THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228xi First Impressions

09-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Thumbs down 228xi First Impressions

I took delivery this past Saturday, turning in my 128i as a lease termination. I have owned almost 20 cars in my life, among the first a 1967 BMW 1600-2, and most recently, a progression of 3 series coupes starting with a 1995 e36, ending with a 2010 e82. I most recently went to a 1 series because I just could not seeing spending the money on a 4 - essentially a luxury coupe with little driving appeal.

Of all the cars I've owned and driven, the 128 was the most fun and the car that came closest to capturing BMW in "the old days", particularly the 2002 - a car I drove a great deal as a driver for a BMW dealership in Queens NY in the mid '70s. SO, what about my new 228xi?

To say that this car recalls the original 2002 is about as far as one can come to the truth in advertising. While the M235i might do so - I have not driven that vehicle - the 228i is nothing at all like the 2002. It provides nothing that approaches the driving experience of that car - or of the 128 that I turned in. As an all-wheel drive, it is an automatic, the first I have owned. Yes, of course that changes the experience, but if it were a 6-speed, I might have trouble driving as with the windows closed there is no engine sound to guide shifting. A minor point I guess.

A second thing missing in comparison to the 2002 and the 128 is any semblance of road feel. The steering is so over assisted that I find myself driving '1 handed' as I used to with my father's 1968 Plymouth Fury 3. This is the case regardless of the driving mode I choose. Yes, I understand, electronic assist vs. hydraulic removes load on the engine, thereby improving fuel economy and emissions. Yet one has to assume that it is possible with the electronics to 'tweak' the feel in such a way to mimic what one gets with hydraulic assist, and for whatever reason, BMW failed to do this. It's not like they had trouble selling cars and therefore had to appeal to the luxury segment and not the sporting segment.

The car is fast for sure, even with the 4 cylinder turbo vs the 6. It is well appointed. It is as big as my old e36, representing the size creep that is occurring across the BMW spectrum.

In short, the car is so far a very big disappointment. I could not recommend it to anyone interested in a driver's car.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that, I'm in love with my cab! Wanted a Porsche Boxster but couldn't live with the ingress/egress issues as a DD...the 2 series was a perfect fit for me, some luxury and some sport in a nice, small package.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburg View Post
I took delivery this past Saturday, turning in my 128i as a lease termination. I have owned almost 20 cars in my life, among the first a 1967 BMW 1600-2, and most recently, a progression of 3 series coupes starting with a 1995 e36, ending with a 2010 e82. I most recently went to a 1 series because I just could not seeing spending the money on a 4 - essentially a luxury coupe with little driving appeal.

Of all the cars I've owned and driven, the 128 was the most fun and the car that came closest to capturing BMW in "the old days", particularly the 2002 - a car I drove a great deal as a driver for a BMW dealership in Queens NY in the mid '70s. SO, what about my new 228xi?

To say that this car recalls the original 2002 is about as far as one can come to the truth in advertising. While the M235i might do so - I have not driven that vehicle - the 228i is nothing at all like the 2002. It provides nothing that approaches the driving experience of that car - or of the 128 that I turned in. As an all-wheel drive, it is an automatic, the first I have owned. Yes, of course that changes the experience, but if it were a 6-speed, I might have trouble driving as with the windows closed there is no engine sound to guide shifting. A minor point I guess.

A second thing missing in comparison to the 2002 and the 128 is any semblance of road feel. The steering is so over assisted that I find myself driving '1 handed' as I used to with my father's 1968 Plymouth Fury 3. This is the case regardless of the driving mode I choose. Yes, I understand, electronic assist vs. hydraulic removes load on the engine, thereby improving fuel economy and emissions. Yet one has to assume that it is possible with the electronics to 'tweak' the feel in such a way to mimic what one gets with hydraulic assist, and for whatever reason, BMW failed to do this. It's not like they had trouble selling cars and therefore had to appeal to the luxury segment and not the sporting segment.

The car is fast for sure, even with the 4 cylinder turbo vs the 6. It is well appointed. It is as big as my old e36, representing the size creep that is occurring across the BMW spectrum.

