E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N47 timing chain query

07-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Jimmy-M2OG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f46 220d msport, R56 Cooper s

N47 timing chain query

Hi all, just picking the experts heads here, my work pal has a BMW 120d with the n47 engine, was having a bit of banter with him about our cars, I said I'm glad my car (m47 equipped E91) doesn't have the same engine as his with what with all the scary problems lol eg timing chain issue. He didn't know what I was talking about as he's not really a car guy but on further conversation it turns out his car was making a horrendous noise (tensioners) and he is hardly using it. He promptly phoned bm who said to bring it in ASAP to get the chain and tensioners changed The car was into his local Indy for an mot and service but advised not to change oil as they said it was pointless as bm would drain it while doing the tensioners. The car has been in to bm who have seemingly changed the top chain and tensioners, he then took it back to the Indy for oil change but the Indy garage are questioning what bm have done as they say the engine would need to be dropped to carry the work out and as they only had the car 6 hrs that seems very unlikely, so my question is could bm have done the work they say they have done without dropping the engine?
Sorry for the war and peace post and hope it makes sense lol
Any info would be great
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Yes they can,the chain comes in one length rather than 'linked'.once it's wrapped around the sprockets we then crimp it ie 'relink' it back together.Its only if the lower chain needs done the engine needs removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
vas210
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i chaging to G01X3 30d

As far as I know the bottom chain is the one that needs replacing . I had both chains replaced on my previous car and was an engine out job around 135k miles.
Appreciate 0