F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run flat vs non run flat trunk space
Extreme Powerhouse

08-31-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
arian19
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Run flat vs non run flat trunk space

I was wondering if I should get run flat when I order 2016 328i. I am under the impression that run flats don’t come with a spare. I am also assuming that the non-run flat tires come with a spare.

So how much extra space is in the trunk?

It would be nice to have a photo comparison between a run flat trunk vs a regular tire trunk, anyone want to take a photo of there trunk?

How hard would it be to switch between run flat and non-run flat, since the trunk is not built to handle a spare.

Also inversely so, if switching from non-run flat to run flat is there any computer mechanisms that are required for run flat tires to function properly?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I'm not sure you can get non-run flats with your new car. There is no spare in any case. You would need to purchase one yourself and just put it in the trunk leaving very little room. I don't have run flats on either of my BMWs and have never had an issue with a flat tire (M Roadster has over 100K). I do carry a plug kit and air compressor (never needed to use either).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
arian19
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

I believe the 18" Light Alloy V-spoke Style 398 Orbit Grey option comes with Non-Run Flat Tires.

So does that mean if I order that option, it won't come with a spare...

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
EJL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arian19 View Post
I believe the 18" Light Alloy V-spoke Style 398 Orbit Grey option comes with Non-Run Flat Tires.

So does that mean if I order that option, it won't come with a spare...
I have that option, it comes with a tire inflation kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

To clarify, you have to order the Track Package to get the go flat tires and as EJL says, it comes with the inflation kit. Otherwise you will get RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Other thing to consider is that you have to get a jack to go with the spare, whether it's space-saver or not. I've put non-runflats on all of my cars that came with runflats originally. I've not had any flats yet, but I do have the "M-Mobility Kit" in the trunk. Aside from that, I also have an AAA membership, which will get you a flatbed tow to the nearest tire repair facility.

Consider also that, when deflated, runflats are good for 50 miles at moderate speeds. When you get to a repair facility, you're going to buy a new tire, because the runflat is no longer safe and nobody wants the liability of repairing one. If your tread is 50% or more worn on the other tire on the other side of the same axle, you're going to buy two. You don't want one new and one worn tire on the same axle due to safety and handling/traction concerns.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

For the most part, a can of fixaflat will solve anything that a runflat would be able to handle, modern tires are extremely tough. And if it's catastrophic enough that it doesn't, most likely a runflat wouldn't work anyway and you'd need a tow. The shredded tires you see on the highway are big rig retreads 99.9% of the time, guys that just let their tires go crazy-bald or have crazy catastrophic failures. The rubber on the inside of tires is pretty gummy so most penetrating objects tend to seal around themselves fairly well, you lose air, but not at a rate that prevents you from getting somewhere reasonably close.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
When you get to a repair facility, you're going to buy a new tire, because the runflat is no longer safe and nobody wants the liability of repairing one.
Not really. I've had run-flats repaired twice now by the local tire shop, no problem. The last tire I had to replace was a Michelin PSS on my M3, and the critical damage was done getting to a safe place to pull over.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
awyongcarl
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport

Just driven my 320d M Sport for 3000km and notice the tire tread (Pirelli Cinturato P7) has been considerably worn, bit and pieces falls off and it looks like I just tracked the car or something. Is this suppose to happen? I know I drove the car to a mountain pass spiritedly but that was only once! I didn't know P7 gets worn down so fast.

Anyway, already planning what tire to switch to when this is worn out. Looks like my option is pretty limited..With the price of P7 I could easily get the Mich PSS for the same size and cheaper which I am very keen on trying but it is not RFT..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
Not really. I've had run-flats repaired twice now by the local tire shop, no problem. The last tire I had to replace was a Michelin PSS on my M3, and the critical damage was done getting to a safe place to pull over.
Really...you had a runflat "repaired", as in a plug put in the tire, and then continued to drive on it, despite the manufacturer warning that they are only safe to drive for a maximum of 50 miles after a complete loss of pressure? I don't know how things are in Canada from a legal standpoint, but no shop I've ever visited will "repair" a runflat tire. In fact, many don't have the proper equipment to mount/dismount runflats. I got rid of mine at 14K miles because I just couldn't stand them any more.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by arian19 View Post
I was wondering if I should get run flat when I order 2016 328i. I am under the impression that run flats don’t come with a spare. I am also assuming that the non-run flat tires come with a spare.

So how much extra space is in the trunk?

It would be nice to have a photo comparison between a run flat trunk vs a regular tire trunk, anyone want to take a photo of there trunk?

