E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Handling mods while keeping the stock granny height

09-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

Handling mods while keeping the stock granny height

Hi people

Just ordered a 5" VRSF FMIC off ebay and once that gets installed it shall end my FBO status for power mods for my car. Currently not interested in messing with E85 mixutres (that shit is basically impossible to find in my area) or bigger turbos, (still waiting to see if any local aussie turbo shops would do their own high-flow option in the future).

With that out off the way, next step naturally falls into the handling department, now the car is used as my daily pretty much 100%, Skyline as backup (might take it to the drags in the future) and I live in a semi-rural area and will be driving on unpaved (i.e. shitty outback) roads from time to time, so I'm not looking at lowering the ride height , currently my car looks like a Camry (height wise) and I like to keep it that way .

The car is a 2007 (pre-LCI) 335i with what appears to have no extra-options ticked apart from comfort acess by the previous owner , so I got the same bumper all around as a poverty spec-320i and some ulgy 17" wheels with 225/45/17 RFT tires.

I'm into the sleeper factor, so would like to keep the 'poverty-base-model' apperance, with that in mind I plan to do the following:

-Replace RFTs with some non-RFT tires, what good performance tires do you guys recommand? the most recommanded tire appears to be MP-SS, however it appears they don't come in a 17" size.

-I read that once you replace the RFT with normal tires, the stock suspension will feel 'floaty' due to them being very soft to compensate the stiffness of the factory RFTs. What suspension upgrades do you guys recommand I should get while keeping the stock ride height (is that even possible)?

-Upgrade the various bushings to aftermarket items.

-Depending on the situation, I might get some BMS or VRSF spacers to pump the stock 17" wheels out a bit...

What do you guys think?

Heres the car the day I bought it (outside hasn't changed since day 1):

I'm loving the Camry ride height and offsets...

93 R33 Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-II piggyback|3" Turbo Back Exhaust + Highflow Cat|FMIC|Boost Tee|Apexi POD| Shitty Chinese spec tires = sideways action everywhere
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
bmwheath
11 second stock turbo club. 11.6@120mph
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

A quilted rug for the back parcel tray with a bowling hat?? Will top off the sleeper look nicely : )
JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

You'll probably want to upgrade to wheels that give you a decent selection and are wide enough to run a 255-275 rear tyre to put the power down.

Rear subframe bushings are the main thing that takes the edge off the crashiness of the run flats. These will not be optimal once you get proper tyres on.

Stock camber is woeful, get some extra front end lateral grip with M3 control arms. Pull the alignment pins in the struts so you can get a little extra camber on top of that.

Cos you'll be on stock springs which are quite soft, you'll probably want to increase the roll stiffness with front and rear sways.

Would be interesting to see if the stock springs and dampers would still work well with this setup or if its a bit too soft. I suspect the dampers probably wont be up to the job
      09-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Cos you'll be on stock springs which are quite soft, you'll probably want to increase the roll stiffness with front and rear sways.

Would be interesting to see if the stock springs and dampers would still work well with this setup or if its a bit too soft. I suspect the dampers probably wont be up to the job
Would a swap to m sport suspension work out better?

If I can't keep the stock granny height,what would be highest (as close to stock height as possible) I can get it with aftermarket suspension parts?

Last week I drove over some pot holes on some crappy WA rural B roads, stock granny height suspension soaked it nice and we'll, if this was my mate's lowered s15 he would probably end up with some broken parts... Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
Would a swap to m sport suspension work out better?

If I can't keep the stock granny height,what would be highest (as close to stock height as possible) I can get it with aftermarket suspension parts?

Last week I drove over some pot holes on some crappy WA rural B roads, stock granny height suspension soaked it nice and we'll, if this was my mate's lowered s15 he would probably end up with some broken parts... Lol
You could go for an upgraded damper and keep your stock springs to retain the stock ride height. Alternatively go for M sport springs on upgraded damper. Might be able to find some M sport springs from someone who has upgraded theirs with lowering springs for cheap.

What is your opinion on the current setup of your car at the moment? Too much understeer? Don't like the body roll? Rear end feels nervous over bumps under power? The suggestions I made are based on my personal preference, but everyone has different ideas on setting up their daily
      09-06-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

you can have my m sport springs for $50 you pay postage
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
you can have my m sport springs for $50 you pay postage
Interested... you wouldn't happen to have the matching M-dampers/shocks too would you?

How much would postage be?

93 R33 Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-II piggyback|3" Turbo Back Exhaust + Highflow Cat|FMIC|Boost Tee|Apexi POD| Shitty Chinese spec tires = sideways action everywhere
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Interested... you wouldn't happen to have the matching M-dampers/shocks too would you?

