E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Replaced OEM Turbo Diverter Valve "Plastic Nasties!"

10-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM

Garage List
Replaced OEM Turbo Diverter Valve "Plastic Nasties!"

After seeing the leak rate and compressor surge of the OEM plastic Turbo Diverter Valves I opted to replace them with the Kompact (Turbosmart) plumb back diverter valves or BPVs - this valve is quieter than the BOV as I am one of the few I guess who does not like the loud hiss. Both Turbosmart BPV and BOV replace the OEM valves/corrugated plastic tubes with real hoses (larger diameter), clamps, properly engineered valves, and they plug right in. While I still don't like the plastic CP I can live with it for now. I am trying to keep everything direct fit replacements for OEM parts for warranty reasons.

The OEM air box will need to be removed and that is about as complicated as it gets for the install.

I was amazed at how bad the OEM diverter valves really are. This was definitely a cost cutting move by some accountant and possibly another way to prevent the N54 from realizing its full potential and threatening other BMW engine performance ///M-etrics. If you have a tune and are running these OEM pieces of **** - get these things out of your car!

Comparative Observation: After cutting off the over engineered solid rear diffuser stanchions (needed to hold on a 16oz at best diffuser) that my 145lb son could do pull-ups on and then seeing this purposely under engineered cheaply made part on such vital engine components (turbos) I had to shake my head.

After Install Testing:
The result was that I felt an immediate harder pull and the boost is there immediately! With my foot calibrated for the "plastic nasties" I accelerated and the car startled me a little - definitely has a harder pull and sounds great. I can hear the slight hiss but not like the BOV. Not sure what this has done to the actual torque and power but the car accelerates and maintains more pull and power. To be sure I will have to dyno it again.

Thought I would share the pics of before, during, after installation. The graphs below are from Turbosmart testing on a 1M.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******
Price Match (UPDATE):

FYI to anyone interested - Jeff@TopGearSolutions says he will price match 338.00 in his post below on page 2 - which is what I paid Hybrid Racing (free shipping) for this part. I have posted the invoice image below as proof of sale/price for anyone who wants to use Jeff's price matching offer.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******

UPDATE 10/3:

Carried this from page to the top. Found them at the URL below while looking for more data for 307.00 - but not sure about the legitimacy of this site. FYI. To me this site is questionable but thought I would post it anyway. It comes back to a company in Japan but this site sells more than just autoparts....? Their info is below along with the URL

Registrant Street1: Chuo-ku Minamisenba 3-1-8
Registrant Street2: MinamiSenba Dream bldg.
Registrant City: Osaka
Registrant State/Province: Osaka
Registrant Postal Code: 542-0081
Registrant Country: JP
Registrant Phone: +81.0662416585
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +81.0662416586

http://centrecommunautairefn.com/bmw...4-p-13755.html
Attached Images

'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete

Last edited by EMITTR; 10-05-2014 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
First Graph - "But there is also another benefit of upgrading and that’s performance. Our UK distributor, AET Turbos put our Kompact Plumb Back to a back to back test against the factory bpvs on a BMW 1M, and the results speak for themselves."

Second Graph - "The solid lines on the graphs indicate the Turbosmart Kompact Plumb Backs and the factory Bosch bpvs are the dotted line. It’s clearly visible how the boost comes on faster and how it is maintained higher through the rev range with the Turbosmart Kompact Plumb Backs. This results in high mid range torque and power and a higher top end power shown in the graph below."

Third Graph - Compressor Surge & Turbo Lag
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete

Last edited by EMITTR; 10-01-2014 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Looks good, OEM are definitely low quality. One thing, are you sure those are oriented properly? The reason I ask is it is easy to put them in reversed. If you notice on the stock valves the flat face part of the valves face each other, on your install they point up.

I have Forge diverter valves and they orient the same way as the stock ones do, I am not sure about yours though. IOW what I am saying is check if the end you have stuck in the charge pipe should actually be reversed, and in the supplied hose instead. They only work properly in one orientation.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Don't forget that eventually, the actual CP itself will break/grenade under higher than stock boost levels. But, I believe these can be transferred to an aftermarket CP with factory DV setup.

