E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dreaded Waste Gate Pivot Rattle

07-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
ArcticBimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 Arctic Metallic

Dreaded Waste Gate Pivot Rattle

So I just bought a 2008 Arctic Metallic BMW 335xi about a week ago from a car auction, but I did not realize the snake-like rattle noise coming from the engine until a few days ago. The car is at 92k miles so I just missed the extended warranty on the turbos . Besides replacing the turbos or upgrading to better turbos, are there any other options for me? Maybe purchasing an extended warranty from a third party company just in case the turbos do fail?

Any info or tips would be helpful
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

If the only symptom is rattle and they boost ok, you can redo your vacuum lines, check your boost solenoids for proper operation or replace, then try to tighten the wg arm. I would do all these before getting new turbos.
      07-13-2015, 01:00 AM   #3
ArcticBimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
If the only symptom is rattle and they boost ok, you can redo your vacuum lines, check your boost solenoids for proper operation or replace, then try to tighten the wg arm. I would do all these before getting new turbos.
The turbos seem to boost ok, the cars pulls nice even stock. Thanks for your input ill definitely look into those asap!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

Mine has being rattling ever since I got my mods done, I believe they were rattling already before, but the stock tune and downpipes masks the rattles very well.

Well it has being almos a year and I've since put ~16,000km on the car with them rattling away and so far no issues (got the dreaded boost too low error code at one point but that was caused by a frayed vacum line below one of the vacum can things).

Now I think the rattle gives the car character!

93 R33 Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-II piggyback|3" Turbo Back Exhaust + Highflow Cat|FMIC|Boost Tee|Apexi POD| Shitty Chinese spec tires = sideways action everywhere
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
amond003
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

I had the dreaded wastegate rattle. I searched an found a solution that worked for me. Tightening the wastegate arm on the rear turbo fixed my issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
ArcticBimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amond003 View Post
I had the dreaded wastegate rattle. I searched an found a solution that worked for me. Tightening the wastegate arm on the rear turbo fixed my issue.
Did you do this yourself or did you have a mechanic do this?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Welcome to the club man. Call around your local area. I've found a few Indy shops that can fix it (a temporary fix at best) for you.
Rattling tin cans adding character?? > lol wow
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
matthewo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBimmer View Post
Did you do this yourself or did you have a mechanic do this?
Defiantly try to tighten the waste gate arm on the rear turbo before you spend any money as it will likely make it a bunch better.

It's do able from the top the first time is kinda a pain but now I can do it in like 5 minutes. The biggest thing is finding a tool to turn the arm technically it's like a 4.5-5mm wrench and it's got to only be like an 1.5" long. I made my own with a drimmel tool and a scrap piece of metal. Otherwise you use a 10mm wrench to loosen the hold down nut by turning towards the engine. Then turn the rod away to tighten till most of the slack is out. You can giggle it and it will still have a tiny bit of play in the pin connection point on the lever but still most rattle will be gone. Most people say it takes 1-2 turns.

Oh and use a light to see where you need to put your tools cause you will be working blind. And do it when car is completely cold
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #9
ArcticBimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewo View Post
Defiantly try to tighten the waste gate arm on the rear turbo before you spend any money as it will likely make it a bunch better.

It's do able from the top the first time is kinda a pain but now I can do it in like 5 minutes. The biggest thing is finding a tool to turn the arm technically it's like a 4.5-5mm wrench and it's got to only be like an 1.5" long. I made my own with a drimmel tool and a scrap piece of metal. Otherwise you use a 10mm wrench to loosen the hold down nut by turning towards the engine. Then turn the rod away to tighten till most of the slack is out. You can giggle it and it will still have a tiny bit of play in the pin connection point on the lever but still most rattle will be gone. Most people say it takes 1-2 turns.

Oh and use a light to see where you need to put your tools cause you will be working blind. And do it when car is completely cold
thanks ill definitely be trying this soon.. is there a DIY on this anywhere? a video or some pictures would really help as I do not know much about this car
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
matthewo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

yeah there is a very long thread about it somewhere, as well as I think a video link on the thread. but I don't have the link right off hand
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #11
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176269

Other members have said you can't reach the front turbo but it helps immensely.
I've found Indy shops that are able to do this procedure if vacuum lines don't fix it first

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 07-14-2015 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0