In short, the car is so far a very big disappointment. I could not recommend it to anyone interested in a driver's car.
Did you not test drive one before taking delivery?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Did you not test drive one before taking delivery?
Also my question, as tastes will vary widely. I'm probably going to get flamed a bit on this one, but an all wheel drive automatic (which the 2002 never offered!) is indeed a different experience than a rear wheel drive stick, particularly once you go beyond the base suspension (MSport or Track Package). Not sure if the OP was being tongue-in-cheek or serious, but isn't the tach a better indication of shift points than sound? The old 2002s I drove had tachs.

Anyway, sorry you have buyer's/lessee's remorse and hope your next choice works out better. For the record, the M235i is just faster but otherwise similar to an equivalent chassis MSport or Track Package 228i for driving experience. But, again, that engine would place it further away from the old 2002 4-cylinder experience.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-29-2015 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

test drive next time.

seriously a 10 min drive before spending 40,000 dollars could have told you just about everything you posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

How come this modern car doesn't feel like a 30 year old car or the previous generation with a different drivetrain? I can't believe someone would buy or lease a car without a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
DJRobNM
Rep
Drives: 2015 228xi Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
How come this modern car doesn't feel like a 30 year old car or the previous generation with a different drivetrain? I can't believe someone would buy or lease a car without a test drive.
I leased my 228x vert without a test drive because I understood what I was getting into. My last convertible was an S2000 and seeing as how that car weighed 1000lbs less and wasn't awd, I'm not at all disappointed.

If I had one thing to do differently, I would have gotten summer tires so I could swap them out with snows and have the best of both worlds.

2019 m240ix Convertible / Grey / Coral Red / Premium / HK
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #8
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

228i Xdrive is the worst combination for 2 series you can buy in North America
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
+1 especially as a "drivers car"

If you wanted all wheel drive you should have gone audi, BMWs x drive is not nearly as good as quatro, AND you are comparing the previous cars you driven that are arguably some of the better/best drivers cars ever made to a grocery getting mall crawler that does OK in snow...

Why you didnt test drive this is beyond me....Sorry your un happy, sorry you also had to learn a 40k lesson.

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobNM View Post
I leased my 228x vert without a test drive because I understood what I was getting into. My last convertible was an S2000 and seeing as how that car weighed 1000lbs less and wasn't awd, I'm not at all disappointed.

If I had one thing to do differently, I would have gotten summer tires so I could swap them out with snows and have the best of both worlds.
I should have phrased that differently. Someone so picky about driving feel should probably test drive before purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

There is a huge difference between driving a car you love and driving a car you respect. Foe me, "love" was my Lotus Elan, a sensation that I could have replicated with an Alpha Romeo 4C which makes no concessions to practicality and is a pure seat-of-the-pants driving experience. However, I have two teenagers that need to be carted about and had to get a 2 + 2. It's not just manufacturers that make modern cars stodgy for the sake of comfort, luxury and advanced functionality, it's regulators, who are stricter in the US than anywhere else in the world.

Having said that, I got the 228i M Sport so that I could tune the living daylights out of it (while preserving warranty coverage). Suspension mods will re-map the shocks and dial out body roll and much understeer, a good engine tune will make the throttle more responsive, cut turbo lag and enhance acceleration greatly and an exhaust mod will make the car sound appropriately sporty. All modern cars come off the production line a bit bound up; it's a deliberate manufacturers' policy to protect their end of leasing arrangements. The 228i is a fantastic tuner platform; I chose this car in order to tune it and get it set up like a real sports coupe and am happy with the compromise I made not to do so with a 235i as this would have put me in M2 territory, expense-wise. The result is a car that has all the refinement of a modern BMW and the character of a fierce street car. Yes, there are a few remaining compromises such as the lack of visceral steering feel, but now I don't just respect my 228i, I really, really like it. "Love" will come with the balls-out 2-seater I get when the kids are up and out.

So, you have made an unfortunate choice, sadly. As someone said, 4-wheel drive is not the way to go if you want a true driver's car (not from BMW anyway) and many suspension mods available for the RWD will not be available for the AWD. I believe that if you do not get the Track Handling Package, you can never look at the 228i as more than a really good luxury coupe as opposed to a car that can be driven aggressively because it communicates really well through its suspension. And tuning brings out the true Jeckyll and Hyde nature of the beast. Your modern 2-Series will never replicate the 2002, not just because it is more "bloated" with luxury and high technology but because, in stock form, that's not what it was designed to do.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
JP Medina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235 Auto AW/Red H/K

If I was at that point I would sell it... there is people out there waiting for the chance to drive a 2 series wichever combination... let them enjoy it, you will loose money for sure, but will make at least 2 people happy (the next owner and yourself).
Then you could always look for a pristine 2002 to buy and have all that feelings you want!
Cheers and good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

A MY2015 isn't too much like a 30+ year old BMW? Who'd a thought?! I figured technologies couldn't have changed too much in the automotive field in 30 years?!

