E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N2O intercooler freezer

02-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

N2O intercooler freezer

I am interested in an intercooler freezer kits for my car. With all the numerous cars that I have worked on, I've never done any Nitros setups of any kind. What should I expect if I pair it up with cold air intake and how much difference does it really make? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I saw a TV show messing with one of these they concluded most of the power was made by the intake sucking up the residual cloud of nitrous and not the fog actually cooling the IC. They ended up routing the intake away from the nitrous cloud and it showed little to no gain.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
^ That pretty much hit the nail on the head.

A friend of mine with a turbo s2k gained 30whp on a dyno when spraying his intercooler, BUT there was a huge fan in front of the car and with the hood up you could actually see that when he was spraying his FMIC at WOT that the vapor was being ingested by the intake (his intake was piped in front of his radiator, right behind his FMIC). The nitrous companies even clearly state that you should only spray the intercooler BEFORE staging for a drag race, and not while actually racing. So, for a street driven car that would be pretty useless unless you are boy racer and like to drag race from one stoplight to another.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l

Last edited by BoostedBMW; 02-11-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I saw a TV show messing with one of these they concluded most of the power was made by the intake sucking up the residual cloud of nitrous and not the fog actually cooling the IC. They ended up routing the intake away from the nitrous cloud and it showed little to no gain.
I've personally seen a SC z3 pick up about 20hp with none coming anywhere near the intake. (AFRs were dead on with the base run, you should know what that means)

Most likely it does carry over to the road. Denser charge will almost always make more power.

However its pricey, even if you use CO2 your still looking at a lot of money since you will blow through it fast.
      02-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I've personally seen a SC z3 pick up about 20hp with none coming anywhere near the intake. (AFRs were dead on with the base run, you should know what that means)

Most likely it does carry over to the road. Denser charge will almost always make more power.

However its pricey, even if you use CO2 your still looking at a lot of money since you will blow through it fast.
Well, I would say he is in the minority. Most people I know have not seen much if anything from it.

My Evo had a mister in front of the IC (a little different execution and probably not as effective but same idea) and even while holding down the manual spray button using alcohol storming down an on ramp there was no difference in IAT.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

This may be an interesting option to a colder intake charge. 165 degrees cooler than an intercooler! Only thing is the small tubes running through the Interfreezer intake looks like it would restrict airflow: http://www.cryofuzion.com/products.htm#Interfreezer

SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugs View Post
This may be an interesting option to a colder intake charge: http://www.cryofuzion.com/products.htm#Interfreezer
A lot of problems with that.

1: It will create a HUGE amount of condensation.
2: If it develops a hole your engine will seize.
3: Restriction.