E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Secondary Cats replacement

02-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Secondary Cats replacement

Hello Guys,
I'd like to ask if anyone knows a nice replacement for the secondary cats.
I was thinking to replace the secondary cats with HFC (i.e Sport Cats) but I cant find anyone selling those.

I apreciate your input...

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
fotiki
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 Step-JB3-K&N-Scoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
Hello Guys,
I was thinking to replace the secondary cats with HFC (i.e Sport Cats) but I cant find anyone selling those.

go the catless way (UR - BORLA - MILLTEK - ...) Don't be a pussy
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Red Sedan

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No way...

There is no possibility to F*** up with enviroment in order to achieve a few hp more. Yes I'm willing to use HFC but not to completely remove primary and secondary cats...This is a crime.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
DreX3M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97-X3M Competition

Quote:
No way...

There is no possibility to F*** up with enviroment in order to achieve a few hp more. Yes I'm willing to use HFC but not to completely remove primary and secondary cats...This is a crime.
Get HFC for your primary and replace the 2nd cats with reasonators. You'll still be doing your bit for the environment while freeing up the restrictions in your exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
No way...

Panoz,
I agree with you.
I'm looking at removing the primary cats by installing the catless Riss Racing downpipes for faster spooling of the turbos and cooler engine bay temperatures. For the secondary cats, I plan on replacing them with High Flow aftermarket items such as Metal'Cats from :http://www.psiproducts.com.au
I will retain the rest of the standard exhaust if there is no power to be gained.
      02-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
No way...

+2
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
No way...

If you don't want to hurt the enviroment at all, maybe you should drive around in a bicycle or a horse!! lol
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
If you don't want to hurt the enviroment at all, maybe you should drive around in a bicycle or a horse!! lol
Horses release methane....lol

Honestly though if you are so worried about the environment you should buy a hybrid or something....
      02-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
shyestsparks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan, 02 Altima VQ35DE-T

Smile

Quote:
Hello Guys,

Vibrant performance makes metal substrate high flow cats; here's a picture, looks similar if not the same as what UR is using. I hope this helps.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyestsparks View Post
Vibrant performance makes metal substrate high flow cats; here's a picture, looks similar if not the same as what UR is using. I hope this helps.

Note : This is not a stab at Vibrant Performance as their Cats may comply. This is only a generalised warning as to what other brand names may be out there !
Tread carefully when looking at replacement catalytic convertors for your street legal ride. Not all brands comply with current emission laws and fail gas emission tests.
Metal'Cat certainly do comply.

As quoted from their site:

" The success of the Metal Cat™ has spawned copies and imitations that you the end consumer need to be educated about . These illegal and inferior products are in most cases Chinese cores being pitched at what seems a discounted price leveraging off the Metal Cat™ name. Others are USA biscuits , manufactured in China that do not even pass archaic emission laws which are short production run for cowboys companies stamping a ‘cool sounding logo’ on the cat. These companies have no interest in meeting emissions and pluck flow figures out of the sky that always seem to defy physics. They then import and sell direct to the uneducated end user lying the whole way through the sale.
We encourage you to 'TRY" find the approval number [emissions] stamp on the body of their catalytic converter. You won't as it does not exist, as they are ILLEGAL. Why not as an exercise call them and ask them to fax you through their EPA/CARB/Euro test results from manufacturing factory.

How to Spot a Fake

-Unless the name of the catalytic converter is one you recognize immediately ,it would be a re-branded Chinese biscuit in most cases. There are very few catalytic converter manufacturing companies worldwide.

-Google the name of the cat converter , it's claims and see what results you get.

-Request the manufacturer to prove their emissions claims and provide you with the test table done FROM the factory that manufactured it.

-Request what exhaust companies actually use that cat in their exhaust fabrications.

-Ask the distributor of the cat to put in writing on their letterhead , that their cat will pass emissions. "

Look here for further info and what you should be looking out for on the cat itself :
http://www.metalcat.com.au/
      02-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #12
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre335 View Post
Get HFC for your primary and replace the 2nd cats with reasonators. You'll still be doing your bit for the environment while freeing up the restrictions in your exhaust.
Now that was funny.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No way...

There is no possibility to F*** up with environment in order to achieve a few hp more. Yes I'm willing to use HFC but not to completely remove primary and secondary cats...This is a crime.
I hear you bro. Global warming has been kicking my ass here in Michigan this Winter. Coldest weather in years.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

THats strange shouldn't global warming be the exact opposite...Here in New York this winter we haven't even seen a trace of snow in Manhattan!!! Now thats global warming!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #15
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
THats strange shouldn't global warming be the exact opposite...Here in New York this winter we haven't even seen a trace of snow in Manhattan!!! Now thats global warming!!
That is call thermal dynamics. Has it been very cold?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 01:45 AM   #16
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Hello Guys,

There are all kinds of cats you can use:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10251_-1_10245
      02-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #17
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks Sambonator.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #18
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Doesn't Magnaflow make one?

EDIT: I suppose they do as pointed out by Sambonator's link. I'm planning on going the catless DP route with HFC secondary to keep engine temps down and was looking at the Magnaflow myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #19
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

I was checking out the stock secondary cats. They are very large, at 16 inches circumference, 5" diameter. Unless you're going to go with a larger diameter exhaust system (stock is 2.25"), the stock secondary cats are about the best flowing catalytic converters you can get.
      02-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #20
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
random technology cat.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 03:13 AM   #21
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre335 View Post
No don't replace your primary cats, remove them and keep the secondary cats. Or even better remove primary and replace secondary with HFC.

Primary cats are the lose. You'll be raping the environment for the first few minutes of warming up, but after that you're good.
      02-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #22
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

So what did you end up doing OP?
Appreciate 0