E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is the Alpina Flash still recommended?

09-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Is the Alpina Flash still recommended?

3 years ago when I got my car and installed a tune, it was highly recommended to do the Alpina flash to keep the AT from slipping over time. The consensus on this forum back then was the Alpina TCU flash was designed to handle more torque on the Alpina B3. People were experiencing their AT’s slipping over time due to the increased torque.

Now that time has passed and we know more, is this still true and recommended? I ask because for one I don’t like how the Alpina flash behaves. The other reason is some lessons have been learned, like the JB4 was not allowing the TCU to see the true load because of fake signals sent to the DME. I have never run the JB4, but this stuff I have read many times from people on this forum.

So is the consensus that Alpina is still the best thing for your AT? Is it maybe only needed for upgraded turbos and not just FBO? IF the Alpina flash is still recommended, is there a version that is best to run?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Great question. I have and 09 XI Coupe with many mods. I started with the JB4 and that was a very powerfull mod but i think it hurts our A/T's due to false readings to the TCU (IMO). I know that doesn't answer you question but i think this will. Manufacturers want A/T's to shift very smoothly, people who mod don't want this because amoung other things, smooth means slip and that increases wear. Anything (flash tune for ECU and TCU) that decreases slip (makes shift more positive) will be better for longevity on anything clutch disc related in the transmission. On the other hand, increased power equals more wear and or likely hood of hard part failure (snap rings ect), pick you poisen.
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Well there are now 2 Alpina flashes out there. Or there always were 2 just the second was found only recently (last year or so). An earlier (in terms of when it was written) one and a later one, they are both found in the usual daten files. The later one is the one first and most widely flashed. Some have reported issues with the earlier one. I have been running the later file version for years and recently flashed the earlier one. The earlier one for my car (FBO + meth + BMS backend race flash) at least seems to shift a bit better.

I don't think anyone knows what is really going on in the TCU and shift points, line pressures etc. I think it is a safe bet that they are both designed for higher TQ levels.

One new thing is JB4 has some new firmware out (v31.1 and later I think) that remaps pedal-throttle to boost (menu 11) more aggressively. It makes the D mode on Alpina much more pleasant to drive and not so dead.

I am guessing the original Alpina B3 ECU & TCU programming were better matched, and flashing only the TCU with Alpina left D mode with incompatible OEM throttle mapping. Which we all blamed on the flash when in fact it may have been meant to go with a different ECU map. Now most/all of that is gone with recent JB4 firmware.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

I don't think there is any downside with the alpine flash. Been running one ever since I went FBO two years and been running full e85 with bms e85 backend flash for the last few months as well. No problem with it at all for the last 20k miles, and that's with close to two dozen road course events.

You might hate the auto mode, since it shifts very early in the rpm. Not a problem if you just paddle your own gear like me though.

Change fluid and trans pan if you got some miles on it though.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

You dont want to change your fluid if you have 85k-90k miles on your car. Our transmission fluid is "suppose" to be a lifetime fluid. When its been in so long its not a good idea to change since the OEM fluid has already bonded to all the little metal pieces that are in the transmission itself and when you change the fluid, the viscosity is not going to be the same therefore not being able to provide proper lubrication and could possibly lead to early transmission failure....From what I have heard, people say under 80K miles is ok to change the trans fluid. Not a transmission expert so I dont know for sure but

just my 2cents
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
I don't think there is any downside with the alpine flash. Been running one ever since I went FBO two years and been running full e85 with bms e85 backend flash for the last few months as well. No problem with it at all for the last 20k miles, and that's with close to two dozen road course events.

You might hate the auto mode, since it shifts very early in the rpm. Not a problem if you just paddle your own gear like me though.

Change fluid and trans pan if you got some miles on it though.
If you have a JB4 try the newer firmware and set menu 11 to 1500 or higher. Alpina D mode is completely different, seems to really like more aggressive throttle mapping.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

my 07 was built october 2006. is there still no flash for me?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
If you have a JB4 try the newer firmware and set menu 11 to 1500 or higher. Alpina D mode is completely different, seems to really like more aggressive throttle mapping.
I prefer a smooth and predictable throttle and boost mapping (I even lowered the PID gain to 5 because of that) much easier to balance the car on its edge. Never bother with D unless I am stuck in a stop and go traffic
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #9
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I am still very happy, I switched to the earlier flash as I have a 2008 MY built in late 2007 and it seems to like that flash better and D mode is a bit better in my book.

Turbo_power4ever no love for you, you have to have a Trans TCU that has the larger memory in it which I think is March 07 or newer, only fix is to pull the pan and swap to a newer TCU and have it coded to the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
I am still very happy, I switched to the earlier flash as I have a 2008 MY built in late 2007 and it seems to like that flash better and D mode is a bit better in my book.

Turbo_power4ever no love for you, you have to have a Trans TCU that has the larger memory in it which I think is March 07 or newer, only fix is to pull the pan and swap to a newer TCU and have it coded to the car.
Appreciate 0