E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > went from jb4 g5iso to cobb stg2+ aggressive st

11-23-2014, 03:24 AM   #1
erwan35
Second Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i e92 n54

Talking went from jb4 g5iso to cobb stg2+ aggressive st

went from jb4 g5iso to cobb stg2+ aggressive st.
ive been using jb4 for 2years for my 335i e92 2007 AT. and i decided to try another tune which is from Wedge performance. so i sold my jb4 g5iso meth kit +fsb and got the cobb v2.
waited a week for my cobb. when i got the cobb today i decided to load the cobb ots stg2+ aggressive st to give it a try to compare with jb4 map2 while i wait for my wedge flash.
and so after ive installed the cobb stge2+ aggressive st. OMG the throttle is much more improved and very powerful!! powerful than map2 is guarantee.. i use ron97 petrol 100% all the time.what makes me happy is the gear change. never in my life thought n54 could shift fast! turns out to be jb4 is not good at gear changes., slow i must say. its a very noticable difference. im very happy with cobb tune itself !
MORE TO COME! IM WAITING FOR THE SUPERFAST MAP FROM WEDGE TOMORROW! IT WILL BE FASTER THAN MY PREVIOUS MAP3 50ADD WHEN I WAS JB4 BACK THEN. BUT IVE SOLD MY METH KIT AND FSB AS I DONT NEED IT WHEN IM USING WEDGE FLASH AND COBB ALONE!
ROOAAAARRR!!
WILL KEEP POSTING FOR REVIEW!!

_______________________________________\\\
BMW 335I E92 2007 RHD 6AT,HYBRID TURBOS,BMS ADAPTER W/ 3.5BAR TMAP,VTT INLETS,JB4 G5ISO W/ MHD FLASH,AEM METH KIT W/ FSB,BMS DCI,ER CHARGEPIPE & TIAL BOV,VRSF C@TLESS DPS,FMIC,BMS OCC,BMS CABIN FILTER,MUFFLER CUSTOM BULLET,97RON PUMP GAS
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Kienvu14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 N54 Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwan35
went from jb4 g5iso to cobb stg2+ aggressive st.
ive been using jb4 for 2years for my 335i e92 2007 AT. and i decided to try another tune which is from Wedge performance. so i sold my jb4 g5iso meth kit +fsb and got the cobb v2.
waited a week for my cobb. when i got the cobb today i decided to load the cobb ots stg2+ aggressive st to give it a try to compare with jb4 map2 while i wait for my wedge flash.
and so after ive installed the cobb stge2+ aggressive st. OMG the throttle is much more improved and very powerful!! powerful than map2 is guarantee.. i use ron97 petrol 100% all the time.what makes me happy is the gear change. never in my life thought n54 could shift fast! turns out to be jb4 is not good at gear changes., slow i must say. its a very noticable difference. im very happy with cobb tune itself !
MORE TO COME! IM WAITING FOR THE SUPERFAST MAP FROM WEDGE TOMORROW! IT WILL BE FASTER THAN MY PREVIOUS MAP3 50ADD WHEN I WAS JB4 BACK THEN. BUT IVE SOLD MY METH KIT AND FSB AS I DONT NEED IT WHEN IM USING WEDGE FLASH AND COBB ALONE!
ROOAAAARRR!!
WILL KEEP POSTING FOR REVIEW!!
Woohoo! I'm currently in process with BQ tuning by wedge and my e50 kill map on rev 3. He's bad ass and the map is amazing so far!
Attached Images

11-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

My take on this is the JB4 is a great product and has great results. I also had it for over two years and it performed well although I never liked how my transmission shifted with the JB4, but the power was there. I just recently switched to Cobb, I used to run it on my Subie's but wanted to read up and wait for ATR to catch up. I believe the community has learned, I believe Cobb has given us access to enough tables to tune effectively and so here we go. My initial thoughts on my initial two weeks of map revisions done by me is, adjustability is great, results are great. I don't see a reason at this point to go back to the piggy. By the way, the transmission shift issue is gone with the Cobb.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Off the shelf Jb4 offers more power than Cobb.
But Cobb is definitely smoother ( also keep in mind that the G5 ISO JB4 is a big improvement in terms of power delivery)
Good luck OP with you custom map from Wedge,they do a great job

