E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil in Spark Plugs

08-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Oil in Spark Plugs

E90 N52.

Dealer did change my valve cover gasket about 15K miles ago.

Since the valve cover gasket is already changed, should I just clean the socket and put the new plugs + coil packs in? Or I need to look in to this more?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Just to be clear, is the oil leak above the gasket, as in the bottom of the coil packs are also in contact with the oil, or is it under the gasket on the threaded part of the plugs? Either way, there shouldn't be oil - points to a leaking valve cover gasket (the inner gaskets for the plug holes) or leaking oil rings if it's on the threaded parts of the plugs. I gather you mean the former though, so chances are they didn't do the valve cover gasket replacement properly. I would try to clean out the plug holes as carefully as possible, clean the coils and plugs, refit and keep an eye on it. I wouldn't fit new coils if there is a chance that there is an oil leak! Oil usually kills coils!

Appreciate 0