E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Finned Differential Cover Finally Arrived

03-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Finned Differential Cover Finally Arrived

After waiting 2 1/2 months my finned differential cover finally arrived from ECS Tuning. It had to be ordered out of Germany so I needed to be patient. This Finned Cover is for my 188 differential and I am curious to know if the differential needs to be dropped in order to install this bad boy. I was going to have it installed when I had my LSD installed but I got tired of waiting on it and I was not completely certain it would ever show up.

The part number is 33117516280 and it cost me $120.30 plus shipping.
Attached Images

2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

Trust me when I tell you this, drop the diff.

It is possible to fish the cover up around/through the rear carrier and install it that way, but it will only fit by doing so a very specific way due to the non-symetrical shape of the cover, and the suspension may have to be compressed to a certain position to get the clearance needed as well (I tried so many ways I can't remember what ended up working). The killer though, is that they do not make the gasket for the rear-diff cover anymore, it gets sealed with a bead of Loctite 5970 (I believe). You have literally JUST ENOUGH space to get the cover into position with the diff on the car, and that is with the stock cover, and you need to be pretty acrobatic about doing it without contaminating the bead/screwing up the bead of sealant as you get the cover where it needs to go.

Now I may have missed something obvious that would have made this way easier when I did it with the diff on the car, it wouldn't be the first time. But unless someone else chimes in as such, benefit from 7 or so hours of my anguish and drop the diff to do it. I should also mention I have an E90 328XI, so maybe there is some difference that makes this doable on the non xdrive E92, but if so I'm not aware of it.
Appreciate 1
fazm616.50
      03-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also worth mentioning, if you have a lift and are able to source or make a gasket instead of using liquid sealant, it might be doable without dropping the diff (or considering jumping off a bridge). But it will still be a bit of a task.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaye View Post
Also worth mentioning, if you have a lift and are able to source or make a gasket instead of using liquid sealant, it might be doable without dropping the diff (or considering jumping off a bridge). But it will still be a bit of a task.
I think I have come to the realization the diff must come out. I suppose I should have just waited and had it all done at once, but I wanted the LSD for my first track day, so now I am paying the price. I am aware of the gasket situation as I researched the gaskets in an attempt to determine if this cover will fit. I just ordered the Loctite sealant you mentioned and the three longer bolts this cover requires. I have already replaced the two front differential bushings with the M3 bushings but I did not replace the rear, so this time I will be installing the Powerflex rear differential bushing.

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No problem. The reason I know this? I bought a $3 pump to change my rear diff fluid. The one plastic tube fell right off in the diff when trying to extract the old fluid because it was a $3 pump and I'm an idiot sometimes. Turned a 30 minute job into an entire weekend plus...and learned the valuable information I posted above.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
M-Steep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M Sport

Another point I'll throw in: I put all AKG poly diff bushings in with my LSD install, even though I was kinda antsy about possible/probable resultant noise. Well, it is a bit noisy; gear whine, slight, but noticeable. So I'm split as to pain vs gain with the diff bushings. Just something to think about as you (re)do your install.

Still like that finned cover, though. Hope it fits!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 02:49 AM   #7
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaye View Post
The one plastic tube fell right off in the diff when trying to extract the old fluid because it was a $3 pump and I'm an idiot sometimes. Turned a 30 minute job into an entire weekend plus
Wow, that must have sucked

I will have to replace the pressure converter for the EGR valve as it quacks like a duck and the small turbo doesn't engage because of the given vacuum leak.
I'm just waiting for the drop of one of the bushings into the intake when I lift off the manifold
      04-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
Goboro100
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
After waiting 2 1/2 months my finned differential cover finally arrived from ECS Tuning. It had to be ordered out of Germany so I needed to be patient. This Finned Cover is for my 188 differential and I am curious to know if the differential needs to be dropped in order to install this bad boy. I was going to have it installed when I had my LSD installed but I got tired of waiting on it and I was not completely certain it would ever show up.

The part number is 33117516280 and it cost me $120.30 plus shipping.
Hello I looked at the ECS website and it doesn’t give fitment confirmation. Dose the cover fit all 335D cars?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
drg007
Rep
Drives: 335D

no 335d use 215 diff case
Appreciate 0