E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth Injecton Question

Closed Thread

01-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Meth Injecton Question

Hopefully O-cha reads this, am sure he knows. Most shops selling meth kits are closed at this time of night and am itching for an answer to my questinn.

I was advised by the guy who did my v2 install to make sure to avoid putting the injection nozzle before the sensor on the IC charge piping. The mechanic I was referred to said that the sensor is a pressure sensor, and would not be shorted out or harmed by the meth. I am wondering if it is detrimental or not now that I have two varying opinnions. Also, isn't there only a little space after the pressure sensor on the IC charge pipe? So where to mount te nozzle? Pre or post sensor? I am worried that the meth spray on the sensor will eventually eat away the plastic.

Oppinions anyone?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I only have one thing to say....

01-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

But I really do need an answer to this...
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh4852 View Post
I only have one thing to say....
I told you VERY COMPLICATED CALCULATION went into that.

It should not harm the sensor, but it does not really matter as you don't really have a choice to put it after it.
      01-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

From jp335i's post on his, dont know if this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp335i View Post
basically this is what I did...
1. tapped factory windshield washer reservoir with injection line.
2. mounted pump and solenoid / sensor assembly behind bumper right under kidneys.
3. mounted injector (375ml) in the output pipe from Spearco Intercooler.
4. mounted variable controller under the cover on drivers side (where brake fluid reservoir is )
5. ran wires across back side firewall and into cabin through the access under the ECU box.
6. Mounted power switch and status LEDs in center console
      01-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I told you VERY COMPLICATED CALCULATION went into that.

It should not harm the sensor, but it does not really matter as you don't really have a choice to put it after it.
That's what I thought. Could always get a charge pipe engineered for this purpose...but $$$...

I guess I will bite the bullet on this one and get it done.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
That's what I thought. Could always get a charge pipe engineered for this purpose...but $$$...

I guess I will bite the bullet on this one and get it done.
No not really, the sensor referred to is as close to the TB as it can get. You cant really, and should not, move it.

BTW I would hold off on meth until it can be done right. Which will probably be never.
      01-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No not really, the sensor referred to is as close to the TB as it can get. You cant really, and should not, move it.

BTW I would hold off on meth until it can be done right. Which will probably be never.
Right. I think I am just going to get it done on the SP Stage 1. I am waiting to pull the trigger. My shopping cart is filled and ready to go .
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

BTW O-cha, why wold you wait for it to be controlled via piggyback if Shiv stated he isn't going to do it?

I don't think there is any harm at all in using meth injection unless it burns out my sensor, which now I doubt will happen. Also, someone I know is spraying nitrous before their sensor and is having no probems.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
BTW O-cha, why wold you wait for it to be controlled via piggyback if Shiv stated he isn't going to do it?

I don't think there is any harm at all in using meth injection unless it burns out my sensor, which now I doubt will happen. Also, someone I know is spraying nitrous before their sensor and is having no probems.
That's not what I'm waiting for. I was pretty sure from the start he wouldn't do it, because well yea. But it served as a nice way to form a discussion.
      01-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not what I'm waiting for. I was pretty sure from the start he wouldn't do it, because well yea. But it served as a nice way to form a discussion.
So is my way to go about it kosher? What are you waiting for?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So is my way to go about it kosher? What are you waiting for?
Well coolingmist and snow performance said they would come out with something.

I wouldn't do it they way you are, but it will work, kind of.
      01-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

How much could I raise my user torque % when I use the injection? And what PSI did you recommend for starting and stopping?(sorry I forgot) Would I have to keep my torque % lower in the lower RPMs?

The kit should work, no? What would your projected gains be? I am estimating 10 - 20whp(including the % torque increase)? Should I expect more or less?

Also, if I threw in race gas, I would gain even more, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How much could I raise my user torque % when I use the injection? And what PSI did you recommend for starting and stopping?(sorry I forgot) Would I have to keep my torque % lower in the lower RPMs?