How hard would it be to switch between run flat and non-run flat, since the trunk is not built to handle a spare.

Also inversely so, if switching from non-run flat to run flat is there any computer mechanisms that are required for run flat tires to function properly?
I dont think any of the cars come with a spare, regardless of tire type. From what I understand its just a tire inflation kit. Not hard to switch since there is no spare. Lastly, no computer stuff to deal with. Runflats have very stiff sidewalls that allow you to drive for 50 miles. Its essentially the sidewalls holding up that corner of the car when its flat. I have runflats on my 2016 328 because i got a killer deal, however next time around im definitely ditching them for some MPSS (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #12
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Really...you had a runflat "repaired", as in a plug put in the tire, and then continued to drive on it, despite the manufacturer warning that they are only safe to drive for a maximum of 50 miles after a complete loss of pressure? I don't know how things are in Canada from a legal standpoint, but no shop I've ever visited will "repair" a runflat tire. In fact, many don't have the proper equipment to mount/dismount runflats. I got rid of mine at 14K miles because I just couldn't stand them any more.
This is not at all my experience. I had an RFT fixed. I doubt they had to remove it from the wheel as they plugged it but I don't think a tire shop needs special tools for RFT or if they do, most have this equipment. I've used 2 tire shops to remove RFT's and it was not an issue for them. In fact just yesterday I had new go flats mounted and kept 2 of the RFT tires to be refitted at lease end.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
fg9ze
Private
Rep
Drives: 6MT M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
This is not at all my experience. I had an RFT fixed. I doubt they had to remove it from the wheel as they plugged it but I don't think a tire shop needs special tools for RFT or if they do, most have this equipment. I've used 2 tire shops to remove RFT's and it was not an issue for them. In fact just yesterday I had new go flats mounted and kept 2 of the RFT tires to be refitted at lease end.
+1. I brought my car to a tire shop recently because I thought the front right tire had a leak. Fortunately, the tire was fine but the guy did say that RFTs can be repaired if need be. As long as it's done correctly, he said a repaired RFT will work fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg9ze View Post
+1. I brought my car to a tire shop recently because I thought the front right tire had a leak. Fortunately, the tire was fine but the guy did say that RFTs can be repaired if need be. As long as it's done correctly, he said a repaired RFT will work fine.
+1. RFTs can be repaired just like any other tire. The issue with them is if they suffer invisible sidewall damage, which can happen if they lose too much air and/or are run too far after losing air pressure. If that happens then they might eventually fail after the puncture is repaired. Manufacturers, always wary of potential lawsuits, won't tell you that it's OK to repair them in the event that they do fail after being repaired. Shops may say that they can't be repaired because they'd rather sell you a tire than fix one.
This doesn't crop up with non-RFTs, as when they go flat and one continues to drive on them they suffer sidewall damage that's anything but invisible.
The 50 mile caveat is how far you can expect to drive on one that's fully deflated before it totally shreds. Rest assured if you drive it 50 miles, or even 5 miles when fully deflated, it will be toast.
I keep a tire repair kit and pump on board, along with a jack and wrench, so that if I get a puncture I can fix it immediately, before sidewall damage occurs.

Last edited by Billfitz; 09-01-2015 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
flags
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2021 X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Another +1. I had a screw in my run flat recently. A local tire shop did not have the right equipment to remove a run flat, but referred me to another local that that did. Called them up and they stated they would do it. Before I got to that shop, I was at my local Costco. They did it within an hour for $11 bucks. Plug and patch. They stated it is not a problem to repair a RFT up to 2-3 times, depending on location/severity of the puncture.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #16
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Quote:
Well if you have run-flats it's a good idea to use a tire shop that has the equipment and knows how to repair them. And obviously no one should expect to repair one after driving 50 miles on a deflated tire.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

For a complete spare with jack, etc. it's tough to beat the package Bimmerzone puts together:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...0-328-KIT.html

As far as repairing a RFT - I had a dealer patch a tire that had a puncture from a large bolt last winter. I've put well over 5K miles on it since with zero issues.

As stated, run on flat tires CAN be repaired, but the correct procedure is to use a patch plug, not just a standard external plug. It also can't be too close to the edge of the tread (true of all tires). The concept of a 50 mile range on a flat tire is more of a rule of thumb than anything else. If the tire has overheated the interior of the carcass will disintegrate and the tire will be full of rubber dust or small marbles. If that hasn't happened, regardless of miles driven, there's no need to replace the tire.
Appreciate 0