THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Break-in

08-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Break-in

Doing PCD in October and driving home to Connecticut. Just curious what the team at the Performance Center have told you all about a break-in period. 1,000 miles of watching the RPMs?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008
Doing PCD in October and driving home to Connecticut. Just curious what the team at the Performance Center have told you all about a break-in period. 1,000 miles of watching the RPMs?
Download the Owner's Manual from the bmwusa.com website.

Break-in instructions are in the manual.

You'll really enjoy the PC...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #3
dfwmods
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
Me personally I think before you have done your first oil change you should follow some helpful guidelines. Vary the RPMS and use some compression braking to help the piston rings seat properly. I would also keep the rpm's below 4500 rpms. Keeping the RPMs below where the torque curve and horsepower curve meet is a good guideline.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Hemisedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming in March: 2016 BMW M235

What was mentioned on Bimmerfest a couple of months ago was about braking in the brakes as well. Most do remember, at least for a short while about breaking in the drive train, but brakes need setting in too. Or, you have like I had on my first JCW Mini, squeaking brakes.

One of the reason I like buying my cars out of state, about 300 miles from here, is that I can break the car in driving back to Des Moines, varying the speed and not stopping during the trip. Then, drive it normally during the week, then take a 500 mile, what I call a breaking mini vacation the next week. By the time that I get back, it's get rid of the break in period oil, and still continuer the 4500 rpm max until 2000 miles.

This procedure has worked for me in the past, and usually gains me both, performance to other similar cars, as well as better mpg as well. Some may say that the new cars from the factory, with all the technology, plus running of the engines before they ever get into our cars, that break in is needless. I disagree, and feel that it has benefited me with my cars in the past. Just my 3 cents worth.
Appreciate 0