I like those DV's though, nice write-up on them!

Edit: I shouldn't say "Will" break, but is much more likely to break. I know there's plenty of guys with some time on the stocker tuned, etc.
      10-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Looks good, OEM are definitely low quality. One thing, are you sure those are oriented properly? The reason I ask is it is easy to put them in reversed. If you notice on the stock valves the flat face part of the valves face each other, on your install they point up.

I have Forge diverter valves and they orient the same way as the stock ones do, I am not sure about yours though. IOW what I am saying is check if the end you have stuck in the charge pipe should actually be reversed, and in the supplied hose instead. They only work properly in one orientation.
Thanks! Yup. Orientation is correct as they are "keyed" so to speak to fit OEM. The instructions show the same final orientation and they work better than I thought they would. Feels like a different car.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Don't forget that eventually, the actual CP itself will break/grenade under higher than stock boost levels. But, I believe these can be transferred to an aftermarket CP with factory DV setup.

I like those DV's though, nice write-up on them!
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah - I have been looking for an OEM type CP replacement. If you know one let me know. CP is **** too!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post
Yeah - I have been looking for an OEM type CP replacement. If you know one let me know. CP is **** too!
VRSF is your cheapest option with the factory DV/C-Clip setup that I know of.
http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-chargep...i-n54-n55.html

I'd contact Tiago@VRSF, or a vendor of your choice to confirm the Turbosmart DV's will work on this chargepipe!
      10-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
VRSF is your cheapest option with the factory DV/C-Clip setup that I know of.
http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-chargep...i-n54-n55.html

I'd contact Tiago@VRSF, or a vendor of your choice to confirm the Turbosmart DV's will work on this chargepipe!
Thanks! Right away though I can see it is different. It only has one port where the OEM has two. Appreciate the link though.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks! Right away though I can see it is different. It only has one port where the OEM has two. Appreciate the link though.
Look harder...multiple configs yo.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They don't picture it, but at the bottom you'd select "OEM DV CONNECTION". It would look like this
https://www.google.com/search?q=n54+...rs%3B600%3B360

That CP IS NOT the VRSF unit though. That's a different brand altogether. I just grabbed that off google real quick.
      10-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Look harder...multiple configs yo.

Yup I looked. Will not fit with the Turbosmart OEM. The charge pipe looks to be an OEM upgrade not an exact OEM replacement/better but exact replacement which is what I am looking for to accommodate the dual bypass valves. Unless I am missing something...you put it side by side with the OEM and the OEM has two ports for two valves. This has one port.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They don't picture it, but at the bottom you'd select "OEM DV CONNECTION". It would look like this
https://www.google.com/search?q=n54+...rs%3B600%3B360

That CP IS NOT the VRSF unit though. That's a different brand altogether. I just grabbed that off google real quick.
That's what I am looking for! that is it! Wish I had seen that before these were installed! Well...there is my next mod! And oh yeah...there is the "if you are in California we will not sell it to you because of California's emissions laws" BMS notice LOL!!!

Ugh...sometimes this state annoys me....well more than sometimes.

Last edited by EMITTR; 10-01-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

got to get rid of the stock crapy dv's and get a couple of these, nice write up.
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #14
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
got to get rid of the stock crapy dv's and get a couple of these, nice write up.
you will love 'em!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Link to where you got those dvs and hoses? Looks great btw thanks for the pics.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr335bob View Post
Link to where you got those dvs and hoses? Looks great btw thanks for the pics.
Appreciate the feedback. I found them cheaper (383) than other places on Amazon through Hybrid Racing. Here is the link. Most of the other places had them at 400 - 525. The kit includes all the hoses and clamps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #17
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #18
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr335bob View Post
Thanks
Just looked at the link. I got them for 338 with free shipping at the beginning of Sept. Looks like all of them went up roughly 45.00 but still cheaper than Turner, Mod Bargains, and others. Might want to call Hybrid Racing and see if they will honor that price - otherwise found these for a little cheaper than the 383 they are advertising now:

