E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine/Transmission Mount Upgrade, WHO HAS IT?

12-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Engine/Transmission Mount Upgrade, WHO HAS IT?

At 40k miles and after half of dozen of track days, I am thinking of changing up the stock motor mounts and perhaps the transmission mounts as well. They are not leaking or anything yet, but I been noticing some some rub on the subframe from the downpipes even though they have almost 1/2" of clearance...

Choices are:
- 335is driver side mount (supposedly stiffer than standard mounts), funny thing is that 1M still uses the old standard p/n instead of the IS p/n... So not sure how much of an upgrade can they be...

- AKG 75D Bolt through mounts (http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...Trans%20Mounts)

- PTF/Motiv Solid engine mounts

So the questions are who has them done. Any noticeable improvement, how about daily street driving? How big of increase in NVH are they?

Transmission mounts are plenty of to choose from. I probably would go with the UUC black with mount cage (http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2702573/)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Recommended for autocross or race use only

Tells you all you want to know, get the 35is mount and call it a day.

They also don't have to be leaking to be worn, mine weren't.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
APTF
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

We have had numerous customers report no NVH with our engine and transmission mounts.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I've read in a few other threads where someone brought up the point that it would probably be necessary to go with an aftermarket harmonic balancer when going with solid mounts. Not really sure where to start with that, but it certainly is an interesting point to consider.

Thoughts on that PTF? Also, are your mounts still being made? Didn't see them on the website.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Well, I reached out to Jake@Motiv a while ago about their mounts. He mentioned it might be rough for DD... If someone has a cold start video from the interior of their car, it will probably clear things up a bit. N54 and N52 are some of the smoothest engines out there, so it might not be so bad, I hope... The AKG ones is a bolt through design, so it is essentially a solid mount...

If not, I might just go with the is mount and call it a day. It is just sucks that there aren't that many options out there to choose from, unlike the M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Solid motor mounts are gunna rattle...It is what it is.

I've run poly Rogue mounts for the transmission for at least a year, and it didn't introduce anything annoying. Obviously, a different ballgame than solid mounts though.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post

I've run poly Rogue mounts for the transmission for at least a year, and it didn't introduce anything annoying. Obviously, a different ballgame than solid mounts though.
+1

I have had the re trans mounts for about a year and a half now, no increase in nvh.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
The Convert
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have the PTF/Motiv solid motor and trans mounts and barely noticed anything until I put the twin disc clutch in...now it's rattle city, but a lot of it might clear back up with different trans fluid. Although, with the OEM flywheel I had a nasty vibration after the mounts under 1000rpms. Not sure what to make of it since it went away after the twin disc install.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Convert View Post
I have the PTF/Motiv solid motor and trans mounts and barely noticed anything until I put the twin disc clutch in...now it's rattle city, but a lot of it might clear back up with different trans fluid. Although, with the OEM flywheel I had a nasty vibration after the mounts under 1000rpms. Not sure what to make of it since it went away after the twin disc install.
Good to know. Mine is an AT, so it might be different. But I think a lot of it might have to do with engine load and clutch engagement for a MT. Still curious to hear if anyone has a solid mount on a AT car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post

+1

I have had the re trans mounts for about a year and a half now, no increase in nvh.
I have re mounts also, I didn't notice anything at first either, but after a couple weeks I noticed slight increase in nhv at high revs (on a manual). Nothing drastic. This on on a 100k mile car with otherwise stock original suspension parts.
      12-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
Don't go with solid mounts. Need convincing? Come over and go for a ride in my E30 track car w/ solid mounts. You wouldn't even consider them for a DD.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
pobudz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I have the solid MOTIV motor mounts and UUC semi sold trans mounts. Lots of NVH, but I found out when doing the twin disk that my OE clutch was exploded, so I'm attributing some of the NVH to that. In fact... very similar to "The Convert" and his description.

You can hear a lot more engine noise with the solid mount, but it really isn't bad. I have straight pipes and all of the M3 bushings, 335is guibo, etc. so what I experience is probably not the norm.

I'll find out in about an hour how the twin disk differs from OE setup.
IG @pobudz | '08 e92 335i - MOTIV 750 w/ PI & AEMMHD tuned, tial bov, ER cp, ADE "800HP" fmic, Corsa 3.5" catback, m3 suspension bits (F&R sway, F&R control arms), rogue toe arms, MOTIV motor mounts, UUC trans mounts and RTD shifter. H&R sports and Koni's, 17x9/17x10.5 Forgestar F14 w/ Mickeys. Quaife 3.08 LSD, M3 subframe and diff bushings. MOTIV Twin disk. Fuel-IT Stage 3+.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
The Convert
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Don't go with solid mounts. Need convincing? Come over and go for a ride in my E30 track car w/ solid mounts. You wouldn't even consider them for a DD.
Totally different car and engine. So, your opinion is kind of baseless for this platform. I seriously barely noticed a difference when I installed mine. The N54 is retardedly smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobudz View Post
I have the solid MOTIV motor mounts and UUC semi sold trans mounts. Lots of NVH, but I found out when doing the twin disk that my OE clutch was exploded, so I'm attributing some of the NVH to that. In fact... very similar to "The Convert" and his description.

You can hear a lot more engine noise with the solid mount, but it really isn't bad. I have straight pipes and all of the M3 bushings, 335is guibo, etc. so what I experience is probably not the norm.

I'll find out in about an hour how the twin disk differs from OE setup.
I'm interested in your review. I have OEM suspension still, but did do the 35is guibo and UUC DSSR with a shiftek shifter when I put my twin disc in. Overall, I really like it, but wish it had less chatter.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
pobudz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Convert View Post
Totally different car and engine. So, your opinion is kind of baseless for this platform. I seriously barely noticed a difference when I installed mine. The N54 is retardedly smooth.

I'm interested in your review. I have OEM suspension still, but did do the 35is guibo and UUC DSSR with a shiftek shifter when I put my twin disc in. Overall, I really like it, but wish it had less chatter.
Updated my main thread...but I'll have a go here too. I have less noise with the twin disk than OEM, mostly because my flywheel was exploded. Twin disk fixed 3rd/4th gear binds, accordion effect and high RPM NVH. Car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Oh, and stock pedal feel!
IG @pobudz | '08 e92 335i - MOTIV 750 w/ PI & AEMMHD tuned, tial bov, ER cp, ADE "800HP" fmic, Corsa 3.5" catback, m3 suspension bits (F&R sway, F&R control arms), rogue toe arms, MOTIV motor mounts, UUC trans mounts and RTD shifter. H&R sports and Koni's, 17x9/17x10.5 Forgestar F14 w/ Mickeys. Quaife 3.08 LSD, M3 subframe and diff bushings. MOTIV Twin disk. Fuel-IT Stage 3+.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #15
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

N54 is stupidly smooth in comparison to all other engines I have driven over the years. Before the exhaust, I often find myself forgetting to shift up just because the lack of vibration feedback from the engine (always been driving it in M mode since the first day). So it is good to hear that MT guys are pretty happy with the solid mounts.

Still worrying about the nvh at idling for an AT, since the engine is constantly under load unles you shift into N or P, which would be a pain to drive in the city. Someone gotta have these on an AT...
Appreciate 0