E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > cel phone cam

01-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

cel phone cam

I got a ride from my friend yesterday
he setup a neat thing and I am wondering anyone try it before
he switch on his cel phone to camera mode
put the cel in a small holder center position on top of the dash
recording all the traffic condition as he drives
the reason he is doing it because he wants some kind of proof to show ICBC if someone accidentially hit him and alot of time there is no witness available.
can this be a good valid support source to ICBC?
323i, Arctic metallic , Cream beige leatherette interior , Titanium matt trim , Premium , Auto , 18" style 189 sport wheels , 335i bumper + kidney grills, CF pillars, Chrome window trim package , LCI halogen.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanchan View Post
I got a ride from my friend yesterday
he setup a neat thing and I am wondering anyone try it before
he switch on his cel phone to camera mode
put the cel in a small holder center position on top of the dash
recording all the traffic condition as he drives
the reason he is doing it because he wants some kind of proof to show ICBC if someone accidentially hit him and alot of time there is no witness available.
can this be a good valid support source to ICBC?
Was he shooting video or did he have it set to take photographs at intervals? Seems like it would only really be valuable to shoot video, but I'm not sure what kind of cellphone has enough memory to shoot video for more than a few minutes. Plus you only get one angle.

Overall it seems like something that would distract the driver much more than it potentially helps.
      01-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Is your friend that paranoid that he feels that he is always going to get into an accident? I would have second thought about getting into the car with him

Yeah there is only so much a camera phone can hold and the quality is probablly going to be shit and not useful if something did happen. Aiming forward would only record what your friend would hit instead of the more typical rear-enders or T-bones.

If your friend is that concerned, he should set up a mount between the headrests to mount a proper video cam like what the track racers do.
      01-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

my friend has a sony erison and he put a 4gb memory card which can do video for 7 hours.
he told me in certain cases when you past a yellow light and the cop can't nail you for that because you have evidence to show.
323i, Arctic metallic , Cream beige leatherette interior , Titanium matt trim , Premium , Auto , 18" style 189 sport wheels , 335i bumper + kidney grills, CF pillars, Chrome window trim package , LCI halogen.
Appreciate 0