Hybrid Racing (amazon.com)
Items Ordered Price

Turbosmart Kompact Plumb Back Diverter Valve BMW N54 (135i/335i/535i/Z4)

1 of: Turbosmart Kompact Plumb Back Diverter Valve BMW N54 (135i/335i/535i/Z4)
Sold by: Hybrid Racing (seller profile)

Condition: New

$338.68

Item(s) Subtotal: $338.68
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
-----
Total before tax: $338.68
Sales Tax: $0.00
-----
Total for This Shipment: $338.68

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/t...UAoaAl7m8P8HAQ

Amazon dealers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Last edited by EMITTR; 10-01-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #19
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I am looking for! that is it! Wish I had seen that before these were installed! Well...there is my next mod! And oh yeah...there is the "if you are in California we will not sell it to you because of California's emissions laws" BMS notice LOL!!!

Ugh...sometimes this state annoys me....well more than sometimes.
Contact VRSF for their version, it's like $195 in black with a c-clip adapter.
      10-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Contact VRSF for their version, it's like $195 in black with a c-clip adapter.
Sweet! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

any difference between these and forge?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #22
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
any difference between these and forge?
With the Forge you can change the spacers (diaphragm?) and the springs for different PSI ranges. With the Kompact TS you can as well with a different spring (See MajesticBlueNTO post on the 2nd page). Initial OEM range is optimized and set. Forge allows you to change out the springs to handle higher psi outputs, i.e. specific ranges from 5-15, 15-23, 23-30, 30 and higher.

Updated (10/3/14):
-Forge uses the OEM vacuum hoses and you do not get new ones with the kit as you do with the TS.
-Forge fits with the same horizontal orientation as the OEM, Turbosmart fits in with a vertical BOV orientation.
-Forge you get two different springs for two different PSI ranges (??) TS you can also get a different spring (See MajesticBlueNTO post on the 2nd page) but it does not come with it like the Forge does. (UPDATE)

<Initial post errata - don't rotate the top of the Plumb Back Valve. See MajesticBlueNTO post on the 2nd page>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TS works by rotating top to adjust to PSI ranges from 5-50 psi but there is no demarcation as to where those points are - you have to adjust and rev the engine and adjust and rev until there is no compressor surge and you are at the sweet spot - according to Kompact (Turbosmart).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<Initial post errata - don't rotate the top of the Plumb Back Valve. See MajesticBlueNTO post on the 2nd page>

-Forge uses a diaphragm-based valve and TS uses a piston-based which they say has the tightest tolerances on the market.(update)
-Forge are physically larger than TS (UPDATE)

-The TS from the manufacturer is more expensive than Forge due to the piston vs. diaphragm valve design and supported PSI ranges; still you can find it nearly $200.00 cheaper as I did (shown in my $338.00 purchase order above) which puts it in the same price range as Forge or possibly less if you can get it with free shipping. On the average though, TS is 100.00 to 200.00 higher than Forge. Price ranges from $338.00 USD - $535.00 USD with 374.00 USD being the common price.(UPDATE)

-Forge seems to be more "tunable" per se with the different springs
-TS has a different (stiffer) spring you can purchase if desired per MajesticBlueNTO post below (UPDATE)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forge N54 DV Spring kit (Audi) with PSI range examples:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/bsptukit.html

Forge N54 Kit
http://www.**********s.com/Forge-Mot...-135i-335i.htm

TS N54 BPV (Plumb Back, Diverter etc.) Valve
http://www.turbosmart.com.au/wp-cont..._KompactPB.jpg

TS N54 BPV Kit
http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Prod...k-KIT-BMW.html

TS Technical Articles:
http://www.turbosmartusa.com/technical-articles

Last edited by EMITTR; 10-03-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0