E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iDrive required for non-navigation settings?

01-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Zagor
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring

Garage List
iDrive required for non-navigation settings?

Hi all.

I'm in the lovely process of speccing a new 330i Touring, and I'm unsure whether I should get navigation or not.

At first I had decided to not get it, because I don't really need navigation and I also think the "fewer buttons equals simpler interface" thinking that produced the iDrive is stupid. However after reading the user manuals posted elsewhere in this forum, it looks like a lot of navigation-unrelated settings are only available in navigation-equipped cars. Things like:

- Intensity of the AUTO climate program
- Individual vent settings
- Parked car ventilation
- Lock after driving
- Locking confirmation signals
- Steering wheel button functions
- Triple turn signal activation
- Daytime running lights
- Pathway lighting time
- Auto headlights sensitivity

Are these accidental omissions from the (preliminary?) non-iDrive manual, or are these settings in fact not available without iDrive?

Also, what is the difference between the "Business" and the "Professional" navigation packages other than the screen size? The sales blurb mentions "force feedback controller" on the Professional nav, what's that? And what about screen resolution, does the 8.8in screen actually show more information or is it simply the same information displayed in a larger format?

Any insight is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Zagor
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Nobody knows?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello

Sorry missed your first post

A couple of those settings can be set in the newer cars without Idrive ( cars built after September 2005), but not all the ones you listed. You need to look at a manual for post September 2005 cars without Idrive

Business Navigation only shows arrows and text, Professional Navigation shows roadmaps aswell
      01-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Zagor
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Ok, thanks!
Appreciate 0