How much would postage be?
Yup I have the shocks also! you can have them for another $80

Postage hmm whats your post code?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I can source oem m3 sway bars fair cheap for those that are keen - shoot me a PM
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yup I have the shocks also! you can have them for another $80

Postage hmm whats your post code?
6036, just thought of something I forgot the check before hand...

does the E92 (I presume from your car ID) use the same suspension stuff as a E90?

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
6036, just thought of something I forgot the check before hand...

does the E92 (I presume from your car ID) use the same suspension stuff as a E90?
AFAIK its all interchangeable yes
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK its all interchangeable yes
If you can get back to me with a price on postage I'm probably gonna buy the set.

Cheers

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If you can get back to me with a price on postage I'm probably gonna buy the set.

Cheers
OK sure

Whats your post code?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #15
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep

Looks like my rfts are about to wear out, so I thought I would ditch them and swap to normal high performance tyres. Looking at grabbing some Michelin pilot super sports, however they don't come in 17" size and no local shop in WA seem to stock them.

So I I thought I might grab some 'cheapish' 18 wheels to fit them. Looking at either getting some replica bmw bm588 wheels from ozzytires they are 8.5" width.

Thinking of fitting some mp-ss in 245/40/18 on them)(wanted the 235 size, but tyresales are out of stock for that size) would there be any potential problems here?

The other wheels I looked at was some gtc gt-cs wheels, those come with 8.5" front and 9.5" rears, so I'm guessing I'll be running a wider 255 or 265 in the back. Would this extra width cause additional fitment issues with with the stock suspension?

Other wheel options I really want is the bmw 313, but no one seems to be selling replicas of these and I don't feel like paying over $2K for wheels which I'll probably scrap on gutter eventually.

What do you guys reckon?

If anyone has any bmw 313 wheels for sale, let me know ;D
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
TheDifference
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M Sport 320D

Quote:
The other wheels I looked at was some gtc gt-cs wheels, those come with 8.5" front and 9.5" rears, so I'm guessing I'll be running a wider 255 or 265 in the back. Would this extra width cause additional fitment issues with with the stock suspension?
i had the gt-cs on mine with staggered widths 8.5 front and 10 at the back. with m sport suspension they fit with only one slight issue - the back would rub with a full car load. in fact, the wheels that i have now are 9.5 all around and fit easily until i went with coilovers.

so i would comfortably say you will be fine (unless pre LCI suspension is drastically different, which i would highly doubt)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 02:20 AM   #17
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Looks like my rfts are about to wear out, so I thought I would ditch them and swap to normal high performance tyres. Looking at grabbing some Michelin pilot super sports, however they don't come in 17" size and no local shop in WA seem to stock them.

So I I thought I might grab some 'cheapish' 18 wheels to fit them. Looking at either getting some replica bmw bm588 wheels from ozzytires they are 8.5" width.

Thinking of fitting some mp-ss in 245/40/18 on them)(wanted the 235 size, but tyresales are out of stock for that size) would there be any potential problems here?

Other wheel options I really want is the bmw 313, but no one seems to be selling replicas of these and I don't feel like paying over $2K for wheels which I'll probably scrap on gutter eventually.

What do you guys reckon?

If anyone has any bmw 313 wheels for sale, let me know ;D
Some guys seems to get away with m3 spec rubber on 18's retrofitted to non ///M's, otherwise sell the rubber for $800 and you have some cool $1000 rims

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/taren...es-/1091840488
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 02:35 AM   #18
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs
I can source oem m3 sway bars fair cheap for those that are keen - shoot me a PM
Pm'd
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #19
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep

Ok...

This

Or

This?

Both are 18", but the BMW replica ones come in as a set of 4 18x8.5 while the GTC ones have 2x 18x8.5 and 2x 18x9.5.

Which means, the BMW replica ones are more expensive ($1760 vs $1220), but I could just run 235 or 245 tyres all round and save on tire prices (MP-SS seem to be sold out of 235 sizes, so I'll have to go with 245/40/18).

If I get the GTC ones I'll need to go 255/40/18 on the rears which are more expensive again (265s seem to be sold out as well).

I have about a week to decide until my credit card rolls onto next month pay...

Suggestions?

K-go!

Also is there any other brand tires similar to the MP-SS(s) but are cheaper?

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #20
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep

Actually after reading some more on speedo accuracy after changing wheel sizes, it looks like for my stock 45 tire profile, I need to go with a 35 tire profile to minize changes to speedo accuracy?

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #21
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Use the calculator at the top of this page for your ideal sizing (incl speedo accuracy)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12