondary cats as well. Nothing some vibrant resonators won't fix
      08-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Stock + eisenmann race is too loud in the first place... with catless Dp's you be heard like 2 miles away.

I then bought the Sports box and the sound was much lower than stock box.

There is nothing inbetween race and sport which is a shame as the sound is lovely.

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0