E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Rattle/Buzz From Undercarriage

12-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
MonacoTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Monaco Blue 335 Coupe

Rattle/Buzz From Undercarriage

Has anyone noticed a rattle/buzz coming from the undercarriage upon engine RPM deceleration. I.E you are up to some high RPM level, and as soon as you decelerate, you hear a buzzing noise that persists as the RPMs drop.

I did some testing tonight, and it persists until exactly 1100 RPM, then stops.

By leaving it in gear and letting go of the gas it will persist longer (as it takes longer to get to 1100 RPM).

The buzz is something akin to putting a baseball card in your bicycles spokes as a kid, but with a more tin-like note to it.

My guess is it is coming from the exhaust piping somewhere, but this is just speculation...

Took it to the dealer today, and they said they could reproduce it but had no idea what was causing it. They opened a ticket with BMWNA, but don't expect to hear back till next Thursday...

Any ideas?

Last edited by MonacoTT; 12-28-2007 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

Not sure it's the same noise but I also started getting a rattling noise after I installed my full exhaust, it only comes on at certain RPM. I found out the noise is coming from the slider of my seat to the braket. At certain precise RPM that certain location will start rattling. I applied some dynamat around it and try to realign it. It help a little but unfortunately it started rattling just so slightly just recently, will try to work on it again. Hope you find your solution soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

my car is stock.
i noticed a rattling sound around 1500 to 2200 or so.
the noise appeared to be comming from the engine compartment.

noise duplicated on another car in the shop, puma case opened and not addressed.

returned to dealer 4 months or so later and they couldnt duplicate the noise ??? WOW the technician also had a manual 335i with the rattle... when i picked up my car the rattle was gone ???? hasnt returned.

only thing that has changed is the cold North east weather.

fwiw shop stated it was a harmonic problem with the transmission and wouldnt affect anything.

no further action taken at this point.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
MonacoTT
Private First Class
Rep

For for the replies guys.

Yeah I'm hoping its something harmless.

Still annoying nonetheless. I'm taking it in to a different dealership tomorrow. Will let you know if they find anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

Could it be a heat shield on the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
MonacoTT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmye90 View Post
Could it be a heat shield on the exhaust?
Sounds likely... hard to say. Wish I had a hydralic lift of my own so I could check it out.

Didn't get to to into the dealer just yet, but I will ask them to check the heat shields as well, maybe add some of that felt tape they use to stop rattles.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
csupernova
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I can heard rattle noise when my engine is idling. Damn annoying!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
FNV
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330xi

I had the same noise...and after numerous attempts by the dealer to fix it, they were unsuccessful. They said it was the heat shield...anyway long story short I took the car to a different dealer and they said it was the exhaust brackets that was making the rattling noise....I'm still waiting for them to come in...and yes once the cold weather hit the noise was gone.
It seemed it only happened when it was really hot or driving through the drive-thru...rattling noise was audible from the noise bouncing off the wall.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymu View Post
Not sure it's the same noise but I also started getting a rattling noise after I installed my full exhaust, it only comes on at certain RPM. I found out the noise is coming from the slider of my seat to the braket. At certain precise RPM that certain location will start rattling. I applied some dynamat around it and try to realign it. It help a little but unfortunately it started rattling just so slightly just recently, will try to work on it again. Hope you find your solution soon.
+1 on that ... the same problem here
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
MonacoTT
Private First Class
Rep

Went to the dealer today. They told me the problem is the wastegate on one of the turbos.

They are waiting for a response from engineering on the east coast, and may or may not replace both wastegates (he said even a possibility of replacing the turbos? Sounds like overkill to me, but hey, free new turbos sounds great).

Will let you know how this went.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
3thirty5
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have a rattling issue was well, but mine seem to be coming from inside the cabin, and it only happens between 2000-3000rpm under moderate to hard acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

guys, any update on the 1100-2200 RPM rattle? i have an e90 330i, so i know it cant be a wastegate; i was thinking that perhaps its exhaust related. its very intermittent, and sounds somehwat like a ratchet being spun quickly...
      09-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #13
mtn335xi
Nav, Prem, CAccess, Step, looking at perf options
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Sparkling Graphite

I think I have the same rattle. It seems to come from right under the i-drive area. Rattles at idle and acceleration. Is it exhaust? How did you guys fix this? Dealer?
2007 335xi, Sparkling Graphite, Nav, iPod, Prem, Comfort Access, Cold weather, 20% 3M Tint, Clear Bra, 19" Beyerns, JB3 1.1, BMS Dual Cone, CF M3 hood, M-tech sides, CF M3 rear spoiler, M bumper, CF front lip, smoked corners and lens
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #14
fuzzy123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
at a certain rpm i get rattle/vibration here::

GIAC Stage 1 Flash| Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Bootlid | KW Variant 2 | RPI Scoops | BMS DCI | Eisenmann Race | Synapse BOV | 35% Tint | Aero Lip | 6000K HID Headlights & Fogs | PIAA Angel Eyes | Clear Bra | RR Catch Can
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
down boy
Hobo Whisperer
Rep
Drives: 330i

Metallic spinning sound

I heard a metallic rattling/spinning today from the undercarriage. It was loud and lasted for several seconds. I had only been driving for a few minutes at low speeds. It sounded like a metal trashcan lid spinning to a stop, or like a metal wire being dragged underneath the car. I was on a quiet road so I pulled over and quickly looked underneath to see if I was dragging something and didn't see anything, but I might have missed it because I just gave it a quick look. Then, when I got back in and drove again, it sounded as if whatever was dragging dropped away and the car stopped rattling. I even looked behind me to see if anything was left on the road but didn't see anything, so I assume it was internal, and not actually something being dragged underneath. Kinda freaky, and I hope I don't hear it again.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #16
two30i
Original Gangster
United_States
Rep
Drives: it long and hard

I have the same rattling sound and I took it to the Fremont dealership. The head mechanic did a road test with me and luckily the rattling sound was very audible. Today I received a call from my service advisor and told me that it was my catalytic converter that was making the sound. They're replacing it and I should be getting my car back tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
clspruiell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy123 View Post
at a certain rpm i get rattle/vibration here::

I get the same rattle here. It's very annoying and im not sure how to fix it.

The loud rattle that the OP is talking about might be part of the factory exhaust tune.

I often times get a rattle that sounds like something is loose when i crank the car. I think its a loose pipe fitting somewhere but it generally goes away after start up.
      06-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoTT View Post
Has anyone noticed a rattle/buzz coming from the undercarriage upon engine RPM deceleration. I.E you are up to some high RPM level, and as soon as you decelerate, you hear a buzzing noise that persists as the RPMs drop.

I did some testing tonight, and it persists until exactly 1100 RPM, then stops.

By leaving it in gear and letting go of the gas it will persist longer (as it takes longer to get to 1100 RPM).

The buzz is something akin to putting a baseball card in your bicycles spokes as a kid, but with a more tin-like note to it.

My guess is it is coming from the exhaust piping somewhere, but this is just speculation...

Took it to the dealer today, and they said they could reproduce it but had no idea what was causing it. They opened a ticket with BMWNA, but don't expect to hear back till next Thursday...

Any ideas?
Maybe this is your problem, check out this link http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=exhaust+fix
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Maybe this is your problem, check out this link http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=exhaust+fix
I had this same exact problem... I actually believe it's the bolt that stretches cause mine didn't seem bent at all. I just replaced the bolt and nut at the top and haven't had any issues since.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #20
clspruiell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible

Update: SA called to tell me about my injectors blowing. He investigated the rattle. Its not an undercarriage flap. Guess who needs a new tranny... Me.