E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4, Cobb or Proceed on stock wear and tear?

05-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

So I know and have researched most of the JB4 vs. ... forums, and all are usually referenced to which tune "works" better with upgrades (intercooler, meth, oil cooler, chargepipe, etc.)

However, I am looking to get a tune on my stock 335i, just for a minor few HP's around the neighborhood, and which would be the least stress/wear and tear on my vehicle. My questions are which tune would be best on a completely stock N54 and which would be the least stressful on the car? Also the easiest to install and remove? I am leaning towards the JB4 versus the Cobb, just for the lower PSI output (stress on engine) and the on-the-fly map changing... Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Theoretically they all make about the same power on an otherwise stock vehicle. Although there is some argument that a JB4 is faster on an otherwise stock vehicle. I'm not really here to split hairs.

One thing about piggybacks is they typically don't have the fuel control that a flash tune is. One could argue fueling is more important.

Boost really isn't an issue because you can run similar boost targets with either tune if you so desired.

PROcede is pretty much obsolete so it's really between JB4 and Cobb.

If you like the features and price point of the JB4 then that might suit you.

If you like the ideal tuning practice, (IE. Flash Tunes) then I would go with Cobb.

To answer your questions directly, they've both been around for many years on thousands of vehicles with no discernible difference in longevity or stress.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Theoretically they all make about the same power on an otherwise stock vehicle. Although there is some argument that a JB4 is faster on an otherwise stock vehicle. I'm not really here to split hairs.

One thing about piggybacks is they typically don't have the fuel control that a flash tune is. One could argue fueling is more important.

Boost really isn't an issue because you can run similar boost targets with either tune if you so desired.

PROcede is pretty much obsolete so it's really between JB4 and Cobb.

If you like the features and price point of the JB4 then that might suit you.

If you like the ideal tuning practice, (IE. Flash Tunes) then I would go with Cobb.

To answer your questions directly, they've both been around for many years on thousands of vehicles with no discernible difference in longevity or stress.
YES
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Cobb is obviously the easiest to instal and I think it's more sophisticated then jb4 since it's a pure flash and not a piggyback that just tricks the ECU to adding more boost and fuel.

The stage 1 drive maps are very conservative. You'll still put more wear on plugs/coils/injectors and for sure ur chargepipe will go eventually.

You gotta pay to play my friend

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Jb4 pros:
Cheap
On the fly map changing
Lots of cool features
Constant updates and support
Gives you more gains on a stock car than Cobb ( out of the box)

Cobb:
Smooth power delivery
Complete flash that controls boost, ignition and fuel
Installation takes couple minutes

You can go wrong with either tune, it really depends on what your goals are.

My advice, if you are not using E85 get a JB4.
If you are using E85, get Cobb

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #6
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

I was in the same quandry a month or so ago. Not to denigrate Cobb or JB4, but I went with MHD(http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096242). It's brand new and it's an app you install on your Android phone. It is a flash tune like Cobb, except Wedge Performance makes the tunes. Running Stage 1 right now and really like it (full disclosure, I have no experience with Cobb or JB4). I don't know if it does map changes on the fly because I didn't care about that. In summary:

1. It is a google app so it will stay with your phone/email, no matter which droid you own
2. Runs like Cobb...except the HW is your phone
3. Doesn't require hardware install like JB4 but BMS is providing MHD backend flash maps to work in conjunction with it
4. Full stage 1 package with monitoring is only $220. (you will also need to buy a decent DCAN cable and OTG cable for your phone if you don't already have these)

Overall, I think MHD is the future of how this will be done.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I have many customers who point out to me they want on the fly map switching with the primary purpose of saving MPG and not putting "wear and tear" on the car.

The truth is, if you drive normal on a tuned map, it's the same as driving normal on a stock map. It's only at heavy throttle will things be different as there you will have the increase in boost/power.

The on the fly map switching was designed so you could easily switch maps for modification changes or octane changes.

For example, if you were to drive to the track on pump gas and fill up with 100 octane you could easily switch to a higher octane map to reap the benefits. It's not to be used to change from a stock map to go to work and then when you are feeling frisky on the way home to change to a tuned map.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
ilicboris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi

When you guys say that "smooth power delivery" is a feature of the Cobb tune, what does that mean for JB4? Not smooth so it's not as good? I have Dinan stage 1 flash that came with the car and I'm going to get a new tune. Every part of me leans towards JB4 and I hear that Cobb has stopped support for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
So I know and have researched most of the JB4 vs. ... forums, and all are usually referenced to which tune "works" better with upgrades (intercooler, meth, oil cooler, chargepipe, etc.)

However, I am looking to get a tune on my stock 335i, just for a minor few HP's around the neighborhood, and which would be the least stress/wear and tear on my vehicle. My questions are which tune would be best on a completely stock N54 and which would be the least stressful on the car? Also the easiest to install and remove? I am leaning towards the JB4 versus the Cobb, just for the lower PSI output (stress on engine) and the on-the-fly map changing... Thanks guys
Either JB4 on Map1 or Map5 or COBB on Stage1. One advantage on a stock car goes to the JB4 in terms of the ability to use the auto-tuning map5 which will pick the best / safest settings based on ambient, octane, etc.

If the JB4 install is too much then the advantage goes to COBB. You will be happy with either.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post

Is your car still under warranty??
I chose Cobb because my car was CPO when I got it and has extended warranty up to 2017 or 136K miles. Cobb is easy to remove roadside without any tools while waiting for a tow.

I did it twice, once when my fuel pump quit and once when my water pump quit.
I was able to remove the tune before the tow truck arrived to take my car to the dealer. YMMV
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0