E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > P0303 error and valve cover woes - HELP!

07-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
zeusbap
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi E92

P0303 error and valve cover woes - HELP!

Hi all,

I usually come to read threads, but I don't post all too often. I have a few questions today...

This morning when I started my car, it was running very rough. Within a few seconds of ignition, the "Service engine soon" light came on, and my code reader pulled up a P0303: Cylinder 3 misfire error. It had been running fine the day before, so I popped the hood and noticed a little oil that had come out of the valve cover gasket on the front passenger side. Figured it was time to change the gasket - maybe one of the ignition coils had gotten fouled. Kind of an inconvenience on my daily driver, but otherwise no biggie.

I pulled the valve cover off tonight to take a closer look, and in doing so I aggressively bumped the cover against the engine internals and broke a little plastic piece on the valve cover. $#!%. Pictures have been attached - it seems there are two little plastic parts glued to the valve, and one has broken off. The sealing surface is intact except for a chunk missing on one side. Question #1: is it possible to glue these back together or should I scrap the valve cover and buy a new one?

Finally, when I was pulling off the valvetronic motor, I heard a noise that I can only assume was the spring-loaded gear snapping to a different position. I had read that you shouldn't need to recalibrate the motor for this job, but I think I will need to do that. Question #2: Is the car drivable without this recalibration? There's a dealership near me (half a mile) that would have the proper diagnostic tools to reset it, and I'll drive it over as long as it won't damage the engine.

My next step is to get a new gasket (oil filter gasket and sparkers too while I'm at it), and reassemble. If it still isn't running right, I was going to play musical ignition coils to see if it's a faulty coil. Question #3: Which one is cylinder 3?
Question #4: if I replace one coil, should I replace them all?

Car is a 2008 BMW 328xi coupe. Still not sure if it's the N51 or N52, but I can check the VIN tomorrow if there's a difference here... Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Images

Last edited by zeusbap; 07-27-2015 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
zeusbap
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi E92

About to order parts, anyone have some insight on any of these questions? I'm most anxious about the broken part on the valve cover.
Appreciate 0