Sorry you're so stuck in your ways OP. It's unfortunate that you have to degrade and bash the 228i because it's not like a 30 year old 2002 or even a big bulky 128i that carries over the same horrible heavy steering feel from the e9x.

The 228i has gotten glowing reviews from actual automotive enthusiasts who are up to date. Many track teams have traded in their e36/e46 cars in favor of the f22 228 and I haven't seen one bit of negative information yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Honestly, the closest anything modern comes to the 2002 is the Mini Cooper -- and not the 'S' model but the regular one, and probably not the 2015- present Gen 3 model but the Gen 2 model before it.

Dimensions, wheelbase, etc. -- even curb weight (2,200 vs. 2,500) -- is fairly similar. It just lacks RWD and a trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #15
vh2720
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230xi

I love my 228xi. If you want road feel, get rid of the run-flats immediately! I thought my car had a steering problem when I got the car because I never had run-flats before. I even posted the issue here. The steering felt hard to control, I felt like the car wasn’t gripping the road, and I was always making microcorrections to track straight. Steering was work. Then I switched the Pirellis the car came for Michelin PS A/S tires and all my steering complaints vanished. It felt like I finally had the fun performance car I thought I bought. Putting the car in sport mode on a curvy mountain road gives me all the driving experience I could ask for. I got the xi because I drive to the Sierras during the winter, and on the few occasions I encountered weather, I felt confident in the xdrive.

The Pirelli run-flats lasted about 12k miles and then within a month and a half I blew out three of them on potholes. It turns out run-flats are more susceptible to flat tires. When the fourth one started bubbling, I replaced them all – I have three virtually brand new Pirellis in the garage (which I’ll sell cheap to anyone who does not care about steering feel). Driving any distance on a flat run-flat is not pleasant. I would rather stay put and wait for the tow truck, though I did buy the mobility kit. It’s not like you can drive to your local gas station and get a new tire anyway. What used to be a minor inconvenience on the side of the road in the days of spares is now an ordeal involving at least a change of plans and/or a rental car because even your local BMW dealer may not have the tire in stock, and it may take a few hours or a day to get it.

Maybe part of your disappointment is not because of the car but the switch from standard to automatic, which makes for a less active and engaged driving experience. You must have switched to automatic because you wanted to take it a little easier, as I did. You should get the new tires, then sit back, adjust the lumbar support, check out all those stations on Sirius, and enjoy. This is a fantastic little car, not one to have buyer’s remorse about.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

So, the procedural error of not incorporating a studious test drive into the buying process means the identified shortcomings don't exist and the OP should not be disappointed? Maybe he lives 2 hrs from the nearest dealer and this wasn't practical. Maybe he had come to trust BMW to build a drivers cars. Expecting a 128 to be similar to a 228 is probably a reasonable expectation. How would he know that AWD would suck the joy out of the car? And the steering, who would have thought that BMW would put that crap on one of their cars?

I'm not interested in attacking his buying process. I believe him when he says the car is not any fun to drive for the very reasons he cited: steering and road feel. That is my take away from his comments and I applaud those trying to help out with suggestions to improve the car (tires for instance).

(And there are people who look at a tach to shift a manual just in day to day driving rather than listening to the engine? Really? No wonder auto's are taking over)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #17
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
A MY2015 isn't too much like a 30+ year old BMW? Who'd a thought?! I figured technologies couldn't have changed too much in the automotive field in 30 years?!

Sorry you're so stuck in your ways OP. It's unfortunate that you have to degrade and bash the 228i because it's not like a 30 year old 2002 or even a big bulky 128i that carries over the same horrible heavy steering feel from the e9x.