The kit should work, no? What would your projected gains be? I am estimating 10 - 20whp(including the % torque increase)? Should I expect more or less?

Also, if I threw in race gas, I would gain even more, correct?
Can't really answer any of that because I wouldn't do it and you're asking my opinion. But for the factual things, I would not expect anywhere near 20hp, race gas would give you more but wouldn't amplify the effect of the meth injection if that's what your saying.
      01-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can't really answer any of that because I wouldn't do it and you're asking my opinion. But for the factual things, I would not expect anywhere near 20hp, race gas would give you more but wouldn't amplify the effect of the meth injection if that's what your saying.
*sigh* I bought it. At worst, it is going to help give a denser charge and increase octane of gas somewhat. Will help with the back to back pulls.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #16
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:

is coolingmist and snow doing meth kits specific for our n54??
if yes, any idea when it will be out??

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 08:23 AM   #17
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
if meth injection adds less than 15 - 20 hp, it is not worth messing with IMHO.
[/U]
i am interested in possible water/meth injection only because of the 85 octane "super"
gasoline they have here south of the equator.[/U]
if water /meth can raise my octane to say 91 (from 85) that would be something.

o-cha,

is there any way of knowing how much octane can be gained (use 85 octane
as a starting point) with a good water/meth system??

lastly, some guys say do not go near meth because it is a no no for our car
long term reliabily.....what do you think??

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #18
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
is there any way of knowing how much octane can be gained (use 85 octane
as a starting point) with a good water/meth system??
Methanol has an octane rating of 113. The difficulty is in calculating how much is truly going in. You can try and determine this by using the injector size, pressure run as well as any duty cycle if a progressive system is used. It ends up being a long calculation, but feasible. In the end it will be an approximate though.

There is no easy answer and will be application specific. But you also have to ask, what is the desired benefit of the meth injection; to gain power or to gain consistancy.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #19
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Methanol has an octane rating of 113. The difficulty is in calculating how much is truly going in. You can try and determine this by using the injector size, pressure run as well as any duty cycle if a progressive system is used. It ends up being a long calculation, but feasible. In the end it will be an approximate though.

There is no easy answer and will be application specific. But you also have to ask, what is the desired benefit of the meth injection; to gain power or to gain consistancy.
1/ for me with 85 octane, methane will increase octane = power increase.
2/ at 8,500 feet (thinner air), methane will cool my intake charge = denser charge = more power.

what did captain kurk (star treck) used to say...
...oh yeah, ¨I need more POWER scottie.¨

i assume my 2 assumptions above are correct....
so for me it all boils down to how safe is the chemical reaction of water/meth injection for our motors ???

this point was debated on another thread, and some well known minds could not agree.
fwiw, it seemed like the edge in that debate went to ¨I would not do it, let others do it first...
and only after an extended period of time would it be known how safe it is for our n54.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #20
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post

I will PayPal you $10 to figure it out for me. That or you could post the equation.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

too many questions. Umm about the two people making kits, I don't believe it will be n54 specific. I think it's going to be for all engines like the n54 who can't properly control a spray by boost. I think they will use something to tap into the injectors to determine spray like I've been trying to find. Probably something like what aquamist has but less complicated and hopefully less expensive.

As for the octane, I've heard meth quoted as between 110 octane to 130 octane. Not something I can really test myself. You also need to realize just because it's say 115 octane does not mean your going to get the average between the two. You might get a few points of octane at best.

The best bet to find what it's doing is dynoing and logging ignition timing and intake temps. But that still wont tell you what octane your getting into, that's just not going to happen.
      01-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #22
deck
500whp or bust!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

/me is snoring. O-cha, although i do agree with you sometimes, your posts lately have been under-par.

There are a few threads here about meth injection, 1 that i started when i did mine.
Where do you get off saying it cant be done right? Please do not speak on which you do not know.

-deck
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread