E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ER charge pipe installation trouble; Please help

08-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
ER charge pipe installation trouble; Please help

I'm in the middle of installing my ER charge pipe And the area where the pipe is supposed to bolt to the car, there's a big gap and the screw won't fit it.

I removed pipe and tried rotating it, etc and it's still too far.

What am I doing wrong ?

Ps: I'm not done so the clamps aren't installed
Attached Images

Make money, no vacation
Pay cash, don't make payments

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
dgvithoulkas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i 6A/T

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkhorseActual View Post
I'm in the middle of installing my ER charge pipe And the area where the pipe is supposed to bolt to the car, there's a big gap and the screw won't fit it.

I removed pipe and tried rotating it, etc and it's still too far.

What am I doing wrong ?

Ps: I'm not done so the clamps aren't installed
I think you still might have some room to push the CP into the lower silicon coupler. Try putting everything on before connecting it into the throttle body and leaving the screw loose to connect it to the TB. Mine wasn't much of an issue to install, before I went inlets, so I assume yours shouldn't be either as long as there isn't a fitment issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

I ran into this before. Disconnect from the TB and then try to bolt it down but only enough so you can reconnect the CP to the TB again, then tighten it down
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I ran into this before. Disconnect from the TB and then try to bolt it down but only enough so you can reconnect the CP to the TB again, then tighten it down
+1

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
So the screen that bolts it down...fell and I can't find it now ...how screwed am I??

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
This install is the biggest pain in the ass ever..:I've installed most of my mods and by far this is the worst. 30 minute install my ass lol
Attached Images

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
And can I drive the car without it being bolted down?

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
dgvithoulkas
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
You can, and it shouldn't be that much of an issue. I'd recommend taking the time to find it. Save yourself from going crazy later when you start hearing sounds. Check cover underneath, check underneath the throttle body where the connections for the HPFP and LPFP sensor are. If not when you're driving it may move around and you'll hear it hit the brace. I only assume, I never ran mine without the screw.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgvithoulkas
Quote:
You can, and it shouldn't be that much of an issue. I'd recommend taking the time to find it. Save yourself from going crazy later when you start hearing sounds. Check cover underneath, check underneath the throttle body where the connections for the HPFP and LPFP sensor are. If not when you're driving it may move around and you'll hear it hit the brace. I only assume, I never ran mine without the screw.
Well Im slightly parked on a hill right now so I can't jack up the car to look underneath. I have a telescopic magnet that I poked around for 20 mins and no luck.

I finished hooking everything up and cranked the car and revved it up and everything appeared to be ok. The pipe doesn't seem to move under throttle , but I don't want anything to end up breaking later on

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

I got it as close as possible and started tightening the bolt. It pulled itself together, week three now with a FMIC too no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #11
dgvithoulkas
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well Im slightly parked on a hill right now so I can't jack up the car to look underneath. I have a telescopic magnet that I poked around for 20 mins and no luck.

I finished hooking everything up and cranked the car and revved it up and everything appeared to be ok. The pipe doesn't seem to move under throttle , but I don't want anything to end up breaking later on
It'll be in there, somewhere. More than likely at the bottom of the cover. If you're really iffy about it, get some zip ties and secure it down in the meantime till you can grab it or buy another one.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

It'll be in there, somewhere. More than likely at the bottom of the cover. If you're really iffy about it, get some zip ties and secure it down in the meantime till you can grab it or buy another one.
That's actually quite genius...zip ties.
Do you think it would melt though?

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
dgvithoulkas
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I doubt it, I have zip ties holding my VTT Shotgun connectors for the HPFP and they're still perfectly intact.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #14
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I doubt it, I have zip ties holding my VTT Shotgun connectors for the HPFP and they're still perfectly intact.
Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely slide one on tonight.

On the other hand, do you happen to know the name of the bolt that I lost lol?

I'd like to order another one but don't know what it's called

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
dgvithoulkas
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely slide one on tonight.

On the other hand, do you happen to know the name of the bolt that I lost lol?

I'd like to order another one but don't know what it's called
Not sure, you could give ER a call they open at 9AM tomorrow and they may have some in stock. And there's always Home Depot. You can find the correct size from your install guide and go from there
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #16
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

Hey Workhorse, I'll be installing the same charge pipe this week on my 335is and I'm less mechanically inclined than you. Does the ER CP come with those black caps to cap off the diverter valves then? I'm trying to picture how it's all going to go back together. I'm also installing a dual cone air filter set up at the same time.

Can we see a photo of your finished project? Thanks.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #17
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast
Hey Workhorse, I'll be installing the same charge pipe this week on my 335is and I'm less mechanically inclined than you. Does the ER CP come with those black caps to cap off the diverter valves then? I'm trying to picture how it's all going to go back together. I'm also going with a dual cone air filter set at the same time.

Can we see a photo of your finished project? Thanks.
It's dark outside now so tomorrow ill post pics.

I too have the dual cone intake.

So for me, this has been a major pain in the ass. Idk how everyone else does this in "30 minutes" etc but I'm literally on day 2 since I didn't have all the necessary "household tools"the first day.

Make sure you have a T20 and T30 bit as you'll be using those for the MAF sensor and removing the mounting bracket.

And yes, they do come with the caps and clamps for your valves.

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:16 AM   #18
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
So I just took the car out for a drive to see how everything was and feel the new throttle response etc BUT when I was driving down the on ramp to get onto i5 my rubber hose blew off on the lower charge pipe side and since it's not "bracketed on" because I dropped the screw it's now unsealed and causing me a huge pain in the ass.

So now I'm through dealing with this myself and will pay someone to correctly fix these minor issues.

Is anyone located in or near San Clemente, Ca that has installed an ER charge pipe that's willing to fix this for me? I'll pay you for your service.

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:38 AM   #19
dgvithoulkas
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
So I just took the car out for a drive to see how everything was and feel the new throttle response etc BUT when I was driving down the on ramp to get onto i5 my rubber hose blew off on the lower charge pipe side and since it's not "bracketed on" because I dropped the screw it's now unsealed and causing me a huge pain in the ass.

So now I'm through dealing with this myself and will pay someone to correctly fix these minor issues.

Is anyone located in or near San Clemente, Ca that has installed an ER charge pipe that's willing to fix this for me? I'll pay you for your service.
You might want to look at how tight you put on the coupler that connects to the CP. I had that issue a few times before I realized I wasn't torquing it down correctly. I felt like I was going to break the plastic piece underneath so I was hesitant. These need quite a bit of force and if it's popping off with your boost level, even when properly secured it may also pop off.

In either case give it a try.
ER FMIC w/CF Shroud - ER Competition Oil Cooler - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - JB4 G5 ISO - 100%E85 - Alpina TCU Flash - Vanguard Exhaust - Macht Schnell 3' CTLS DP - TFT Inlets - aFe Air Dam - TiAL BOV - Fuel-it! STG3 LPFP - Motiv PI - PURE STG2 - DSS Axles - 717whp/686wtq
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:52 AM   #20
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

I'll piggyback my experience with the ER charge pipe and dual cone filters here in a few days. Fortunately, I have 2-3 very mechanical friends who are naturals with this kind of stuff. I'll be honest about my experience.

Workhorse, how many lbs of boost are you running to blow the end off?

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #21
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

You might want to look at how tight you put on the coupler that connects to the CP. I had that issue a few times before I realized I wasn't torquing it down correctly. I felt like I was going to break the plastic piece underneath so I was hesitant. These need quite a bit of force and if it's popping off with your boost level, even when properly secured it may also pop off.

In either case give it a try.
I'm sure it's because there's a gap between where it's supposed to bolt down and the piece on the charge pipe. I wrapped a zip tie around it and its tight but the angle where the charge pipe is doesn't match up well with the coupler. I'll go snap a picture for reference

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #22
AMG_KLR
Everyday I'm Repairin'
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast
I'll piggyback my experience with the ER charge pipe and dual cone filters here in a few days. Fortunately, I have 2-3 very mechanical friends who are naturals with this kind of stuff. I'll be honest about my experience.

Workhorse, how many lbs of boost are you running to blow the end off?
I'm running between 15-18lbs but I didn't even floor it while entering the highway. Maybe half, If that.

Make money, no vacation

Appreciate 0