E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 remote tuner recommendations

08-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 35i

N54 remote tuner recommendations

Hey! I seem to be hitting a wall anytime I try to hire someone to help with my car.

I'd like a tuner that will take the time (paid) to answer my questions, address concerns, etc, as well as being known for being a great tuner. I don't except this to be the tunes of all tunes or to crank out as much power as possible. I'm just thinking I can get more than the default PROcede map provided & I may want to consider a back end flash.

I've tried to get other forum members who are known tuners and it seems like they are under the impression they are just doing this as a favor and I'll wait as much as a week between emails and not get many of my questions answered.

Which is tricky cause sometimes they are just trying things out and asking for feedback, so I make the change they want to try, car runs like crap, I don't know how to revert back or correct it, I get check engine lights etc and they disappear for a week while my car is in this state. Yet it will be a tuner some people rave about... IDK what to think.

When I ask for feedback online I get responses with attitudes like, isn't it obvious what you need to do? Or statements about how this persons tune is a one gear wonder and this other persons tune is blah blah, but no one tells me what I should use or who I should go to. Everyone is quick to bash or say it's wrong and there's something better, but won't explain what the better option is.

I know nothing of tuning cars of the software we're using, that's why I'm trying to hire someone... and want to learn in the process.

I have INPA & cable, I also have the BT cable & software.

I'm looking to take advantage of what I have but not be too aggressive with the tune. I'd also like to look at making sure things are within spec like injectors, LPFP/HPFP, fuel trims, AFR, etc while we are at it.

Sorry if I seem frustrated. HAHA. My car isn't in a healthy state at this point and I'd like help from start to finish & I'm willing to pay.

Thanks everyone!
      08-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

If you're talking about stacking a back end flash with the Procede then Wedge is probably your best option. As for answering questions I'd say post them here and I'm sure you'll get answers.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Post up a log with "LPFP/HPFP, fuel trims, AFR, etc" in it, also include timing on the cylinders and we can eyeball if there are any issues. Give us some symptoms of what is going on with your car. Misfires? Stumble at idle? Low boost? This community has some helpful people but we need to see some logs/data of what is going on before offering advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Wedge
FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Subscribed.

I feel the same way as the OP. Woudl prefer a competent tuner that will take the time to do it right, but isn't locked into a certain interface. I too and a BT/FFT user with a nice canned map but would love a custom tuned map that addresses all of my nuanced preferences (throttle leg behavior, linearity settings, fuel requirements, etc).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I really appreciate everyone's reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
If you're talking about stacking a back end flash with the Procede then Wedge is probably your best option. As for answering questions I'd say post them here and I'm sure you'll get answers.
Thanks. I'm also curious if there's anyone else people would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder View Post
Post up a log with "LPFP/HPFP, fuel trims, AFR, etc" in it, also include timing on the cylinders and we can eyeball if there are any issues. Give us some symptoms of what is going on with your car. Misfires? Stumble at idle? Low boost? This community has some helpful people but we need to see some logs/data of what is going on before offering advice.
This is a good start. This is often what others online have asked but it falls short when I reply with...

I'm not sure which values in either the PROcede software or the BT software will give you the data you're wanting. There's a list of options in both and sometimes there's similar values, like CAN DME fuel trim, Actual fuel trim, etc & I'm not sure exactly which one's to log & with which software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRMTL2_335i View Post
Wedge
Thanks for recommending that tuner, also... are there any other tuners people would recommend?
      08-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep

Most tend not to support stacking. If you had a JB4 and a COBB you could get maps and assistance from Terry. Shiv no longer supports the N54/55 platform for the most part. You might consider dumping the Process for a JB.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
You might consider dumping the Process for a JB.
I'm open to that. The main thing stopping me is that from what I've read the JB won't support the Vishnu Meth Kit. So I'd be looking at the cost to swap out both.

Surely there's a tuner that can handle the PROcede, lots of people have had them for many years.