The 228i has gotten glowing reviews from actual automotive enthusiasts who are up to date. Many track teams have traded in their e36/e46 cars in favor of the f22 228 and I haven't seen one bit of negative information yet.
It is the Op's first impression, does not have anything to do with what others think about the car. As long as he is not trolling, his opinion is as valid as other forum members.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235i View Post
It is the Op's first impression, does not have anything to do with what others think about the car. As long as he is not trolling, his opinion is as valid as other forum members.
Nobody has said it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
(And there are people who look at a tach to shift a manual just in day to day driving rather than listening to the engine? Really? No wonder auto's are taking over)
There may be, but the original point was that you don't need your window down for sound to figure it out. Having less exhaust/engine sound doesn't make the car less driveable. You should be able to feel where you are on the torque curve by pure sensation, even with the sound system overwhelming the engine sound.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #20
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
+1 especially as a "drivers car"

If you wanted all wheel drive you should have gone audi, BMWs x drive is not nearly as good as quatro, AND you are comparing the previous cars you driven that are arguably some of the better/best drivers cars ever made to a grocery getting mall crawler that does OK in snow...

Why you didnt test drive this is beyond me....Sorry your un happy, sorry you also had to learn a 40k lesson.
Says the person who has probably not driven the 2er xdrive... I don't know if the system is the same between 228 and 235, but mine drives very nearly like RWD, especially with all traction control off. I also own Audi and while I can get the tail to swing out a bit, I can wag the rear 5 times more in the 2er.

OP sounds like you made a serious mistake in your purchase, but the 228 is a peach of a car with track pack. If you have the auto, have you played around with the drive modes? Do you manual shift? I shift with paddles or stick 90% of the time and the control is exceptional. You can even bounce off the rev limiter if in sport+ and not paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #21
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
There is a huge difference between driving a car you love and driving a car you respect. Foe me, "love" was my Lotus Elan, a sensation that I could have replicated with an Alpha Romeo 4C which makes no concessions to practicality and is a pure seat-of-the-pants driving experience. However, I have two teenagers that need to be carted about and had to get a 2 + 2. It's not just manufacturers that make modern cars stodgy for the sake of comfort, luxury and advanced functionality, it's regulators, who are stricter in the US than anywhere else in the world.

Having said that, I got the 228i M Sport so that I could tune the living daylights out of it (while preserving warranty coverage). Suspension mods will re-map the shocks and dial out body roll and much understeer, a good engine tune will make the throttle more responsive, cut turbo lag and enhance acceleration greatly and an exhaust mod will make the car sound appropriately sporty. All modern cars come off the production line a bit bound up; it's a deliberate manufacturers' policy to protect their end of leasing arrangements. The 228i is a fantastic tuner platform; I chose this car in order to tune it and get it set up like a real sports coupe and am happy with the compromise I made not to do so with a 235i as this would have put me in M2 territory, expense-wise. The result is a car that has all the refinement of a modern BMW and the character of a fierce street car. Yes, there are a few remaining compromises such as the lack of visceral steering feel, but now I don't just respect my 228i, I really, really like it. "Love" will come with the balls-out 2-seater I get when the kids are up and out.

So, you have made an unfortunate choice, sadly. As someone said, 4-wheel drive is not the way to go if you want a true driver's car (not from BMW anyway) and many suspension mods available for the RWD will not be available for the AWD. I believe that if you do not get the Track Handling Package, you can never look at the 228i as more than a really good luxury coupe as opposed to a car that can be driven aggressively because it communicates really well through its suspension. And tuning brings out the true Jeckyll and Hyde nature of the beast. Your modern 2-Series will never replicate the 2002, not just because it is more "bloated" with luxury and high technology but because, in stock form, that's not what it was designed to do.
I like what you've done with your car, and your postings have been very helpful. Given your experience I'm thinking of doing a DINAN Stage 1 too next year. I'm still in the break-in period (under 700 mi so far due to travel) and have yet to learn how the car drives when pushed. It may be more than fast enough for me without a tune. I'll decide later.

The Lotus Elan that you loved and the E46 323Ci I loved were not very fast by today's standards, yet they were both a lot of fun to drive. They were designed for great handling. Balanced, nimble, great steering feedback, RWD traction characteristics, .... Maybe sub 5 second acceleration matters a lot on the track but not so much in normal use. Of course faster feels great on its own. That's a somewhat different kind of fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #22
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Sorry to hear the 228i xDrive did not meet expectations. Having owned BMW's with and without xDrive, with certainty I can say xDrive marginalizes the performance. However, driving a 228 and M235 with xDrive neither resembled the floating sensation most have experienced.
Appreciate 0