E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 Rear wiper Seized

10-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Wayne-G
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MG F30 330d Msport xDrive

E91 Rear wiper Seized

Looking for some help on my rear wiper, was just driving along one day and I noticed that the wiper hadn't gone back to the set start position after a wipe cycle. I moved the wiper back to where the start position then as soon as I attempted a wipe cycle it just went back to where it was..

I then came out of work one night and tried to wipe the rear screen and it didn't even attempt to move at all.

Had it in for a service today at Bmw today and they notified it during their health check that the spindle is seized and a new one would be £180 blah blah...

I imagine its a common fault on the tourings, is there a simple DIY I can do without getting a new one?

Wayne.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

It's a common problem. You often see e91s with the rear wiper stuck up like that.

There is a little metal rod/pin on the underside of the glass connected to the wiper. It's on a spring and engages in the hole on a disc attached to the motor within the boot door. Your metal pin will likely be stuck in. You need to grip it with a pair of pliers and pull it out. Use something like wd40 or better and press in and out until it springs back freely.

I always give the pin a couple of presses when I open the hatch so rust doesn't seize it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Wayne-G
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallsmk2 View Post
It's a common problem. You often see e91s with the rear wiper stuck up like that.

There is a little metal rod/pin on the underside of the glass connected to the wiper. It's on a spring and engages in the hole on a disc attached to the motor within the boot door. Your metal pin will likely be stuck in. You need to grip it with a pair of pliers and pull it out. Use something like wd40 or better and press in and out until it springs back freely.

I always give the pin a couple of presses when I open the hatch so rust doesn't seize it up.
Yeah i've spotted a few like that now mines been like that for a week or two.

Had a quick search after I posted this and I found some similar info, think i'll go and have a look while i'm off work! Thanks for the info, see if I have any joy or i'll order a new motor for it and fit it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Kenebell
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325d E91

I had the same problem and found this, great write up with pics,

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Rear-wiper-fix!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
Wayne-G
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenebell View Post
I had the same problem and found this, great write up with pics,

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Rear-wiper-fix!
Thanks for the link, i'm gonna keep using some penetration fluid for a couple of days then have a go at the weekend possibly, just hope I haven't burnt out the motor!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:36 AM   #6
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep

The thing I use to remove rust on things like this where you don't want to disassemble everything is deoxit. Not the most obvious choice but it works. Then lubricate with somehting like bilt hamber's ferrosol which is magic.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:37 AM   #7
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-G View Post
Thanks for the link, i'm gonna keep using some penetration fluid for a couple of days then have a go at the weekend possibly, just hope I haven't burnt out the motor!
You can easily test the motor by opening the lid and activating the wiper. You'll see the disc moving if all is ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Wayne-G
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The thing I use to remove rust on things like this where you don't want to disassemble everything is deoxit. Not the most obvious choice but it works. Then lubricate with somehting like bilt hamber's ferrosol which is magic.
Quote:
You can easily test the motor by opening the lid and activating the wiper. You'll see the disc moving if all is ok.
Cheers i'm gonna order a couple of products to try and sort it, all I have is wd40/all in one stuff so not the best stuff really, Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0