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
chepy24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i xdrive

Cobb ftw!!! So glad I went with them instead of the jb for my first and only tune haha
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
Kienvu14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 N54 Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNAT*
My take on this is the JB4 is a great product and has great results. I also had it for over two years and it performed well although I never liked how my transmission shifted with the JB4, but the power was there. I just recently switched to Cobb, I used to run it on my Subie's but wanted to read up and wait for ATR to catch up. I believe the community has learned, I believe Cobb has given us access to enough tables to tune effectively and so here we go. My initial thoughts on my initial two weeks of map revisions done by me is, adjustability is great, results are great. I don't see a reason at this point to go back to the piggy. By the way, the transmission shift issue is gone with the Cobb.
I can definitely agree with you 100%. Loved my jb4 for 2 years, first tune. Felt amazing, power was there but the shift did lack a little. I added the alpina TCU flash to help and it definitely did but still hesitated a lot. Did you or OP ever notice the noticeable lag in gear change from 2nd gear to 3rd while doing WOT? I too recently changed from jb4 G5 to cobb and currently am having Wedge do his magic. The cobb is definitely extremely smooth as far as power and shifting goes. Excited to hop on the dyno once my revisions are finished!
      11-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Since when does JB4 have anything to do with gear changes? Were you running the JB4 by itself or with a backend flash?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

You should really check out some of the more technical boards (rhymes with shmeamer shmoost) or n54 tech to understand what your car is doing with a jb4 vs a cobb flash. Did you ever try jb4 stacked with a backend BB flash?

Any logs to compare the two?

Glad you like the new flash
      11-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt View Post
Since when does JB4 have anything to do with gear changes? Were you running the JB4 by itself or with a backend flash?
The calculated torque output has a direct impact on how the transmission responds. The back end flash uses a low load request and to compensate, they increase the torque divisor which increase the torque output calculation. Unfortunately, in my testing using the divisor to increase torque output has shown to have an adverse effect on timing. The piggyback logging is also incomplete with regard to tuning. A lot of the parameters needed are not available yet and they are working on adding a few more which will make it better.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Always. The transmission takes input from several sources, the JB4 is in the loop and definitely affects transmission performance!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
The calculated torque output has a direct impact on how the transmission responds. The back end flash uses a low load request and to compensate, they increase the torque divisor which increase the torque output calculation. Unfortunately, in my testing using the divisor to increase torque output has shown to have an adverse effect on timing. The piggyback logging is also incomplete with regard to tuning. A lot of the parameters needed are not available yet and they are working on adding a few more which will make it better.
That's if he's running a low load backend flash. That's not the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNAT* View Post
Always. The transmission takes input from several sources, the JB4 is in the loop and definitely affects transmission performance!
By reporting back lower load by about 0.5 psi? I'm sure that makes all the difference :/
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

I just went exactly the opposite way, from Cobb Stage 2+ to JB4 G5 Iso. Both are good products and each have their strong points. I went to JB4 in order to have an integrated meth solution, now learning about all that and debugging hardware issues (slightly sticky waste gates).

I really like the gauge hijacking and in-car map/settings switching, etc. I waited to go to JB4 until they had individual cyl ign data logging capability, which IMHO is very important with things like meth and bigger turbos. So far so good. Hope to go bigger turbo(s) next year, we'll see how it works out.

I have kept the Cobb so far as I may eventually want to try the back-end pump flash, and do not want to mess with the headaches of the various other "free" flash options. Yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
Motorsport.Nick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sedans

I love seeing posts like this!

