THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 3rd tire and bent rim. where to buy OEM rims?

03-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

3rd tire and bent rim. where to buy OEM rims?

I searched online and cannot find where to buy or find out the price of an OEM 18' m sport wheel.

Replaced a new tire yesterday but the car shakes a bit when going 60+ mph

going to confirm if the rim is bent at the dealer this week. BMW rim repair is 850 bucks. Wondering if its cheaper/more cost efficient to buy a new rim.

Anyone know of any online source to buy OEM xdrive m sport non staggered and non m brakes wheel?

Thanks,

Roman
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

The OEM rim should only be $400-500. I know because my dealer bought me two rims after a bit of a fight over the square vs staggered setup I thought I was getting.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Are you sure $850 USD for rim repair ?
Probably dealer is only source for OEM wheel, you can call different dealers and advertising dealer parts department's on this forum for discounts.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
Jasond13
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman G View Post
I searched online and cannot find where to buy or find out the price of an OEM 18' m sport wheel.

going to confirm if the rim is bent at the dealer this week. BMW rim repair is 850 bucks. Wondering if its cheaper/more cost efficient to buy a new rim.

Anyone know of any online source to buy OEM xdrive m sport non staggered and non m brakes wheel?

Thanks,

Roman
http://parts.bmwofbridgewater.com/default.aspx

You have different size on back and front . Front #36117845870 , back #36117845871
But your tires are the same size all the way around because of the xdrive

Don't buy anything from you local dealer they are crooks. I bought a rim from brigedwater recently to have a spare. It was like $370 + shipping not bad they have any part you need for your car.

I have had a rough time with these shitty runflats they are the worst tire I have ever had. I blew the sidewall out on 4 of them 3 in 2 days I just can't be stranded no more I took them off and put Michlen PS A/S 3s on and what a difference. I also carry a spare now and a jack. I pressed the SOS button for help and they could not get a tow truck till 4 plus hrs later and the dealer could not even fix my car that day anyways nor did they have any loners. They should really rethink the spare tire thing because it really important to have. Bad idea BMW at least give us a donut.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

Also go to a third party tire place and get the tire mounted for $15 bucks
But your tires from tire rack they are much cheaper
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasond13 View Post
http://parts.bmwofbridgewater.com/default.aspx

You have different size on back and front . Front #36117845870 , back #36117845871
But your tires are the same size all the way around because of the xdrive

Don't buy anything from you local dealer they are crooks. I bought a rim from brigedwater recently to have a spare. It was like $370 + shipping not bad they have any part you need for your car.

I have had a rough time with these shitty runflats they are the worst tire I have ever had. I blew the sidewall out on 4 of them 3 in 2 days I just can't be stranded no more I took them off and put Michlen PS A/S 3s on and what a difference. I also carry a spare now and a jack. I pressed the SOS button for help and they could not get a tow truck till 4 plus hrs later and the dealer could not even fix my car that day anyways nor did they have any loners. They should really rethink the spare tire thing because it really important to have. Bad idea BMW at least give us a donut.
How is it driving with a spare? Im assuming its a fullsize spare rim and tire?

We don't have a space to put the tire so do you just leave in the trunk and secure it?

I never usually have anything in the car anyway so im also debating this option.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

I don't care it takes up most of my trunk but I need that piece of mind. If I need the space I will take it out temporarily.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep

Hows the ride/quality and aggressive driving? how do they handle being thrown into a corner?

Im reading reviews on them.

Did you go with these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Clar=M%20Sport

or these:

Thanks,

Roman
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

what kind of machine did they use to balance the wheel? it may be a poorly balanced tire/wheel. I typically prefer shops that use the Road Force balancing machine.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
what kind of machine did they use to balance the wheel? it may be a poorly balanced tire/wheel. I typically prefer shops that use the Road Force balancing machine.
Professional static balence machine I would not go to some backyard shop I live in NY there are plenty of reputable shops here.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hows the ride/quality and aggressive driving? how do they handle being thrown into a corner?

Im reading reviews on them.

Did you go with these:

or these:

Thanks,

Roman
These are both the same and yes this is what I got I only have 100 miles on them they are a bit noisy at first but I can feel and hear they are starting to brake in. They really do take the road so much better even all the little bumps.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #12
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep

I went to a place here in Brooklyn, maybe its shaking because of bad balancing, I really hope so, but most likely the wheel is bent. I cant believe they wouldn't see it when mounting a tire...isn't there some kind of balancing needed to be done when mounting a tire?

Can a new tire that has been installed and driven on for a few miles be taken off and re installed?

I'm thinking before going to the dealer for them to check, go to a shop where I stalled a run flat before and have them re install same tire and balance it? or could they balance it without taking the tire off?

The shaking is mostly at highway speeds and if u didn't know what to look for or a passenger probably wouldn't even notice.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

It all depends on the machine they use. I've had mine balanced at the same place with an older machine (it shook) when we used the road force it was night an day. It's mostly automated with many sensors vs the one that is pretty manual where you have to place the weights as you balance.

Yes you can re-mount... think of how many folks powdercoat and remove/remount their tires. I would just ask the shop what kind of machine was used to balance your tires.

Quote:
I went to a place here in Brooklyn, maybe its shaking because of bad balancing, I really hope so, but most likely the wheel is bent. I cant believe they wouldn't see it when mounting a tire...isn't there some kind of balancing needed to be done when mounting a tire?

Can a new tire that has been installed and driven on for a few miles be taken off and re installed?

I'm thinking before going to the dealer for them to check, go to a shop where I stalled a run flat before and have them re install same tire and balance it? or could they balance it without taking the tire off?

