E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Software w/ Intake

01-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

Dinan Software w/ Intake

I'm considering getting the software soon and I wanted to pass along some info as well as ask some questions about combining the Dinan software with an aftermarket intake.

1.) I was told free-er flowing intakes like mine (Stett Performance) can add up to a PSI of additional boost to the current stock setup. If I run the Dinan software, I would be running closer to 14 PSI than the 13.2 that Dinan states. I assume this would be acceptable since most run 14.5-15 with Procede. I figured it would be fine, but your thoughts?

2.) I asked my Dinan rep/SA at my local dealership where my intake falls on the warranty of the Dinan chip. He said basically, if the motor blows and you have your intake as well as Dinan chip on the car, you should be covered. He said that unless the intake is throwing lean check engine lights/codes, then you would be SOL. Is this BS? I would hate to pay extra for the Dinan software if my intake is going to be to blame if something happens anyways. Might as well go with an aftermarket chip at half the price at that point.

I know these aren't the most provocative or mind-blowing questions but I feel like if I don't throw it out there and I get the chip and something happens then I can see people saying, why didn't you just ask? So bare with me if these questions sound slightly redundant. I know there has not been much talk of combining the Dinan chip with an intake yet, so I thought it was worth putting up for discussion.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
2.) He said that unless the intake is throwing lean check engine lights/codes, then you would be SOL. Is this BS? I would hate to pay extra for the Dinan software if my intake is going to be to blame if something happens anyways. Might as well go with an aftermarket chip at half the price at that point.
Dinan treats warranty claims like some of the less aftermarket friendly dealers. Bet on Dinan blaming the intake for issue the BMW blaming the intake or Dinan for the issues. Thus a lovely 2k run around.

If you plan on having any non Dinan mods, don't bother with Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
I'm considering getting the software soon and I wanted to pass along some info as well as ask some questions about combining the Dinan software with an aftermarket intake.

1.) I was told free-er flowing intakes like mine (Stett Performance) can add up to a PSI of additional boost to the current stock setup. If I run the Dinan software, I would be running closer to 14 PSI than the 13.2 that Dinan states. I assume this would be acceptable since most run 14.5-15 with Procede. I figured it would be fine, but your thoughts?

2.) I asked my Dinan rep/SA at my local dealership where my intake falls on the warranty of the Dinan chip. He said basically, if the motor blows and you have your intake as well as Dinan chip on the car, you should be covered. He said that unless the intake is throwing lean check engine lights/codes, then you would be SOL. Is this BS? I would hate to pay extra for the Dinan software if my intake is going to be to blame if something happens anyways. Might as well go with an aftermarket chip at half the price at that point.

I know these aren't the most provocative or mind-blowing questions but I feel like if I don't throw it out there and I get the chip and something happens then I can see people saying, why didn't you just ask? So bare with me if these questions sound slightly redundant. I know there has not been much talk of combining the Dinan chip with an intake yet, so I thought it was worth putting up for discussion.

Orentialblue, my suggestion to you is get the info you seek from the horse's mouth. Further, you may find no need for the intake once you get a taste of the performance. Good luck.
      01-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyg View Post
Orentialblue, my suggestion to you is get the info you seek from the horse's mouth. Further, you may find no need for the intake once you get a taste of the performance. Good luck.
I'd make him put it in writing or have Dinan put it in writing, for sure. There would be no reason to take off the intake. It could only help.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I'd make him put it in writing or have Dinan put it in writing, for sure. There would be no reason to take off the intake. It could only help.
Well, if you do I suggest you get the letter from Dinan's HQ and not a lowly SA at an authorized center. You don't want to deal with the SA exceeding his or her expressed/apparent/implied authority.

Regardless, you should remove the after-market intake before the flash to better gauge the perceived benefits/costs of such intake. Consider it the "icing on the cake."
      01-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, if you do I suggest you get the letter from Dinan's HQ and not a lowly SA at an authorized center. You don't want to deal with the SA exceeding his or her expressed/apparent/implied authority.

Regardless, you should remove the after-market intake before the flash to better gauge the perceived benefits/costs of such intake. Consider it the "icing on the cake."
I'd love to, but its too much of a pain.

I'm still considering purchasing the flash, however. $2,400 is a ton of money though. Tough to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to, but its too much of a pain.

I'm still considering purchasing the flash, however. $2,400 is a ton of money though. Tough to pull the trigger.
Why is it $2400, is that inclusive of labor and sales tax? I understand your apprehension, I endured the same "pain" about the newly-introduced product that had yet to be independently verified, but my only regret was waiting so long.
      01-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why is it $2400, is that inclusive of labor and sales tax? I understand your apprehension, I endured the same "pain" about the newly-introduced product that had yet to be independently verified, but my only regret was waiting so long.
Yes, with labor and tax. It's $2,300+.
Appreciate 0