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
By reporting back lower load by about 0.5 psi? I'm sure that makes all the difference :/
It's a far greater difference than that depending on what map you are running, ambient conditions, etc. Early backend flashes basically copied Cobb load targets which are higher and the results were less than stellar in regards to shifting with my car. Intermittent DCT slipping would occur with shifting. I can only speak for the DCT, but I have seen a big improvement in shifting with a flash only tune. Faster, sharper, crisper all of the time, not just some of the time. I spent a lot of time customizing my own backend flash to improve shifting and I felt like I made some considerable improvements; however, the inability to log actual load made it nearly impossible to get perfect. I believe Terry is working on adding the ability to log actual load and if he does, that should lead to some improvements in shifting when customizing the backend flash.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Welcome to the darkside

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #17
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post

I have kept the Cobb so far as I may eventually want to try the back-end pump flash, and do not want to mess with the headaches of the various other "free" flash options. Yet.
If you get bored, give us a try for comparisons
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #18
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musc View Post
It's a far greater difference than that depending on what map you are running, ambient conditions, etc. Early backend flashes basically copied Cobb load targets which are higher and the results were less than stellar in regards to shifting with my car. Intermittent DCT slipping would occur with shifting. I can only speak for the DCT, but I have seen a big improvement in shifting with a flash only tune. Faster, sharper, crisper all of the time, not just some of the time. I spent a lot of time customizing my own backend flash to improve shifting and I felt like I made some considerable improvements; however, the inability to log actual load made it nearly impossible to get perfect. I believe Terry is working on adding the ability to log actual load and if he does, that should lead to some improvements in shifting when customizing the backend flash.

The JB4 does not vary reported load by more than like 0.5psi. The back end flashes are another story, but those aren't JB4. Don't confuse the functionality of the two.

If you display DME Target and ECU PSI you'll see.

JB4 will keep the ECU blind to the actual load if it goes beyond the target load in the map. This may be the point of confusion here, however if you flash a map with proper load targets, you won't have this problem.

If you're not running meth, or don't care about gauge hijacking and the ability to control boost and other features from the steering wheel, then you don't need the JB4. If you want to use it for those features, all you need is a proper map with load targets in the range of what you're actually running. However, that won't help move cobb units

Last edited by nyt; 11-24-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

All this hype in this thread gonna make me break another driveshaft and go on a really strick diet to pull off another record
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
All this hype in this thread gonna make me break another driveshaft and go on a really strick diet to pull off another record
I'll drive for ya and I weigh a good 80lbs less then you.

I'll need a place to stay in Florida though for my vacation.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #21
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
The JB4 does not vary reported load by more than like 0.5psi. The back end flashes are another story, but those aren't JB4. Don't confuse the functionality of the two.

If you display DME Target and ECU PSI you'll see.

JB4 will keep the ECU blind to the actual load if it goes beyond the target load in the map. This may be the point of confusion here, however if you flash a map with proper load targets, you won't have this problem.

If you're not running meth, or don't care about gauge hijacking and the ability to control boost and other features from the steering wheel, then you don't need the JB4. If you want to use it for those features, all you need is a proper map with load targets in the range of what you're actually running. However, that won't help move cobb units
I believe the JB4 alone was 1/3-1 psi but who actually runs a JB4 by itself anymore? Even BMS advocates their backend flashes for 91/93 octane cars with their pump flash.

The problem is the load targets in the OTS backend flash aren't suitable for every application. I had mine dialed in about as good as I can get them and sometimes the shifting was still hit or miss. It would be much easier to determine proper load targets if actual load was logged instead of trying to estimate load based off PSI. As you know load isn't fixed for a certain psi. It varies based on ambient conditions.

Last edited by musc; 11-24-2014 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #22
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musc View Post
I believe the JB4 alone was 1/3-1 psi but who actually runs a JB4 by itself anymore? Even BMS advocates their backend flashes for 91/93 octane cars with their pump flash.
Just saying you can get a proper flash without having to switch.
Appreciate 0