E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > forge diverters springs

02-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

forge diverters springs

Whats up fellas, I recieved the forged diverters..hope everyone whos waiting gets theirs soon too. I wanna install these today, but im a bit confused about the springs. Green is rated 5-15 and yellow is 15-23 according to the paper. Since v2 keeps me in the 14.7-15.2 range which springs should i use? I called forge up this morning and the guy on the phone told me the green was rated to 10 psi and the yellow from 10-20 psi. I dont know which to believe now. All i know is that since our cars land in the middle range between these 2 spring rates, they should have provided us with these spacers shown in the instruction manual so we can fine tune to our specifications. I think ill install the green with which it came with and see how it goes from there, unless someone think i should believe the guy on the phone from forge. He told me to go with the yellow. AAhH i dont knnow....anyone?

Manny
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Use the green ones. I have a PROcede V2.0.2 ( 90% ) tuning only and my car is as fast as an Audi RS4 . Works for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Use the yellow springs. Especially since you bought them (the valves), if you don't I would love to know why you bought them in the first place.
      02-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Use the green ones. I have a PROcede V2.0.2 ( 90% ) tuning only and my car is as fast as an Audi RS4 . Works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Use the yellow springs. Especially since you bought them (the valves), if you don't I would love to know why you bought them in the first place.
I would probably go with what Eugen said since he is currently using them....
      02-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
I would probably go with what Eugen said since he is currently using them....
There's not much point in buying the valves in the first place if you're not going to use a stiff spring. The whole point of the valves is that you can use a stiffer spring to allow for faster on off on boost and a wider range of throttle modulation without dumping pressure. As well as to prevent undesired opening on fast boost ramp.

Unless you bought them just because they are shiny and will last longer, then sure.
      02-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
There's not much point in buying the valves in the first place if you're not going to use a stiff spring. The whole point of the valves is that you can use a stiffer spring to allow for faster on off on boost and a wider range of throttle modulation without dumping pressure. As well as to prevent undesired opening on fast boost ramp.

Unless you bought them just because they are shiny and will last longer, then sure.
Shiny....
      02-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Hi O-cha,

I use the PROcede V2, advice in gereral is to don't exceed 15psi. I also use the corresponding 0-15psi springs in the DV's. I am pretty sure they will not open by accident @ 16 psi. What's wrong with it ? By the way, the factory ones are sized for < 12 psi.

Thanks,
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hi O-cha,

I use the PROcede V2, advice in gereral is to don't exceed 15psi. I also use the corresponding 0-15psi springs in the DV's. I am pretty sure they will not open by accident @ 16 psi. What's wrong with it ? By the way, the factory ones are sized for < 12 psi.

Thanks,
Eugen
Why hello, the stock valves aren't going to just open at 16psi either, here are just a few FYIs for you.

Diverters are not rated by boost pressure they are rated by pressure differential. The stock valves are rated at a 4psi differential. This is to say if there is 4psi more on one side (pressure side or vacuum side which is connected to the manifold, not the dump side) then the valve will open.

Forge springs have a boost rating not because it's how much boost they can hold, any of those springs are capable of holding any psi we could possibly put out as are the stock valves. The boost rating is assigned to give a general idea and is largely based off of opinion. So long as you don't put a spring in with such a high differential that it can't open off boost. (don't think even the red would do this)

Lets say you have a 30psi car and your using a spring with 4psi differential, if you lift your foot the tiniest bit those valves are opening because of the huge differential. If you bump it up you will have more room to lift off the throttle before they open.

This is good because you have more room to modulate without suddenly losing a ton of power, something that will send you into a spin if you're one a road course and can be annoying everywhere else.

There's other reasons too like preventing them from opening during boost ramp and recovery time when going back on boost, but wider throttle modulation is the main advantage.

The green spring will be very much like stock, if you bought them for the bling that's fine.

But, if you bought them because you heard they would help to improve the performance of your car you're going to want to use the yellow spring.
      02-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
e.n335
Austria
Rep

^ Thank you, excellent explanation. Last question: which spring will open faster / more early, the green or the yellow one ? I want as low boost spikes as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
^ Thank you, excellent explanation. Last question: which spring will open faster, the green or the yellow one ? I want as low boost spikes as possible.
If you are referring to the boost spikes seen on the procede logs during throttle closure, those have nothing to do with your engine and are never seen in the manifold. They are also not damaging to your turbo. (This damage of boost backing up through the compressor is only seen if boost builds up for long periods.)