The shaking is mostly at highway speeds and if u didn't know what to look for or a passenger probably wouldn't even notice.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #14
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It all depends on the machine they use. I've had mine balanced at the same place with an older machine (it shook) when we used the road force it was night an day. It's mostly automated with many sensors vs the one that is pretty manual where you have to place the weights as you balance.

Yes you can re-mount... think of how many folks powdercoat and remove/remount their tires. I would just ask the shop what kind of machine was used to balance your tires.
You don't have to remount a rim is bent or not sometimes it may be slightly and it can still be balanced.
Go to a different place make sure they do high end rims. Have them put your rims on the high speed balence and check them. You can also see if it's bent by looking at the wheel wile it's on the machine by eye.

You must also tell them it's a painted rim to please take extra care with it because it can chip easily when contacted with other metal.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
KesS1000rr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

Thanks,

Roman
Roman, did you replace the front or rear tire? I'm searching all over for an 88Y and can't find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #16
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesS1000rr View Post
Roman, did you replace the front or rear tire? I'm searching all over for an 88Y and can't find it.
My car is xdrive so square tires. 225/40/18
I replaced the passenger front a basically new tire as I recently already replaced it.

none of the dealerships in the area have these tires.....tirerack is the cheapest and the fastest place with delivery next day and insurance included.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #17
KesS1000rr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My car is xdrive so square tires. 225/40/18
I replaced the passenger front a basically new tire as I recently already replaced it.

none of the dealerships in the area have these tires.....tirerack is the cheapest and the fastest place with delivery next day and insurance included.
Ok. Are all your tires 92Y? or just the new one? Or did you have 88Y and replaced with 88Y?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #18
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesS1000rr View Post
Ok. Are all your tires 92Y? or just the new one? Or did you have 88Y and replaced with 88Y?
my oem tires were 92V which is what I replaced it with.

here is the link:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...4VR8CP7ASXLRFT
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #19
KesS1000rr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
my oem tires were 92V which is what I replaced it with.

here is the link:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...4VR8CP7ASXLRFT
hmmmm. ok thanks. Not what I'm looking for. This shit is stressful.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #20
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

Don't mean to be rude but I don't understand what you wrote. He asked

"Can a new tire that has been installed and driven on for a few miles be taken off and re installed" and the answer to that is a simple Yes you can remove a tire and reinstall it.

We may be saying the same thing. I'm recommending for him to go and have his wheels checked. If they used an old POS machine to balance the wheel then my first step would be to take it to a different shop and have them put it on a road force to see if it balances. If it doesn't then I would suspect its bent.

If you are near north NJ give my buddy Jeff a call at USA Wheels in Fairfield. He does high end cars all day. His primary business is reconditioning wheels. at minimum he will give you good advice.

fyi this is the only type of machine i will put my wheels on.

I'm done contributing to this thread too many cooks. Good luck.

Quote:
You don't have to remount a rim is bent or not sometimes it may be slightly and it can still be balanced.
Go to a different place make sure they do high end rims. Have them put your rims on the high speed balence and check them. You can also see if it's bent by looking at the wheel wile it's on the machine by eye.

You must also tell them it's a painted rim to please take extra care with it because it can chip easily when contacted with other metal.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #21
Jasond13
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Don't mean to be rude but I don't understand what you wrote. He asked

"Can a new tire that has been installed and driven on for a few miles be taken off and re installed" and the answer to that is a simple Yes you can remove a tire and reinstall it.

We may be saying the same thing. I'm recommending for him to go and have his wheels checked. If they used an old POS machine to balance the wheel then my first step would be to take it to a different shop and have them put it on a road force to see if it balances. If it doesn't then I would suspect its bent.

If you are near north NJ give my buddy Jeff a call at USA Wheels in Fairfield. He does high end cars all day. His primary business is reconditioning wheels. at minimum he will give you good advice.

fyi this is the only type of machine i will put my wheels on.

I'm done contributing to this thread too many cooks. Good luck.
You don't seem to be rude your just contributing. Let me make it more simple for you. Why would you unmount a tire from a rim unless it damaged or bent in some way? What would be the benefit from that, maybe there's something I'm missing. I have mounted a few tires in my day and when working with high end painted rims you want to keep them off the machine if you can due to risk of damage wile removing or mounting

I told him to personally look at the tire wile it's on the machine because you can easily tell by eye if its bent.

As for the machine if you don't have one of those today I don't know why you would be in business because honestly all high end low profile tires are where the moneys at today.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #22
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

"Why would you unmount a tire from a rim unless it damaged or bent in some way?" I've powder coated my wheels several times and had my tires removed and remounted.

"What would be the benefit from that, maybe there's something I'm missing."
If they find that the wheel is bent then the tire has to come off and remounted. Why would you buy another tire? thats the benefit.

fyi, I was answering his question.

And I disagree that its easy to tell if a wheel is damaged by looking at it while its on the machine. Remember this is happening over 60 MPH. With this machine while its spinning the wheel is covered so not sure how he would look at it while its spinning. Also most shops will not just let you go in the back and troubleshoot your own wheel.

IMO I would start with the easiest thing first and that would be to put it on this machine (roadforce) and have it try to balance it. the machine will tell you if the wheel is "out of round". I'm not telling him to take the tire off I'm suggesting to have it rebalanced and imo that the safest way to go first.

Quote:
You don't seem to be rude your just contributing. Let me make it more simple for you. Why would you unmount a tire from a rim unless it damaged or bent in some way? What would be the benefit from that, maybe there's something I'm missing. I have mounted a few tires in my day and when working with high end painted rims you want to keep them off the machine if you can due to risk of damage wile removing or mounting

I told him to personally look at the tire wile it's on the machine because you can easily tell by eye if its bent.

As for the machine if you don't have one of those today I don't know why you would be in business because honestly all high end low profile tires are where the moneys at today.
Appreciate 0