There must be others with the PROcede that had help from tuners... I can't believe everyone is either their own tuner or they switch to JB to get tuning help. Right?
      08-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm in a similar boat and I've done some checking around after my RBs went in. Bren Tuning doesn't support stacking. I emailed PTF on the 28th of July and they haven't responded but I don't believe they support stacking either. I have been running the Procede since Shiv first released it and I've always been very happy...so much so that many of my mods were purchased through Vishnu and I got suckered into the OFT when it first came out. Shiv offered remote tuning but dropped it right after I bought my OFT and I sold it a short while later in favor of the COBB unit. I have considered dropping my Procede for a JB because Terry has base maps for the JB/COBB combo on his sight. I have a local friend that is going to help me with some base maps for stacking this weekend but if we have issues I will be selling my Procede in favor of a JB. The lack of support for this platform has made the Procede much less desirable than it once was. You can Google v8bait and he's posted some base maps that may help as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
lukeperformance
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon026 View Post
I'm open to that. The main thing stopping me is that from what I've read the JB won't support the Vishnu Meth Kit. So I'd be looking at the cost to swap out both.

Surely there's a tuner that can handle the PROcede, lots of people have had them for many years.

There must be others with the PROcede that had help from tuners... I can't believe everyone is either their own tuner or they switch to JB to get tuning help. Right?
What is wrong with your car? Do you have logs?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep
Drives: 07 335i & 94 3000GT VR4

I'm actually looking for the same thing.... a remote tuner. Who is Wedge?

[Race] 1994 Rare Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
[Daily] 2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT
SPECS: [SpaceGray.Sport.Premium.Nav] MODS: [BTDCI.AAFMIC.AABOV.EBAYDP.?EXHAUST.VPROCEDE.BSHOCC]
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
jmb85
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

@WedgePerformance has a highly refined stand alone flash that performs very well stand alone unlike a back end flash. I believe he takes donations for his time.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #13
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Hey OP, Luke is a good tuner also and if you or Luke need any assistance with the PROcede I can step in and help. I ran the PROcede for years and it's a great boost controller. Newer firmware also allows for up to 5 degs of timing increase, so not much point in flashing if you're just running pump gas.

I'm going to be extremely busy for the next week, otherwise I would step in and help now, so hopefully Luke can help you figure things out... Hit me up mid next week if you still need assistance.

Quote:
Hey! I seem to be hitting a wall anytime I try to hire someone to help with my car.

I'd like a tuner that will take the time (paid) to answer my questions, address concerns, etc, as well as being known for being a great tuner. I don't except this to be the tunes of all tunes or to crank out as much power as possible. I'm just thinking I can get more than the default PROcede map provided & I may want to consider a back end flash.

I've tried to get other forum members who are known tuners and it seems like they are under the impression they are just doing this as a favor and I'll wait as much as a week between emails and not get many of my questions answered.

Which is tricky cause sometimes they are just trying things out and asking for feedback, so I make the change they want to try, car runs like crap, I don't know how to revert back or correct it, I get check engine lights etc and they disappear for a week while my car is in this state. Yet it will be a tuner some people rave about... IDK what to think.

When I ask for feedback online I get responses with attitudes like, isn't it obvious what you need to do? Or statements about how this persons tune is a one gear wonder and this other persons tune is blah blah, but no one tells me what I should use or who I should go to. Everyone is quick to bash or say it's wrong and there's something better, but won't explain what the better option is.

I know nothing of tuning cars of the software we're using, that's why I'm trying to hire someone... and want to learn in the process.

I have INPA & cable, I also have the BT cable & software.

I'm looking to take advantage of what I have but not be too aggressive with the tune. I'd also like to look at making sure things are within spec like injectors, LPFP/HPFP, fuel trims, AFR, etc while we are at it.

Sorry if I seem frustrated. HAHA. My car isn't in a healthy state at this point and I'd like help from start to finish & I'm willing to pay.

Thanks everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeperformance View Post
What is wrong with your car? Do you have logs?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #14
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
A few questions first of all:
It sounds like you want a custom tune however you are not looking for maximum power, normally, those seeking a custom piggy map of custom flash tune want to max out their platform, so please explain what your goals are.

As stated earlier, you can switch to the JB4 piggy back and sell the PROcede. Benefits; constant updates ,new features/more setting and adjustability also your choice of back end flash maps, for auto cars, E85, race, pump gas. Cons; other then $$$ TBD

As far as meth kit, after looking at instructions and pics I am not 100% sure how the Vishnu kit is setup. there are setting in the JB4 that will allow you to run a meth kit without direct integration or safety features, this is discouraged as the feature has been nicknamed “spray and pray”, so your other option is to buy the BMS FSB controller ($150) and use that to integrate your pump/tank to the JB4.
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0