I guess you could say the green will open faster when you go off throttle, but the difference will be in the tune of fractions of seconds. Off throttle applies about 10psi of vacuum to one side of the diverter valve, couple that with the pressure on the other side and it's going to open very very quickly no matter which spring you use.
      02-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
If you are referring to the boost spikes seen on the procede logs during throttle closure, those have nothing to do with your engine and are never seen in the manifold. They are also not damaging to your turbo. (This damage of boost backing up through the compressor is only seen if boost builds up for long periods.)

I guess you could say the green will open faster when you go off throttle, but the difference will be in the tune of fractions of seconds. Off throttle applies about 10psi of vacuum to one side of the diverter valve, couple that with the pressure on the other side and it's going to open very very quickly no matter which spring you use.
Thank you !

Eugen
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone else with these diverters using the yellow spring. I hear whaat your saying o-cha and its def. right. The thing is i read the instructions and it said if you use a tighter spring than necessary it can be damaging to the turbo. I dont understand why they would use these springs instad of giving us springs rate 1-10 psi and 10-20 psi, Since most of the stock cars are running under 10psi, and everyone who has a chip is running over 10 psi. Would have made it easier to know which ones to use. Being on the border like this worries me.

Have a another questions though. Since the yellow ones are rated for over 15psi, when driving normally i rarely go over 10psi on the gauge. Will this be damaging in the fact that it wont open. You only hit 15 psi at WOT, normal driving conditions i never go that high. For some reason i think the green one is the safer bet, this is the one they had installed in the diverter when it came. They also gve me a yellow one and a black one for 3-9psi for running stock. Since the green ones are measured for 5-15 psi, that covers your whole range of driving, No?
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramano View Post
Anyone else with these diverters using the yellow spring. I hear whaat your saying o-cha and its def. right. The thing is i read the instructions and it said if you use a tighter spring than necessary it can be damaging to the turbo. I dont understand why they would use these springs instad of giving us springs rate 1-10 psi and 10-20 psi, Since most of the stock cars are running under 10psi, and everyone who has a chip is running over 10 psi. Would have made it easier to know which ones to use. Being on the border like this worries me.

Have a another questions though. Since the yellow ones are rated for over 15psi, when driving normally i rarely go over 10psi on the gauge. Will this be damaging in the fact that it wont open. You only hit 15 psi at WOT, normal driving conditions i never go that high. For some reason i think the green one is the safer bet, this is the one they had installed in the diverter when it came. They also gve me a yellow one and a black one for 3-9psi for running stock. Since the green ones are measured for 5-15 psi, that covers your whole range of driving, No?
You're still looking at it wrong the psi rating really has nothing to do with anything. "I rarely go over 10psi" right it doesn't mean it needs 15 psi to open, it just means its recommended for a 15psi engine to get a desired amount of throttle modulation and recovery speed. Going more wont hurt your car, it will just give you more throttle modulation. Sure if you went with a spring designed for an engine with 50psi or something there would be a problem with boost backing up.

Anyway way given that you said you rarely go over 10psi, you're not going to see any benefit from the yellow spring as you don't drive in the manner to reap it.
      02-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
There's some good info in here.

Ocha, What's your background?
How did you obtain such knowledge of pressure differential with diverter valves...oh master?

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Google.
      02-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Google.
uh, ya, right.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Why hello, the stock valves aren't going to just open at 16psi either, here are just a few FYIs for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

I'm going green when I receive it
      02-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
bullmrkt
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Sounds like a good rule of thumb may be to run the green springs if you are running stock or a mild tune, yellow if youre running V2, JB2HR etc. I'm running yellow.
1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta 6mt
1964 Porsche 356 C Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #20
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Google.
I knew it!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmrkt View Post
Sounds like a good rule of thumb may be to run the green springs if you are running stock or a mild tune, yellow if youre running V2, JB2HR etc. I'm running yellow.
I PMed mike since he has in the past provided very detailed and descriptive posts when asked. (like book turner posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
I knew it!!!
Yea it was just for you.
      02-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #22
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well i just, finished the install, i went with yellow, and everything seems fine. Sound is a little louder than the stock diverters, and fitment was a pita with the msds cai. My divereters are also touching eachother, dont know if this is a bad thing or not, i hear them dumping fine. Feels like the boost is alot stronger, and my gauge is now going above 15psi effortlessly, unlike before when it hit past 15 sometimes. Im gonna bring the torque values down from 94% to 92% to be safe. I didnt think the diverters were gonna increase my boost, but maybe my stock ones were leaking. Anyway ill take pics tomrrow on the fitment in the daylight. Thanks for the advise o-cha.
Appreciate 0